Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #2431
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,997
R1 shock with Cannon Racecraft 16kg/mm spring. note OEM ER6 12mm stainless bushing with dust seals mounted on lower end, SS R1 bushing bored to 12mm on the top end.

there are other spring options, but Cannon has to be the most effortless way to source a custom spring for the R1. just call Cannon in OK City, ask for Tony, and take it from there. you must research your spring rate, Tony can't decide for you.

i've been asked whether the R1 shock/09 ER6 swingarm combo has any interference issues with the SS tip of the late model ER6/Versys muffler...hmmmm, some riders have a sharp eye, 'cause it sure does look like it. as it happens, the square corner of swingarm cross member will contact the upper seam at the rear of the muffler before the swingarm hits the tip. i did carefully trim the high point of tip very slightly before mounting the muffer, and i can see about 3mm of daylight in that area. conclusion, all the parts can play.

the suspension needs to be run in and adjustments made. the steel tube strut i had in place of the shock made this bike slightly taller than the last one, but the R1 is a little longer than the strut, so the difference in seat height is noticeable...i'm on my toes without the airhawk. tall bike, lucky i don't mind, the view from up there is great.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #2432
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

R1 on the bike, there's about 10" at the leading edge of the muffler.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #2433
nononsense4857
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
..i'm on my toes without the airhawk. tall bike, lucky i don't mind, the view from up there is great.
How do you manage the height JD,

I say this being 5'6" and that too with stock suspension.

I dread it! Don't know how to get over it. The moment i loose balance and the bike has already slanted more than 20 - 25 degrees, there is no hope of picking it up like a light bike. I have to let it go, leave it to the ground and then pick it up with my butt against the seat.

I fell thrice like this on a trip of mine at a mountain crossing. The altitude magnfies all the weight you have to pick up from the ground too... extremely tiring and demoralizing. I was laughing at myself after falling in such a tame and funny manner.

The bike tilt sensor kicks in and unless you switch off the bike (using the key) and turn it back on again, it refuses to start too.
nononsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #2434
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsense4857 View Post
How do you manage the height JD,

I say this being 5'6" and that too with stock suspension.
I think JD is in the 6'-4" 250 lbs category. I rode with a guy who was on a WR250 and he would probably do fine keeping up with JD, but he was more your height. Part of building/buying a bike is learning to make a bike fit your own ergonomics. However I'm 5'8" 230 lbs and the F8GS is tiptoe machine. Ultimately, when you are riding on tall bikes you don't dab.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:35 AM   #2435
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
R1 shock with Cannon Racecraft 16kg/mm spring. note OEM ER6 12mm stainless bushing with dust seals mounted on lower end, SS R1 bushing bored to 12mm on the top end.

there are other spring options, but Cannon has to be the most effortless way to source a custom spring for the R1. just call Cannon in OK City, ask for Tony, and take it from there. you must research your spring rate, Tony can't decide for you.

i've been asked whether the R1 shock/09 ER6 swingarm combo has any interference issues with the SS tip of the late model ER6/Versys muffler...hmmmm, some riders have a sharp eye, 'cause it sure does look like it. as it happens, the square corner of swingarm cross member will contact the upper seam at the rear of the muffler before the swingarm hits the tip. i did carefully trim the high point of tip very slightly before mounting the muffer, and i can see about 3mm of daylight in that area. conclusion, all the parts can play.

the suspension needs to be run in and adjustments made. the steel tube strut i had in place of the shock made this bike slightly taller than the last one, but the R1 is a little longer than the strut, so the difference in seat height is noticeable...i'm on my toes without the airhawk. tall bike, lucky i don't mind, the view from up there is great.
Hi JD, I've got a question about your R1 shock. Do you think it needs to be revalved due to the heavier spring? I'm running a R6 shock on my Versys and will be getting a stiffer spring soon and am wondering if it it needs revalving.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #2436
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsense4857 View Post
...I fell thrice like this on a trip of mine at a mountain crossing. The altitude magnfies all the weight you have to pick up from the ground too... extremely tiring and demoralizing. I was laughing at myself after falling in such a tame and funny manner.

