Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #856
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
don't have any at the moment, but i'll try to get you one.

Thanks JD

As I said your bike looks great and I wish I were close enough to look at it in person. I am real close to bitting the bullet on a Versys and upgrading the suspension.

Good job.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #857
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Its raining the preverbial cats and dogs here this weekend. Would be a great weekend to work on the bike.

David
i thought you had that 800 all back together. maybe you're talking about cleaning Montana mud off that thing.

spent some time looking at maps recently, checking out route scenarios. i was thinking i might be able to get by without carrying extra fuel, but now i don't think it will be wise. when you look at certain roads, you can easily find a thousand reports that detail the ride, but get off that track and it's like no one has ever been there...or at least didn't write anything up.

you still in eastern MT off 94?
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #858
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multisurface Rider View Post
Thanks JD

As I said your bike looks great and I wish I were close enough to look at it in person. I am real close to bitting the bullet on a Versys and upgrading the suspension.

Good job.
forgot about that...a photo of rider and bike. i'll see if i can get one, although my wife is camera challenged when it comes to bikes. she can get photos of everything else....

i've been riding a bit as i can get a few minutes, just to make sure things work, nothing falls off. a few suspension adjustments, and i did run it up to 75 looking for any quirky handling. rock solid to that speed at least, good to know since there were some questions on geometry. i don't cruise past 80 anyway.

said it before, but one more time. i am really pleased with the cheap suspension change, and that's what makes this bike so different from the first two. there's no comparison in that department. every time i ride, i can't go a half mile without smiling about that. if starting with a Versys and contemplating a custom gravel runner, find a beefy dirt bike suspension you think you can work with and stick it on there. you'll never look back.

the other noticeable change is in the ergos. the oem versys footrest mount coupled with the cheap used Fastways and a little adjustment on the Protapers has made standing on the pegs the way it's supposed to be.

so get that Versys, mod it, come back with the photos.

i'd race ya, but with the cop motor, i'd just be stealin'.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #859
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
i thought you had that 800 all back together. maybe you're talking about cleaning Montana mud off that thing.

spent some time looking at maps recently, checking out route scenarios. i was thinking i might be able to get by without carrying extra fuel, but now i don't think it will be wise. when you look at certain roads, you can easily find a thousand reports that detail the ride, but get off that track and it's like no one has ever been there...or at least didn't write anything up.

you still in eastern MT off 94?
I have the F8 together, just not many miles on it. Still have some little tweeks I can work on if I want to. You got your skid plate on yet, or are you fabbing a new one.

Yes, I'm in Glendive. Got a nice loop from here to Devils Tower and back, or there are routes on both the north and south sides of Fort Peck Lake if you are heading Northwest. Or we can just start heading down the road and see where we end up.

At least be able to strap a cheapo can from the hardware store to the bike.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #860
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:

At least be able to strap a cheapo can from the hardware store to the bike.

David
i'm going to need fuel for sure, i've identified one stretch that will be out over 300 miles with no refuel. i'll most likely put the 6L can mounts back on. leaves me with 8 gallons, 350-400 miles on gravel.

when i pin down the route, i'll PM ya. i've got a road you haven't been on. test out that new suspension.

gravel guard goes back on soon. new pannier mounts maybe.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #861
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multisurface Rider View Post
Your bike is great and I would like to see a side view picture of you sitting on the bike.
Thanks
how bout one standing on the pegs...

32 inseam and i can get my toes down without the airhawk. with the airhawk...ohoh, there might be some embarrassing moments in my future.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #862
Bart1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hi, I have been following your project for some time, what a great job, and as I have a DRZ and a Versys it is very tempting, but I would be interested in your thoughts on the brakes now you have a single up front. Are you comfortable with this.
Have just got back fron a trip to Portugal on the DRZ and there were lots of times when I longed for the V. (Ride report in Europe under Wipe Your Own A*se)
Cheers
Bart
Bart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #863
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart1 View Post
Have just got back fron a trip to Portugal on the DRZ and there were lots of times when I longed for the V. (Ride report in Europe under Wipe Your Own A*se)
Cheers
Bart
thanks, glad you enjoyed the read, more to follow.

the Versys has twin 300mm rotors w/ 2 piston calipers, so i'm not going to get the same performance with a single 300mm setup. that said, the brakes seem to perform well. i could have gone bigger, but i used the parts i had on hand. it would be simple to go to 310mm with a bigger caliper if necessary...or

you could use a set of KTM/WP or similar forks set up for twin rotors. i wanted to stay on budget and went with the late model DRZ400S, only $70E for forks, clamps, caliper, and brake line. readily available and cheap in the USA.

since you have a DRZ, you have the best insight into what beefy long travel forks can do for the Versys. now you have a new model bike. my low fender mount is also a fork brace, and man, that front end has a solid feel.

i can understand why you would want ptwin horsepower on your Portugal trip. my next trip is over 20,000km, and i refuse to ride a thumper that kind of distance, although many have. that's one reason for the rat builds.

looks like 5000km of gravel road in the mix, should be a good test of the new machine.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #864
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
when i pin down the route, i'll PM ya. i've got a road you haven't been on. test out that new suspension.
There are lots of roads I haven't been on. Waiting for the PM.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #865
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
There are lots of roads I haven't been on.
ok, PM on the way.

...forgot to mention, ya need to dust off that passport, and find a gas can.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #866
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 475
Hi Dave, either your build has slowed down or you're done.....Have you got that Beast plated yet? I have some pics of Shirley and I from yesterday when we went out for a woods road ride. You'll see the Beast's stable mate has a slightly different look now, lots of upgrades done and a few more to come. Enjoy the Nova Scotia backwoods.

A quick stop at the beach for a snack

wouldn't be right without water

Nova Scotia is full of these type of logging road, watch out for the trucks though...

Found this rock just sitting there

The Sissiboo River

I have a video of Shirley doing some deep water, but SmugMug is being a B*tch.....Anyway enjoy the pics, Hijack off
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #867
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
Hi Dave, either your build has slowed down or you're done.....Have you got that Beast plated yet? I have some pics of Shirley and I from yesterday when we went out for a woods road ride. You'll see the Beast's stable mate has a slightly different look now, lots of upgrades done and a few more to come. Enjoy the Nova Scotia backwoods.

pretty damn cool ride you put together for her, and a smile on her face, priceless. must be great to have a pair of those bikes now for that kind of ride. funny, i mentioned to some of the local ADV guys that i had that low buck 2008 sitting in the corner of the shop but nobody even bothered to come look at it. now they can see it in your photo lookin' real fine. did one of your local guys do the work on the seat? kept standard ride height?

phase one on the rat bike is done and i ride it around close to home 3-4 times a week, no distance and no trips. i'm saving all my "get outta jail free" cards for another long distance ride later this season. might be 25,000km, including some corners of Canuckistan i haven't seen.

next major things on the rat are the gravel guard and panniers, plus a few other small changes.

i've got a section of route that passes through the northern part of your former headquarters, so i'm going to eventually PM you for some road info.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:34 AM   #868
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 5,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post

Just a slight re-hijack...

Great shots Fred...I think that there's a couple of us riding on Sunday if you're interested and its not pissing down rain...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #869
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Just a slight re-hijack...

Great shots Fred...I think that there's a couple of us riding on Sunday if you're interested and its not pissing down rain...

Tell me more......I think this is turning into JD's Nova Scotia bike build/thread stealing show. PM me Craig, I have "others" who like to ride too.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #870
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Quote:
pretty damn cool ride you put together for her, and a smile on her face, priceless. must be great to have a pair of those bikes now for that kind of ride. funny, i mentioned to some of the local ADV guys that i had that low buck 2008 sitting in the corner of the shop but nobody even bothered to come look at it. now they can see it in your photo lookin' real fine. did one of your local guys do the work on the seat? kept standard ride height?

phase one on the rat bike is done and i ride it around close to home 3-4 times a week, no distance and no trips. i'm saving all my "get outta jail free" cards for another long distance ride later this season. might be 25,000km, including some corners of Canuckistan i haven't seen.

next major things on the rat are the gravel guard and panniers, plus a few other small changes.

i've got a section of route that passes through the northern part of your former headquarters, so i'm going to eventually PM you for some road info.

I took the cover of the seat and used a grinder with a flapper disc to carve about 2 1/2 inches of foam out, then had a local guy I know re-cover it for her. I put adjustable lowering links in for her, but after the first real woods ride, she wants the standard height back. You were right about the PO, lots of loose hardware and shoddy wiring, I spent a lot of time getting things back to decent shape, maybe she'll do the Trans NFLD trail with me this summer.