Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #1891
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,454
I plan to go somewhere between the "dongle" and KTMKLX's 3/16" steel version for rider pegs using the Fastways & CRF bolt on brackets. I broke a footpeg off a Honda when I was a kid & that landing ended very bad, I'm 230lbs and AZ terrain sneaks up on you sometimes, I don't want to even think about breaking a peg.
I have a pair of versys passenger brackets to possibly adapt. I also bought a pair of Berg DIY luggage hoops that I may incorporate the passenger pegs on the lower leg depending on how everything looks & how my wife fits. I've got a pile of parts waiting on a motorcycle
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #1892
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
I plan to go somewhere between the "dongle" and KTMKLX's 3/16" steel version for rider pegs using the Fastways & CRF bolt on brackets. I broke a footpeg off a Honda when I was a kid & that landing ended very bad, I'm 230lbs and AZ terrain sneaks up on you sometimes, I don't want to even think about breaking a peg.
I have a pair of versys passenger brackets to possibly adapt. I also bought a pair of Berg DIY luggage hoops that I may incorporate the passenger pegs on the lower leg depending on how everything looks & how my wife fits. I've got a pile of parts waiting on a motorcycle
i can see that you would like that bike to show up soon.

for a bike home-based in the SW, i would consider a prefilter of some sort. i haven't seen junk on the wrong side of the filter, but it has been reported.

helps to have a spare filter along for a gravel road trip so it can be changed out easily. i always carry one when i anticipate plenty of dusty conditions, although i've never had to change on the fly.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #1893
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,500
Quote:
Just an fyi I bought the cr brackets and ims pro pegs and something isn't right. They don't lay flat when mounted vertical. I ned to grind some off the peg for it to work

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #1894
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Just an fyi I bought the cr brackets and ims pro pegs and something isn't right. They don't lay flat when mounted vertical. I ned to grind some off the peg for it to work
the Fastways have an M6 adjuster on the pivot side so you can set the angle to level or whatever you want, a very nice feature on a beefy footrest.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #1895
4play
Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i don't have my OEM R1 spring handy to confirm the physical dimensions of this spring, BUT if the spring is the metric equivalent of 2.25x7", then here is another source to replace the 9kg/mm OEM spring with a spring rate suitable for the direct connected Versys/ER6 suspension.

Cannon Racecraft custom R1 springs now cost almost double what i paid a few years ago. good product, and no complaints with their service at all, just the price.

confirm your spring dimension, then check here...

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product

i have not used this spring. please report back on your experience if you do.

My 2.25" spring showed up & it will need a spacer to be right. The stock spring is like 55mm & although I'm sure the spring would stay on, I'm going to make or buy spacers to keep it properly centered.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #1896
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
My 2.25" spring showed up & it will need a spacer to be right.
you would think that with all the work done with this R1 shock that someone would have sourced a spring in the proper weight, custom or OEM, that was inexpensive and a perfect fit, no collar...besides Cannon. i must have hit the jackpot the first time around.

part of the problem with the R1 is the usage, going from linked to direct coupled. can't use the cheap springs available in the 10kg range that would work for the linked setup.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #1897
4play
Next?

The 55mm to 58mm spring bushings are $2.99 each plus shipping from Race Tech & they do list them specifically for the R-1, so it's still very economical to buy the 2.25" x 7 spring at ~$70 and there are lots of spring rate choices out there.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #1898
Ednukey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
My 2.25" spring showed up & it will need a spacer to be right. The stock spring is like 55mm & although I'm sure the spring would stay on, I'm going to make or buy spacers to keep it properly centered.
Reference this: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=396

The spacers you mention in your later post work great, and visually - you barely notice them. I've used them with the same brand of spring. In fact, the larger diameter spring is very helpful for both installation and removal, compared to smaller diameter stock spring.
Ednukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #1899
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednukey View Post

The spacers you mention in your later post work great, and visually - you barely notice them.

i'd still prefer an inexpensive direct fit spring. if it's out there, seems someone would have found it by now.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #1900
4play
Next?

I look at it differently, with a simple spacer we have access to a very commonly available spring from multiple vendors
Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #1901
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
I look at it differently, with a simple spacer we have access to a very commonly available spring from multiple vendors

so where's that bike?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #1902
4play
Next?

Dentvet is still babysitting for me. I had a problem with a u-ship carrier flaking out. I had to start the whole process over last week. The bike is supposed be delivered the weekend of March 15th now. My pile of parts has stabilized....
Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #1903
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Dentvet is still babysitting for me. I had a problem with a u-ship carrier flaking out. I had to start the whole process over last week. The bike is supposed be delivered the weekend of March 15th now. My pile of parts has stabilized....
damn, ya shoulda let me know, i would have delivered it for you, flown home.

i would have babied it all the way, i never ride over 55...well, maybe a little over.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #1904
4play
Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
damn, ya shoulda let me know, i would have delivered it for you, flown home.

i would have babied it all the way, i never ride over 55...well, maybe a little over.
I appreciate it, but I hear these bikes can cause parkinson symptom's, at least that's what Sanjoh claims
Leaving it with Dave has not been all bad, he got bored & put new forkseals in, then the battery died...
Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #1905
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
I appreciate it, but I hear these bikes can cause parkinson symptom's, at least that's what Sanjoh claims
Leaving it with Dave has not been all bad, he got bored & put new forkseals in, then the battery died...
sanjoh is only about 125 years old, i think he had the shakes BEFORE he built that rat bike. he shakes so bad he had to glue his bike together with red.

...that's what he told me anyway.