The bike tilt sensor kicks in and unless you switch off the bike (using the key) and turn it back on again, it refuses to start too.

i think i got this right...big bike, standard ride height, small stature, big cojones.

don't feel bad about dropping the bike, i've done the same thing many times, especially since i haven't owned a bike i could flatfoot for a long time. ok, i owned a few that i could flatfoot, but chopped them up and made them way taller. besides having the bike fall in front of the Sunday brunch crowd at a restaurant, i've had it fall in some dangerous situations and needed to get it back up in a big hurry. get the damn thing on it's feet while you're still pissed off, it's much easier.

i want ground clearance, so i have not lowered these bikes, but it's always an option. i have not reconfigured the OEM seat, or swapped in a lower one, another common practice to address seat height.

on a tall bike, i'm very conscious of where i stop, can't be a hole or drop off where i know my feet will land. for a fact, i won't stop in rough terrain until i find a good spot. when traveling, i'm careful to pack the bike with the weight low, even if it makes some items harder to reach. i've also learned to pick a foot to support the bike when i anticipate that situation, opposite brake or shifter, depending on which is needed.

the tip over sensor is a good deal and does need to be reset. it's also a reminder to let the bike sit there for a few minutes until all that hot oil has drained back down to where it belongs.

nothing to be demoralized about...ya went out there, persevered in the midst of adversity, and returned. congrats, plan another.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #2437
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
I think JD is in the 6'-4" 250 lbs category...
not quite, but i am heavier than some of those NFL lineman dudes you'll see this afternoon. on the moto, there is a passing resemblance to a HiViz refrigerator in the saddle. does a lot to explain why the 50mpg rated rat only gets 35mpg on occasion.

my WR250 was a great bike and i could ride it pretty well, but i figured i better sell it before i broke it in half.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #2438
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Hi JD, I've got a question about your R1 shock. Do you think it needs to be revalved due to the heavier spring? I'm running a R6 shock on my Versys and will be getting a stiffer spring soon and am wondering if it it needs revalving.
i have not revalved, and don't recall if anyone else has bothered to do it. the key is to choose the right spring rate for your use, but beyond that, the full range of adjustments on the R1 seems to keep everyone happy.

the R1 is still available cheap in the States, so at about $200USD mounted on the bike, it's still a good value compared to "big name" aftermarket shocks. both my used R1 shocks could hardly be told from brand new.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #2439
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
I did not even know the Versys had a 'tilt sensor', had to google that up to figure out what it was.

As far as falling when riding offroad , we have a saying here (translated to English), 'the man who falls and gets up is bigger than the man who never falls,' It's no big deal. Just get up and get going.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #2440
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
I did not even know the Versys had a 'tilt sensor', had to google that up to figure out what it was.

As far as falling when riding offroad , we have a saying here (translated to English), 'the man who falls and gets up is bigger than the man who never falls,' It's no big deal. Just get up and get going.

that's it, except the bike has to be down, so it's more than a "tilt". no one would understand my reports if i wrote "I over tilted...then I had to pick up the freakin' bike".

"the get up and get going" is a frame of mind, without it, better stay home.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #2441
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i've got the basics of the tail assembly carved out, but i needed the last of the lights to finish up. thankfully, they came in today, a pair of Grote Mini Novas...

man, i'm glad they made it, 'cause the whole area in eastern Virginia is going to be shut down for the rest of the week due to the latest storm of the century. 1" of snow, roads impassible, it's terrible. lucky i had the XO stock up on food, we're stranded.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #2442
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
man, i'm glad they made it, 'cause the whole area in eastern Virginia is going to be shut down for the rest of the week due to the latest storm of the century. 1" of snow, roads impassible, it's terrible. lucky i had the XO stock up on food, we're stranded.
Sounds like Janus is going to be a bit chilly. Stay warm and send us pics of your work on the bike.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:31 AM   #2443
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
we're stranded.
I can see it now.... JD sitting on the "new" steed making vroom vroom sounds
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #2444
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Sounds like Janus is going to be a bit chilly. Stay warm and send us pics of your work on the bike.
yeah, an inch of snow is a calamity around here. laughable, but a fact. people drive their vehicles straight into the ditch, thankfully, 99% stay home. at least the power is on here, and Janus departed about 5AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #2445
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
I can see it now.... JD sitting on the "new" steed making vroom vroom sounds
i will if i can locate my snowshoes so i can make it out to the shop. actually, it makes it's own vrooooom now with the turn of a key.

i'd move down to your home state if sunny Flatistan wasn't, ya know, so freakin' flat.