Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #1831
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
nope...

whew, for a second there, i thought you were going to say, "if you slow down a little, the damn bike won't fall apart" ya know, somethin' like that.
Well if you got up to speeds that would make the F800 take notice, I might be worried about that. But at your normal puttering speed, I was looking for other problems.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #1832
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Well if you got up to speeds that would make the F800 take notice, I might be worried about that. But at your normal puttering speed, I was looking for other problems.

David
you're just talking smart because you got an "UNLIMITED TOWING" card in your Christmas stocking, it's safe to take the F800 out again after the snow melts. i have to give ya credit though, after riding around on the 800, you're probably darn good at finding broken stuff.

besides, the ASTM folks had to come up with some new terminology to describe the tensile strength of some of the bolts found on the F800...i think they finally settled on "pizza dough". the Versys bolts just fall out, they don't turn into pretzel shaped things.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #1833
DustyOne
Riding@6500' & up

Oddometer: 388
Reference: UNLIMITED TOWING????..............and for any towing/pickup service in general

Hey y'all......BEFORE you get too comfortable with having this service,
I OFFER A FEW WORDS OF ADVICE-----PLEASE....please, and very carefully
read all of the fine print with these services.

There are many limitations on just about all off these type of services

The limitations may include these items (or more):
1. how far they will take you after pickup (mileage)
...and it usually includes "the nearest bike repair facility"....not the place of your choice
(whether it is open or not)
2. how far they will travel to get you
3. what roads they will travel on to get you
4. if......and I mean IF they will get you at "what THEY consider off-road location"
5. how far "from the road" they will get you (meaning that if you leave the road and go over the edge/ledge/mountain)
6. how many times during the insured period that they will come out to you to provide service

Some will provide additional services or go further to pick you up or drop you off, but at a very expensive price per mile traveled.
Others may come out to your location, but upon seeing the bikes resting location, may not provide any additional service at all.
But with the reading, and prolly many phone calls to the provider, only then may you completely understand just what you are paying for.

AND JD will prolly affirm, that for most of the places he travels......the towing/service card IS USELESS!

HappyRiding!!
beemer
DustyOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #1834
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerWolf View Post
Reference: UNLIMITED TOWING????..............and for any towing/pickup service in general

Hey y'all......BEFORE you get too comfortable with having this service,
I OFFER A FEW WORDS OF ADVICE-----PLEASE....please, and very carefully
read all of the fine print with these services.
MTrider lives in a tipi out behind the barn in eastern Montana, i don't think he's real big on the fine print stuff, he'll have to keep that F800 on pavement where it belongs.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #1835
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Baja...On a Different Note

Nearing retirement I plan to build one of these Kawi Rat Bikes for a trip(s) to Alaska and back including the main drag offshoots of dirt roads for the adventure, Not interested in the scenic tour of asphalt again, did that years ago.

I'm interested in feedback on how well one of these Kawi Rat Bikes would work on a trip from the north to southern tip of Baja - Cabo and back up,,,many issues...running on low quality gas, suspension needs, etc

My build plans are for near stock Versys rear travel via a R1 shock and modified, balanced front end travel MX forks

I suspect/heard Baja roads would be much rougher and was inquiring for some input especially from the Baja side guys who have been there... ridden that

TooFast screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 05:32 PM
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #1836
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
I suspect/heard Baja roads would be much rougher and was inquiring for some input especially from the Baja side guys who have been there... ridden that
you can read the Baja ride reports and also get a lot of info from Trip Planning. Baja has a greater variety of roads than you're likely to find yourself on above 49N, your rat should handle everything but deep sand, and few 400# bikes do well there. i've had my rat upside down 3 times in deep sand, i don't have enough experience with it to be any good. just pick your route down there and go.

i'd bring a filter sock for Baja in case you fill up with jug or barrel gas, 15/50 full syn, filter pods and a spare air filter, and the usual bike prep. the fuel filter on these bikes is attached to the fuel pump and not replaceable, although i think you could try to rinse it out as a last resort.

the rat shines on the gravel roads above the border, i've been on most of them. get up there before they pave the place.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #1837
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Quote:
you're just talking smart because you got an "UNLIMITED TOWING" card in your Christmas stocking, it's safe to take the F800 out again after the snow melts. i have to give ya credit though, after riding around on the 800, you're probably darn good at finding broken stuff.

besides, the ASTM folks had to come up with some new terminology to describe the tensile strength of some of the bolts found on the F800...i think they finally settled on "pizza dough". the Versys bolts just fall out, they don't turn into pretzel shaped things.
LOL, BMW doesn't deliver warranty out to the tipi, I know that already. I think the pizza dough thing is over hyped.

But we're tallking about Ninja 650 ADV conversion in this thread. Someone also mentioned some bolts breaking.

David
Old 12-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #1838
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Quote:
LOL, BMW doesn't deliver warranty out to the tipi, I know that already. I think the pizza dough thing is over hyped.

But we're tallking about Ninja 650 ADV conversion in this thread. Someone also mentioned some bolts breaking.

David
Correction: "someone mentioned the bolts getting loose."

Sorry, I think I picked up some hyperbole from somewhere.

David
Old 12-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #1839
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:

Sorry, I think I picked up some hyperbole from somewhere.

David
it's built into those motos.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #1840
fasteddiecopeman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
making spoked wheels tubeless...

Dave - Going thru your thread I saw you wish for tubeless on your WR250, so thought I'd throw this into the mix: I posted pics, etc of converting a KLRs wheels to tubeless a few years ago here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KL...85568/pic/list

They worked well, and the pressure was still up within several psi of what I'd left them at before I headed to AZ for the winter. Took awhile, but worked damn fine!

Cheers,
Ed
(who STILL has that bottle of Old Grand Dad 101...)
fasteddiecopeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #1841
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

Login required
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #1842
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Dave - Going thru your thread I saw you wish for tubeless on your WR250, so thought I'd throw this into the mix...

Cheers,
Ed

(who STILL has that bottle of Old Grand Dad 101...)
i'll probably keep the WR as is. i haven't forgotten about that bottle, thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #1843
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Hmm... Made a quick pass at my friend's bike and didn't see anything glaring with the motor mounts. Do you have a picture of yours, since his has more plastic on it?

Regards,
David
Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #1844
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Hmm... Made a quick pass at my friend's bike and didn't see anything glaring with the motor mounts. Do you have a picture of yours, since his has more plastic on it?

Regards,
David
behind the cowling over the expansion tank. the right front mount has two M8s bolting the motormount to the frame. a M12 bolts the mount to the motor. any or all of the three can loosen. the M12 has a captured lock nut in the case casting that you can see or feel behind the headers. there might be some other covers that have to come off, i've never had all that plastic on the rat.

in the photo from the end of the Yukon trip, one of the M8s is missing. you can see the head of the M12, and that's the one that was loose this last time, the M8s were tight.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #1845
nononsense4857
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:

Thanks JD,
I was going to ask for this picture today since most of what has been posted above flew right over my head :)
Don't have access to the bike now, but will make note of this.

Have you made a mental note of all the sensors on the bike?
I always had this fear running in my mind on an endless loop during my trip. I know zero when it comes to electricals on the 650R.

I had taken the complete fairing off for the trip, but still observed some buzzing in the front only at a particular rpm... between 4000 to 4500... its been a 10k trip and i'm still searching for the source

Waiting for the XO to lift the travel ban?... nice way to put it
nononsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote