User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Sparx MacGyver OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
What to do with and ATC200M Motor?

So, as my sig says, I've got an old Honda Odyssey FL250 with an ATC200M motor in it. I'm tearing the Ody apart and giving it a rebuild with a bigger motor, adding suspension, bit better braking system, and some other improvements.

That's not what this is about. This is about that ATC200M motor. What do I do with it? It runs fairly well, so I'd like to re-use it in another project. I thought about throwing it in a CT90 frame, but I seriously doubt it would fit. I've considered putting in a scooter or something, but not sure.

Ideally I'd like it to be drop-in if possible, but I can figure it out if need be. Off the top of my head, I figured an older '80-'85 XR200 or even better XL200. But they are harder to find around here, at least for a decent price.

Any suggestions from you more knowledgeable people?
Sparx MacGyver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
sonic reducer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
MX chassis, ie honda CR et. al
Old 10-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
jsngrimm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx MacGyver View Post
So, as my sig says, I've got an old Honda Odyssey FL250 with an ATC200M motor in it. I'm tearing the Ody apart and giving it a rebuild with a bigger motor, adding suspension, bit better braking system, and some other improvements.

That's not what this is about. This is about that ATC200M motor. What do I do with it? It runs fairly well, so I'd like to re-use it in another project. I thought about throwing it in a CT90 frame, but I seriously doubt it would fit. I've considered putting in a scooter or something, but not sure.

Ideally I'd like it to be drop-in if possible, but I can figure it out if need be. Off the top of my head, I figured an older '80-'85 XR200 or even better XL200. But they are harder to find around here, at least for a decent price.

Any suggestions from you more knowledgeable people?
Just make it fit in the CT90 if it doesn't already. CT90s are awesome
jsngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Sparx MacGyver OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsngrimm View Post
Just make it fit in the CT90 if it doesn't already. CT90s are awesome
Absolutely agree. The CT90 is one hell of a bike. But, even if it did fit, wouldn't it cause problems to be leaning? A visual glance shows that the ATC200M motor would be leaning at about 45 degree (more or less) angle, being as it's a vertical engine and the CT90 is horizontal. I'm thinking along the lines of oil not being circulated properly causing it to over heat and seize. Though if it fit it would be wicked fast for a CT90, and I'd have to figure out the chain alignment, not to mention the fuel getting to the carb if it's higher. Eh, it probably wouldn't work and would be suicidal since the CT90 isn't designed for anything about maybe 50mph. I can always do a dry fit tomorrow, but I still have doubts.

If it fits, you wanna race? I've got a stock CT90 you can borrow.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,308
Tilt it too far and your oil won't get picked up and circulated. Very short engine life that way.
Change gears.There are plenty of dirt bikes out there - a working motor. Find one that's complete including the dead motor if possible. it's a place to start.
If you want to stay with a small bike , look at the XR 100. Your motor is too big to fit, you'll have to stretch the frame to get it in there.
So, my vote for the easy way would be a XR 200. Or any MX bike 250cc or bigger.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Try XR200R chassis

Try the XR200R chassis.

I normally use the ATC200S motors, but I have 5 XR200R chassis with ATC200 motors in them. They are '86, '87, '90, '94, '95. All are good! The easlier ones work too - '79 - '83 if you have all the stuff. The '84/'85 don't work.

Use the XR intake manifold, exhaust system, carb, CDI pulser coil and your good to go.

All you have to do is saw the front lug for the left (I think) footpeg off the ATC motor and bend the rear brake pedal out for the auto's, might not need to do this for the M version.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Sparx MacGyver OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the info guys. I could mount ti to the the CT90 frame, but I'd end up bolting to a custom brush guard/engine mount combo. Again, I won't be doing this. Anything above 50mph on that little CT just feels like too much. Seems everybody thinks their stuff is made of gold these days. Ridiculous prices for a broken machine. Nevertheless, I'll be keeping my eye out for the XR200R's. I like the idea of dropping it into the smaller XR100 bike, but I like the idea of putting the little bit of modifying to get into the XR200. Less work for the same result.