Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #826
Jeff Watts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
so am i, especially since i found out from the Versys owner's thread that i'm way off track on this rat build if i want an "adventure" bike that will run with the F800. apparently my $1500 out of pocket cost for the rat was a little light and i should have done something like this if i wanted a real bike....

Adventure Bike Set Up Costs:

New Versys: $5200.
Traxxion AK-20 Mod: $1,400.
Elka custom shock: $1,400.
Woodys Wheels: $1,900.
Filter Pods: $30.00
Kildala Rad Guard and brackets: $220.
Mud Flap: $60.
SW-Motech Skid Plate: $240.00
SW-Motech Quick release Pelican mounts: $245.
Pelican cases: $480.
Hepco Becker Engine Guard: $190.
Givi wind screen: $140.
Cycra Probend hand guards: $135.
Rox rubber mounted 2" Fat Bar risers $140.
Pro Taper Fat bar: $70.
Custom seat: $300.
BRP chain guide $100.
New DID X-ring Chain: $180.
Raised Fender mount: $20.

Total Mods: $7,250.
Cost of Bike: $5,200.
Complete Adventure Bike: $12,250. (plus personal labor)

my $1500 would have bought the fork rebuild, or the Elka...that's a start.

...at least the rat bike builders all have the cop motor, makes me feel a little better. sniffle, sniffle.
Yeah, I got a good giggle at that. I didn't want to push it, though.
I'm still waiting on an answer as to what that gold brick will do that any of the mutant ninjas won't.
New stuff breaks just as often as used stuff.
Jeff Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #827
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,635
Quote:
i thought you were supposed to move your butt and the new tiger down to the southwest for 3 weeks and here you are posting on ADV...what's the deal on that?
We're leaving May 14. 2 weeks, not 3 (plus the weekends on either end, plus Memorial Day, so we actually have 17 days).

This is all assuming, of course, that the south isn't still infested with tornadoes by then. This spring's weather is so phenomenally shitty that I'm actually getting pretty worried. We may end up reversing the trip's direction, or even rerouting it, if the weather looks really bad.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #828
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
so am i, especially since i found out from the Versys owner's thread that i'm way off track on this rat build if i want an "adventure" bike that will run with the F800. apparently my $1500 out of pocket cost for the rat was a little light and i should have done something like this if i wanted a real bike....

Adventure Bike Set Up Costs:

New Versys: $5200.
Traxxion AK-20 Mod: $1,400.
Elka custom shock: $1,400.
Woodys Wheels: $1,900.
Filter Pods: $30.00
Kildala Rad Guard and brackets: $220.
Mud Flap: $60.
SW-Motech Skid Plate: $240.00
SW-Motech Quick release Pelican mounts: $245.
Pelican cases: $480.
Hepco Becker Engine Guard: $190.
Givi wind screen: $140.
Cycra Probend hand guards: $135.
Rox rubber mounted 2" Fat Bar risers $140.
Pro Taper Fat bar: $70.
Custom seat: $300.
BRP chain guide $100.
New DID X-ring Chain: $180.
Raised Fender mount: $20.

Complete Adventure Bike: $12,250.
(plus personal labor)

...at least the rat bike builders all have the cop motor, makes me feel a little better. sniffle, sniffle.

Good god, for that price they could buy a leftover KTM 950SE and have money left over for farkles!

--mark

Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #829
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,396
My wife, being way smarter than me (a key to a happy marriage - both acknowledging that, and finding someone who actually is smarter) suggested that instead of dumping more and more money into my DRz that I buy well the first time. So I got a KTM 690, and I pretty much love it.

Seems to me that the Versys guys are doing what I did with my DRz. Trying to make something that is good into something great. I learned that if you want something great, save yer pennies for longer and buy a better bike to start with.

Of course, building crazy shit is a hobby activity unto itself, and as such, is not subject to any kind of rational, pragmatic, or financial boundaries.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #830
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
This is all assuming, of course, that the south isn't still infested with tornadoes by then. This spring's weather is so phenomenally shitty...
if you're real worried about tornadoes, then May is the wrong month with statistically the highest count. April this year was bad because the jetstream was low. May also happens to be one of the best riding months across the south, so just watch the weather.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #831
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:

Good god, for that price they could buy a leftover KTM 950SE and have money left over for farkles!

--mark
i thought you were going to say he could put a downpayment on one of those Tigers. plenty of options for that kind of money.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #832
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post

Of course, building crazy shit is a hobby activity unto itself, and as such, is not subject to any kind of rational, pragmatic, or financial boundaries.
money was not an obstacle on the Indy Versys, and in fairness it shouldn't be compared to the ninja/versys rat bikes on cost alone.

my observation is that there's nothing really new in that expensive package, unless it's Woody's hubs for the wire wheels. wire wheels, been done. elka shock, been done. rework on the stock Showa forks, been done. custom seat, and all the rest of the bolt on stuff has all been done.

i look at the rat ninja build by "ktmklx" here on the forum with his own version of a custom built set of wire wheels, 48mm KLX usd forks that will outperform the Versys 41mm Showa forks no matter what you do to them, the raised shop built custom exhaust, and all the rest of the self performed machine work and fabrication...at a fraction of the cost. sorry, that's what i find impressive in modifying the ninja/versys platform for a little more serious work.

heck, i think my 49mm DRZ400-S conventional forks might do better than the modified Showa at a cost of $100 including caliper and brake line. even on my cheap rat build i ditched those Showas as being too undersized to spend money on, although i have ridden these stockers on thousands of miles of gravel road.

different strokes...at least it all provides a range of options for riders contemplating some changes.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #833
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Complete Adventure Bike: $12,250. (plus personal labor)

That's not a rat bike, thats an OCC bike. I'm pretty sure your bike is going to do just fine. You just have to work on it and post more pics, we're not getting our weekly fix.

Beautiful day today, took the 250 out to the riding area after work. I'm going to pay for it tomorrow, but tonight I'm like this guy.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #834
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
if you're real worried about tornadoes, then May is the wrong month with statistically the highest count. April this year was bad because the jetstream was low. May also happens to be one of the best riding months across the south, so just watch the weather.

Yeah, I'll be making a habit of checking the weather radar at every gas stop.

It's easy enough to avoid isolated storm cells, but what I'm hoping is that we don't end up with another of those massive systems stretching from the Gulf of Mexico all the way to Canada.

--mark

Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 AM   #835
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
That's not a rat bike, thats an OCC bike.
maybe, an OCC adventurized.

more photos coming up, just short on shop time here lately.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #836
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:

It's easy enough to avoid isolated storm cells, but what I'm hoping is that we don't end up with another of those massive systems stretching from the Gulf of Mexico all the way to Canada.

--mark
won't hurt you westbound because the fronts are moving eastward at 60mph, so you just cross right through it and you're done. eastbound heading home you would be riding along with the front.

i'm sure you'll work it all out and have a great trip. let us know how the Tiger performs for ya.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #837
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

marine style power outlets mounted to the Versys bar riser. these are both on separate circuits, as are the auxiliary lights. no connections, switched or otherwise, with the main wiring harness.

i also use marine fuse holders. the 650R wiring harness is not the same as the Versys to the rear of the battery box, so the Versys guys might recognize that the routings are different. everything gets organized and zip tied to create some storage space.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #838
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

vibration

i've still been riding around with no right front motor mount bolt...yea, i had good intentions but never got to it, then couldn't put my hands on it, blah, blah, anyway...

unlike some riders, i've never had vibration issues with these bikes except when the motech bars are on AND the motor mount bolts have become loose despite locknuts and blue. now here's a scenario where there's no vibration with a missing motor mount bolt. i think i have the controls in this vibration experiment pretty well covered, so when someone claims vibration with motech bars, i continue to think the mounts are not mated up and the fasteners properly tightened.

i suppose it could be that the cop motor runs smoother, but that seems a stretch.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #839
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

the radiator expansion tank mount was fabbed some time back, i had the bottle i wanted to use, but i needed to make a new top for it and add hose connections. these stainless bottles are pretty nice for $2.49, but the caps are just thin plastic, so i clipped off the finger loop and then used JB Weld putty to form the new cap both inside and out. the JB was about 10mm thick, then ground into shape with a nice flat top for two 1/4NPT outlets and matching hose barbs. short copper tubing nipples were soldered to the brass fittings for the drops inside the bottle. worked great, nice and solid.

the bottle tucks in tight and will be well inside the motech guards when i get those mounted. now the bike looks like this with the bottle mounted...

Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #840
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,447
That's a mighty fine looking thoroughbred there, no matter what its pedigree or papers say.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote