Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #1576
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
in that case, i would build the LSL Urban X...clone it, my favorite in a 100% street bike built around the ptwin platform.

That's pretty much EXACTLY what I want. Where can I find out more? Whose bike is this?
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #1577
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
That's pretty much EXACTLY what I want. Where can I find out more? Whose bike is this?
use Google to poke around for more photos and build info.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #1578
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
I did but am unfortunately not finding much in English..... will try again later.
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #1579
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I did but am unfortunately not finding much in English..... will try again later.
Google translate
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #1580
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Google translate
exactly, that way you can read the LSL catalog too.

the LSL Urban X (ER6 version) was built 5 years ago, nice job, still looks good.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #1581
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
brakes are fine with the OEM caliper, braided SS line, and either 290 or 310mm rotor. you might as well use a 310mm setup because you're going to fabricate a simple spacer/relocation bracket. i have a 4 piston caliper, but i feel the brakes are darn good without it. remember, you need a pair of rotors, because you're going to cut the center out of one for a hub block off plate on the right side.

late model DRZ400 uses the 20mm axle, same as the DL1000 wheel. the Versys and DRZ axles are the wrong length, so to make the correct size 20mm axle i used the Versys/ER6 swingarm bolt threaded and cut to length. these bolts can be found cheap.
Finally got my pair of DRZ400 fork legs. I guess the DRZ axle is to short.

Did you use a bushing of some kind to get the larger diameter that is required at one side of the axle mount when you used the versys swingarm bolt?

Do you mean the swingarm bolt or the rear wheel axle?

Hmm. I might be able to source a 12.9 bolt and a bushing at the company I work for.
kajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #1582
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer

Do you now the length of the DRZ front axle?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #1583
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajj View Post
Do you now the length of the DRZ front axle?
i'd get you the answer, but i'm not near the shop at the moment. if you're wondering whether that axle will work with the DRZ forks, DLwheel, Versys clamp combo, the answer is no.

the DL and Versys/ER6 axles do not work either, and that's why i fabbed my own axle. if i made it, ya have to know it's easy and cheap.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #1584
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
that 19" DL1000 wheel has proven versatile, really changes what the bike is about. i ran this wheel with the Versys forks and documented that change over on the Versys forum. now i have the DRZ400S forks in Versys clamps, but need to set up the same 19" wheel, including rotor/caliper.

i don't have a DRZ wheel or hub, but i do have both DRZ and DL1000 axles...no matter, can't use either. the DRZ is too short, and the DL is also too short, with the shouldered end the wrong OD. i had some other 20mm axles, but didn't feel like cutting those up. i did find a 20mm shouldered sleeve that also had the correct OD for the right fork tube axle mount. now i'm halfway there, since the left mount is a straight 20mm/pinch bolt arrangement.

axle, still need the axle. pawing through the junk box, i find a 20mm x 300mm swingarm bolt, perfect. after some careful measurements, no custom machine work is need to center the wheel, i can use oem spacers with minor adjustments with my ss washers. clip the threaded portion off the bolt, then the blank is inserted to check the spacers.

the axle gets cut to the proper length, the end threaded for a castle nut, then drilled for a pin.

can't get a custom axle any cheaper than that.
Does this have the info needed? 20mm x 300mm swingarm bolt? (Post #613)
OHjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #1585
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
i'd get you the answer, but i'm not near the shop at the moment. if you're wondering whether that axle will work with the DRZ forks, DLwheel, Versys clamp combo, the answer is no.

the DL and Versys/ER6 axles do not work either, and that's why i fabbed my own axle. if i made it, ya have to know it's easy and cheap.
Ok, thanks. I am trying to source all alternatives I can think of. To get stuff fabricate at a workshop where I live is quite expensive.

How did you thread the custom axle? By machine or one of those manual ones?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #1586
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHjim View Post
Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #1587
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajj View Post
Ok, thanks. I am trying to source all alternatives I can think of. To get stuff fabricate at a workshop where I live is quite expensive.

How did you thread the custom axle? By machine or one of those manual ones?
i don't think you could find a less expensive solution than a used swingarm bolt from a Versys or ER6 bike. this is a non wear part and are sold at near give away prices when a bike is dismantled.

i cut my new threads with a manual die in the correct metric size and pitch. use cutting oil.

if you source the swingarm bolt, but don't have a die, your local machine shop can easily extend the existing threads to your mark, then cut it to your specified length. this is not difficult work, and requires no machine tools. i was going to use a castle nut, but ended up using the OEM nut on the bolt, works fine, and i always install it with a smear of blue gel locker. there is a small sleeve with a 20mm ID used on the right fork leg, i don't recall the source off hand, but it is a factory part for a DRZ or DL or other, check the parts house schematics.

estimated time: 10 minutes of actual work, add 5 minutes for coffee, 5 minutes for BS. $20 bill at most in the States.

it is not necessary to pay a lot of money for this part.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #1588
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHjim View Post
thanks for tracking down that post, i don't always recall if i've written about the specifics or not.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #1589
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
i don't think you could find a less expensive solution than a used swingarm bolt from a Versys or ER6 bike. this is a non wear part and are sold at near give away prices when a bike is dismantled.

i cut my new threads with a manual die in the correct metric size and pitch. use cutting oil.

if you source the swingarm bolt, but don't have a die, your local machine shop can easily extend the existing threads to your mark, then cut it to your specified length. this is not difficult work, and requires no machine tools. i was going to use a castle nut, but ended up using the OEM nut on the bolt, works fine, and i always install it with a smear of blue gel locker. there is a small sleeve with a 20mm ID used on the right fork leg, i don't recall the source off hand, but it is a factory part for a DRZ or DL or other, check the parts house schematics.

estimated time: 10 minutes of actual work, add 5 minutes for coffee, 5 minutes for BS. $20 bill at most in the States.

it is not necessary to pay a lot of money for this part.
Thanks again. I`ll see how I will solve this. It is possible that I can find a bolt in the correct size at work, maybe a sleeve or bushing as well.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #1590
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
thanks for tracking down that post, i don't always recall if i've written about the specifics or not.
You're welcome. I thought I had remembered something about it, so I just had to look. Kind of made me wonder what the difference between a lurker and a stalker is though . . . .
OHjim is offline   Reply With Quote