ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 AM   #316
freewheeler
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 108
Wow ...I didn't realize the Versys radiator was that much larger ... I'm endorsing you decision to go to a larger radiator ... rather than fab a mount ... especially if your thinkin ... MEXICO ...!!!
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #317
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?
 
fredgreen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown, Nova Scotia, Canada
Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
hi fred, good to hear from you. the old bikes worked pretty darn well, but i wanted a newer configuration with a new suspension, so DRZ forks and R1 shock on the Versys frame instead of the ER6.

shirley would let you build bikes in the winter for a hobby as long as you built her a tricked out bike too.

i haven't decided on a fender. that KLR fender sure gets no love. we'll see.

why don't you come out to Alberta this summer, we'll ride up to Inuvik just for fun.
Shirley gave my a dirty look when I said I was going to Inuvik, I think this summer will be Newfoundland, after we drop the daughter off in Quebec for summer french immersion. We want to drive the Trans-Canada trail from Argentia to Port aux Basque. I still have to find Shirley a KLR and mod it a bit for her to ride. She can't touch the ground from mine, I'll have to lower it a couple of inches and adjust the front end accordingly. I still think your bike is a killer gravel road machine, but don't think I could build one as easy as you, salvage bikes and parts for Ninjas/Versys are not that common here in Nova Scotia. By the way, the build still looks awesome, but the front fender has to go.....Just saying.-Fred

fredgreen screwed with this post 01-21-2011 at 12:15 PM
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #318
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer
 
BuffWv's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hills of central wv(Gassaway Wv)
Oddometer: 2,222
Getting started

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653564
This is the project bike not as nice as yours but I will see how it goes. Maybe if its done it will be at Laural Fork in the spring
__________________
What seemed fast on a KLR is slow on a Versys
BuffWv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #319
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
Wow ...I didn't realize the Versys radiator was that much larger ... I'm endorsing you decision to go to a larger radiator ... rather than fab a mount ... especially if your thinkin ... MEXICO ...!!!
the only time i ever had a temp light come on with the 650R size radiator was southbound on the Dalton when the radiator and radiator guard were both packed solid with that silty chloride mud found on that road. my fault, i should have checked it at Coldfoot. even then, the motor didn't overheat, just got hot enough to turn on the light.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #320
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
Shirley gave my a dirty look when I said I was going to Inuvik...
gee, and here i thought that young lady had a better sense of humor.

hope you have time to spend in Newfoundland, a great place to ride. it would be easy to spend a week or more there.

got an 08 KLR project bike in the shop right now, cheap to you. come get it. it's got an acerbis SM fender on it that someone told me to take off and mount on a different bike.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #321
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff36 View Post
Maybe if its done it will be at Laural Fork in the spring
yeah, get it done for LF. there might be a few other home brewed bikes there. we'll run them around, see how they do.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #322
freewheeler
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the only time i ever had a temp light come on with the 650R size radiator was southbound on the Dalton when the radiator and radiator guard were both packed solid with that silty chloride mud found on that road. my fault, i should have checked it at Coldfoot. even then, the motor didn't overheat, just got hot enough to turn on the light.
I remember that ... I was thinking about the temp difference between Alsaka ... and Mexico ... In July ... anything will over heat if there is no air flow thu the radiator ... I was down your way last summer ... and the fan on my versys quit working ... sitting in traffic ... 90 degrees out ... my light went on and she puked her guts right there ... I rerouted to a less traveled road and kept air flowing thru the radiator ... made it home without a hitch ... ebayed a used fan from a ninja for $30.00 ... installed on the Versys mount ... back in business ...
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #323
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
... ebayed a used fan from a ninja for $30.00 ... installed on the Versys mount ... back in business ...
you must remember that old ride report from 2009. man, that was a trip.

different part numbers on the 650R fan and Versys fan that i have, but the size, configuration, and electrical connector are the same. the mounts are different as you know, but other than that, i have no idea why the fans have different numbers.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #324
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,859
i need footrests, and after looking at some other options, i got out a set of Versys mounts. i got these to use on the last 650R framed bike but never got around to using them because i would have needed to change my fuel can mounts before i left for northern Quebec and Labrador. ran out of time.

i had a pair of those nice Fastways, so i'll use those too.

jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #325
freewheeler
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i need footrests, and after looking at some other options, i got out a set of Versys mounts. i got these to use on the last 650R framed bike but never got around to using them because i would have needed to change my fuel can mounts before i left for northern Quebec and Labrador. ran out of time.

i had a pair of those nice Fastways, so i'll use those too.

That will make a nice combo ... Those foot pegs are like floor boards ...!!!
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:58 AM   #326
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: hunt country virginia
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
got a growing library here, thanks.

where's your Ninja build? LF will be coming up soon. get that lathe turning.
i'm fitting the rear wheel. If you can tell from your skeletons there, are the swingarm ends equidistant to the bikes centerline?

my subframe is tweaked and i'm having trouble centering the wheel because the swingarm isn't symmetrical with the offset shock etc.

I have found it interesting that a 19 inch dirt rim has spoke/rear caliper interference issues but the 18 inch dirt rim doesn't.
( i was toying with 19/19 at one point) the 19 inch motocross tire looks awful as well
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #327
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?
 
fredgreen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown, Nova Scotia, Canada
Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
gee, and here i thought that young lady had a better sense of humor.

hope you have time to spend in Newfoundland, a great place to ride. it would be easy to spend a week or more there.

got an 08 KLR project bike in the shop right now, cheap to you. come get it. it's got an acerbis SM fender on it that someone told me to take off and mount on a different bike.
Now you have my attention....How much of a project...I am interested now. My KLR is in the garage right now stripped down for a desert cam paint job. I just finished doing engine work and carb mods. Send me a PM if you really want to talk business.
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #328
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
i'm fitting the rear wheel. If you can tell from your skeletons there, are the swingarm ends equidistant to the bikes centerline?

my subframe is tweaked and i'm having trouble centering the wheel because the swingarm isn't symmetrical with the offset shock etc.
since you have your OEM wheel, axle, spacers, and caliper mount, that's all you really need to set up the new wheel because it gives you all relative dimensions...other than making sure the new wheel/tire combo doesn't have interference issues with the front of the swingarm or fender liner. the only alignment problem would come from a bent main frame (very unlikely) or bent swingarm (also unlikely).

shouldn't be too difficult to pull the subframe back in shape.

PM on the way with a contact number. i'm in the shop, so i could take a look at any measurements for ya if needed.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #329
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
That will make a nice combo ... Those foot pegs are like floor boards ...!!!
the Versys has a 12mm pin and these used Fastways are set up 10mm. fix that and a little trimming, should work. i like the Fastways because of the adjuster bolt on the underside, you can dial them in easier.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #330
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
Send me a PM if you really want to talk business.
i'll try to get a PM out to you this evening with a photo.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014