Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #1456
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
I attempted repairing the fork tubes with epoxy. Didn't work. Tried super glue. Didn't work. Gouges are too deep. So I tossed it back together and said screw it let's ride.

Bike needs tires for sure but I did manage to get over a large rock that has been my nemesis for quite some time. I dabbed on the top of it but at least got over it. Should be better come spring time.

Andrew Gore
Depth of the gouges shouldnt be a problem as far as repairing, you wont ever be perfect unless you have same genes as say Chip Foose or someone like him, ya know, takes patience. What helps me have the patience is thinking of all the money and effort it takes to not have to spend a few hundred..

the problem is having the patience to fill and sand careflly til it is pretty smooth. rememeber, the bad spot, you have to clean it very very well, after all they are soaked with oil when used. the seals if they are NOT torn from the damage, are fairly flexible... So, if you can get the damage to be less of a divit, less oil will come out each time the fork damage passes through the seal... even perfectly good forks will have a film of oil on them all the time...

ANDyou can loosen the tripple clamps on that side, and when you're done with most of your repair, spin the fork a little, let it wear on a different part of the seal for a while. But if seal got ripped up from damage, you might have to put seals in. Those older forks are easier to replace seals in IMHO because the unscrew off you replace seal and put back on, if I recall correctly... Maybe it was my older 99 321 that did that.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #1457
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Looks like you had a good day! Did you break your suspension? All the pictures today show no sag at all!!! Ha! Ha!
Yea I think I need to back off the preload a bit.

Some pictures with the bike under riding weight. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=20
I did notice that Handy's rear suspension seems way more compressed than mine and he is no where as fat as I am. Of course that skinny little bike makes me look fatter than I really am.

Still have the idea I NEED heavier springs. Have some 10W fork oil coming and going to try that. My bike's suspension was just fine.......until we did that whole "swap" thing. I hope others learn from my experience to be faithful to your bike.

SCExpat screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 09:13 AM Reason: Ad link to pics.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #1458
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Yea I think I need to back off the preload a bit.

Some pictures with the bike under riding weight. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=20
I did notice that Handy's rear suspension seems way more compressed than mine and he is no where as fat as I am. Of course that skinny little bike makes me look fatter than I really am.

Still have the idea I NEED heavier springs. Have some 10W fork oil coming and going to try that. My bike's suspension was just fine.......until we did that whole "swap" thing. I hope others learn from my experience to be faithful to your bike.
Getting the suspension set up right on any dirt bike will make life more wonderful! Some will tell you that it is not as important on trials bikes, but IMO that is just BS. Get the right springs, invest in a shock (if needed) ,and the 10 wt oil will just slow things down. If you are bottoming at the end of the stroke, after getting the right spring, mess with the clickers a bit and you can also try adding about 10mm of the correct (usually 5W) oil at a time to the fork oil level until it quits bottoming hard and then take a little bit back out. YRMV Oh yeah, all 5W fork oils are not created equal. Bel-Ray 5W is more like a 7-10W. I use Motorex in all my forks. It seems to be the correct viscosity.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #1459
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
Gordy`s right, get the right springs but still use 5wt oil to keep the suspension working right. That is why the new bike you rode felt so good! You never did say if you had the owners manual?
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #1460
amcross
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Playing in the NY day snow...

brrrr....it's COLLLD out there today, but still fun! spent a good bit of time working on 'nearly full lock' turns, difficult with frozen fingers esp on thick grass coasted with a thin sheen of ice!

amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #1461
amcross
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Mikey remembering an old skill in the NY day snow...

Mikey and his gasgas were having fun recalling an old skill from his riding days 20+ years ago...
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...99428222_n.jpg

PS: Look carefully -- there IS a trials helmet under the winter cap!! (the cap is too small and he's stretching it...)
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #1462
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,774
I looked at mine today. It's still under the tarp.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #1463
Gordy
Team Listo

I finally manged to get my New Years Day ride in. I'm still dealing with the after-effects of the flu so 30 minutes in the back yard has me soaking with sweat and out of breath.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #1464
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
That south valley must be awful warm!! Rode down the driveway after a good washing, Tore apart the linkage and everything is fine. Just another lucky day being a GasGas owner.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #1465
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,250
I went out screwing around and found a canyon I had never seen before (I knkow my picture skills suck)

Been all the way around it but never in it

I had a lot of fun in it

just loots of cool stuff but a lot of it I wanted a spotter for

so I jumped over the hill to a familiar area

getting this new year off to a good start

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #1466
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Neat area

76 TY175
Whitehawk 80
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #1467
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,875
That's some great looking stuff grizzz! Neat area!!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #1468
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
That's some great looking stuff grizzz! Neat area!!
We've been trying to get you down there for what?

About four years?? Vamanos!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #1469
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
We've been trying to get you down there for what?

About four years?? Vamanos!

I know, I know.. I really do need to get down there and check that area out.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #1470
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Gordy`s right, get the right springs but still use 5wt oil to keep the suspension working right. That is why the new bike you rode felt so good! You never did say if you had the owners manual?
I do have the owners manual. But.....I thought that the stronger spring would over power the rebound just as my weight over powers the dampening so a heavier weight oil would help. Then I would be able to get the adjusters more in the middle of the range and not at the end. I have been bottoming out the forks but it does not hit hard like on other bikes I have had.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote