User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #181
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,083
Versys subframe

besides a slightly different design to accomodate a different seat and afford a different riding posture, i mentioned that the Versys lacked a small tubular cross brace found on the 650R subframe. the Versys also uses a strut to connect the subframe to the front footpeg mount. i speculated on whether the strut was just decoration, or something else. certainly many Versys owners have removed these struts, especially if the don't carry passengers. i wasn't aware of any reported problems with this subframe until ednukey reported in.

ednukey is an experienced rider and had his Versys on a big loop up through northwest canuckistan and alaska in 2010. here's what he had to say...

"I haven't had any problems running the bike without the trellis braces around town - I have been rolling without pretty much since I got the bike, using a rather loaded topcase and backpack. However, on my trip this past summer, at one point, all six of the bolts holding the two trellis braces vibrated loose (yes, they were loctited). And, I can say that the the subframe flexed very noticeably with my full load of gear and me, under any conditions that actuated the rear suspension. A squeak resulting from this flexing is how the loosened bolts came to my attention. Worth noting - I was carrying about 100 lbs of gear; and, it is also worth noting that I'm not a heavyweight - I weigh in at around 180 lbs with my gear on."

i've had much more weight on my 650R framed bikes without a problem. i'm going to have to take a good look at this.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #182
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

2008 SV650 three spoke wheel on the rear...

i had been running the 650R/Versys rear wheel, nice to have matching three spokes now.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #183
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,530
Lookin' good!!! Hope to se it up north next year.
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #184
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
Lookin' good!!! Hope to se it up north next year.
be watchin' for it, just might be there.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #185
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post

i had been running the 650R/Versys rear wheel, nice to have matching three spokes now.
Mad Max lives !!!

That is one sweet bike, keep up the good work.
I am wondering when the new fork sleeves (spacers) will be on sale ?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #186
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragerbon View Post
Mad Max lives !!!
for sure. parts from Versys, Ninja 650R, DRZ, DL1000, DL650, SV650, and KLR...so far.

the sleeves are easy.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #187
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,633
Quote:

Ok So how hard will it be for me to put the Suk rear on my V. It's narrower corect?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #188
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Ok So how hard will it be for me to put the Suk rear on my V. It's narrower corect?
easy for you, if i remember you do your own machine work. just a bunch of spacers and screwing around. rotor is the same diameter. order a 520 sprocket. stock is 45T and would work just fine. wheel needs to be 2nd generation SV for the 20mm axle.

you can see from the photo that your Versys would look better with a rear matched to your DL1000 front.

you still riding your GS north this season?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #189
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,633
Quote:
easy for you, if i remember you do your own machine work. just a bunch of spacers and screwing around. rotor is the same diameter. order a 520 sprocket. stock is 45T and would work just fine. wheel needs to be 2nd generation SV for the 20mm axle.

you can see from the photo that your Versys would look better with a rear matched to your DL1000 front.

you still riding your GS north this season?
I've got access to a magnetic table surface grinder so I can make a 530 sprocket into a 520. I made a # 50 US sprocket in to a 520 once. Is the wheel narrower? Is the wheel center line to sprocket center line the same? Really like the way you share your knowledge. You take all the guess work out of it for us copy cats! If you go through Southern IL. or STL MO. let me know, I'll buy you lunch.
Yes, My wife and I are leaving from STL MO. on June 17th. heading for Prudhoe Bay with the Beemer's. The V will stay behind unless my son can join us, he will take it as his RC51 ain't cut out for that ride. Thanks jdrocks.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #190
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,677
Looks mean I'm glad the wheel worked out and can't wait to see the bike finished up.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #191
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
I've got access to a magnetic table surface grinder so I can make a 530 sprocket into a 520...
when i said "easy for you", that's kinda what i meant. i'll do a little write up when i get a chance. i'm in the middle of moving the 649HP motor and related junk over to the Versys frame. thanks for the lunch offer. ya never know, might get there.

you'll have a great trip on your run north. PM me if you're interested in a little route info on a section of road you might not have thought about.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #192
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy View Post
Looks mean I'm glad the wheel worked out and can't wait to see the bike finished up.
thanks for stepping up with the info. guys like you make these things easier to put together.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #193
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,692
JD,

You Rock.

Waiting to see how this plays out...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #194
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,576
You guys heading up to Alaska, let me know if you stop by eastern MT, it be great to meet up and do lunch.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #195
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,529
Another great build thread JD. You rock. My son and I leave Wisconsin June 17th. Hope to meet you upnort on some "big gravel".
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote