Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #331
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,162
520 steel sprocket to replace the OEM 525 on the SV650 rear wheel.

this sprocket is readily available because the 520 conversion is real popular with the SV crowd, they think making that change is worth some speed.

i ordered a 46T to match the original Versys/650R gearing.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #332
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
What do you think about a DRZ/KLX set of forks
Old 01-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #333
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff36 View Post
What do you think about a DRZ/KLX set of forks
are you talking about the 49mm conventional, or say the smaller KLX USD forks? you already know the length of the 49mm, an older set of KLX 43mm USD forks is about 34", the same as a late model KLR.

the nice thing about the DRZ for my purposes is the 20mm axles because the wheels i use have 20mm bearings.

you would want to look at the fork/axle/bearing/wheel setup if it's not all from the same bike. long forks would mean getting a different shock setup, but that's usually not a big problem
Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #334
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
are you talking about the 49mm conventional, or say the smaller KLX USD forks? you already know the length of the 49mm, an older set of KLX 43mm USD forks is about 34", the same as a late model KLR.

the nice thing about the DRZ for my purposes is the 20mm axles because the wheels i use have 20mm bearings.

you would want to look at the fork/axle/bearing/wheel setup if it's not all from the same bike. long forks would mean getting a different shock setup, but that's usually not a big problem
Trying to work out a deal on the front forks and rear shock off a 2003 400
Old 01-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #335
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
since you have your OEM wheel, axle, spacers, and caliper mount, that's all you really need to set up the new wheel because it gives you all relative dimensions...other than making sure the new wheel/tire combo doesn't have interference issues with the front of the swingarm or fender liner. the only alignment problem would come from a bent main frame (very unlikely) or bent swingarm (also unlikely).

shouldn't be too difficult to pull the subframe back in shape.

PM on the way with a contact number. i'm in the shop, so i could take a look at any measurements for ya if needed.
thanks for the number! you're right it all starts with the sprocket alignment and the rest must flow from there. I'm stuck at about 9mm off center for the rear tire after shimming the sprocket.

started on the front legs, yz triple clamps meet ktm 43s. so far so good
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #336
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff36 View Post
Trying to work out a deal on the front forks and rear shock off a 2003 400
gave up on the 36mm forks and went directly to the 49mm beef? same forks and shock as your KLX, so you must have taken some measurements. the 2003 is fully adjustable if i remember.

will be tall, but no taller than the current generation of 250 thumpers.

i dropped DRZ forks in the clamps about 15mm before i tightened things up yesterday, leaving a 25mm projection. the rat is every bit as tall as my WR250. the mofo is way the heck up there for a "street" bike. makes the OEM roller frame from the 650R parts bike look like a lowered drag bike project.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #337
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
thanks for the number! you're right it all starts with the sprocket alignment and the rest must flow from there. I'm stuck at about 9mm off center for the rear tire after shimming the sprocket.
i suppose there are many different ways to get to the same end, but i look at the wheel center first, then sprocket alignment. the dimension from the outside face of the OEM spacer to the face of the OEM sprocket is known. the thickness of the sprocket is known. when you do the math on the assembly dimension string, you're left with the sprocket spacers on your centered wheel.

either way, if you now know you're 9mm off center with the wheel, you know precisely what the axle and sprocket spacers should be.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #338
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

the leads from the control switches are shorter on the 650R than the Versys, mainly because of the high OEM bar riser. the 650R leads will obviously work since i've been using them, but i thought i would buy some Versys switches if i could find some. the longer leads aren't stressed when the bars are turned to the stops. awhile back i found a set and had them on the shelf ready to go...or so i thought.

the Versys light switch set has that extra button and the corresponding wires and pins in the connector. no problem plugging into the harness, there are no wires on that side. then i noticed that the plastic locator pin had been cut off the rear housing cover. i pulled the cover off the start/stop set, and that pin had been cut off also.

get the picture? some dumbass had installed aftermarket bars and just didn't feel like drilling the holes that day. worse, the seller knew it, and still sold them. could really piss ya off, fortunately i had payed very little.

i had some junk in the parts box and came up with covers with the locator pins since i still wanted the long leads. the Versys light switch set has that extra passing switch and now i didn't have a cover to fit that switch. heck, just cut that thing out of there. shrink wrapped the ends, set to go now.

jdrocks screwed with this post 01-23-2011 at 09:21 PM
Old 01-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #339
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

the parts bike was pretty well covered with chalky dust and dirt when i got it. everything was detailed before it was installed in the Versys frame. now it looks like new. all electrical connections greased during assembly.

used radiator and fan cleaned up and installed.

just about ready to turn the key.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #340
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,541
need to see it with tank and seat
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #341
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 720
Laugh Yup, beautimous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can already see it... it's beautimous!!
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #342
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
need to see it with tank and seat
how about tank, seat, and controls?

...and don't nobody say nuthin' about the fender.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #343
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by old2wheeler View Post
I can already see it... it's beautimous!!
...and loud.

probably need a silencer.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #344
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,541
this is right in so many ways
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #345
freewheeler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
...and don't nobody say nuthin' about the fender.

I have too ... I'm going on record that I LIKE THE LOOK with the high red fender ...
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote