Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #871
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
You were right about the PO, lots of loose hardware and shoddy wiring...
that guy was so challenged by anything electrical i don't think he could successfully change a smoke detector battery. graduate of a well known university with a degree in a technical discipline, just goes to show that framed piece of paper hangin' on the wall can't cure some things.

you bluenosers run along now and have some fun. maybe you'll have those roads sorted by the next time i get there.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #872
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
I probably missed it but what did you end up doing with your silencer? Is that a versys or ninja silencer shown in the more recent pics? Does it have a spark arresstor in it?

I have to swap to something much quieter and maybe i can just trade somebody a stocker for a two brothers.

obviously you made a stocker work even with the taller shock.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #873
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
I have to swap to something much quieter and maybe i can just trade somebody a stocker for a two brothers.
that silencer is oem Versys/650R, both use the same part. i did have a TB can on there in some of the earlier photos, but took it off. the stock silencer is already the most quiet available, and a TB can will wake the dead by comparison.

the oem part looks like it will have interference issues with the 650R swing arm/R1 shock i used, but doesn't. close, but still daylight at max extension.

you're using that bike a little differently than i use mine, so for me the oem is the right choice.

i'll sell ya a scratch-n-dent TB can if ya want one. produces a NHRA Top Fuel kinda sound, ya might like it.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #874
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,483
Dang, its hanging down on the second page again. Any updates?

Put a couple miles on the F8 tonight. Think the new boingers will work out.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #875
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Any updates?

got my hands on some pannier mount parts i was looking for and now just need the panniers. missed out on some used ones, i might have to buy something new for a change, damn. when i get those, then i can fab up the rest of the mount assembly.

glad you were able to get out. reports say that montana got it's annual rainfall in the last three weeks. flooding on the missouri until july. with all the rain and high water i'm wondering about the condition of some of my backroads route west. i'm glad i didn't plan an early trip.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #876
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,427
JD, I got Pelican 1550 cases from these guys - www.cases4less.com for a very reasonable price -- competitive with used name-brand aluminum cases. I just looked at their site, and I think they're actually cheaper @$102 ea. than when I bought mine.

No affiliation.

Order "1550NF" if you want it without the foam.

a
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #877
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
JD, I got Pelican 1550 cases from these guys - www.cases4less.com for a very reasonable price...
thanks for the link, but i'm not using pelicans this time around, although my 1450s are still in good shape. trying something different on this latest rat.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #878
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
glad you were able to get out. reports say that montana got it's annual rainfall in the last three weeks. flooding on the missouri until july. with all the rain and high water i'm wondering about the condition of some of my backroads route west. i'm glad i didn't plan an early trip.
CDT will be a little above the flood levels. Although there will probably be plenty of snowpack through July. The rain has been a pain. It is good you planned a late trip this year.

Here is a link to the report at this end of the state. Linky

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT

MTrider16 screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 05:36 PM
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #879
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,427
Yes, the side-loading issue with the Pelicans is a drag. I got cordura liners from an inmate that help solve the problem somewhat.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:47 AM   #880
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
The rain has been a pain.
i predict a pipeline in the future...to lake mead.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #881
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Yes, the side-loading issue with the Pelicans is a drag. I got cordura liners from an inmate that help solve the problem somewhat.
i like my 1450 pelicans and they fit these bikes perfectly. compact and mount in tight. the side load never bothered me and i just used the "green" cloth shopping bags for liners, usually free or less than a buck.

i've held up on a gear order while i think about it some more. the pelicans might end up on there yet, or i have two other options in the mix. i'm trying to balance the basic load out requirements with total weight and how the weight is distributed. durability and cost are in there too.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #882
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i'm using the DL1000 front wheel, and as i've said before, this is a very versatile wheel for rat builders because bearings are available all the down to 15mm and a variety of cheap rotors in different sizes will bolt right up.

the rotor on the left is a 290mm SV650 rotor and on the right is a 310mm DL 650 cut down to 300mm for use with the Versys calipers/forks. i'm using one of my 300mm rotors with the DRZ fork setup.

oops, got a little carried away with that cutting wheel and knocked the center right out of that SV rotor, glad it was cheap.

i'll turn that center section down to maximum diameter, mount it on the right side of the 19" DL wheel hub and use it for a block off plate to keep junk out of there.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #883
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

looking at my list, i had "folding shifter" written down. the Motech bars protect the stock shifter pretty well, but a folding end would be better yet. i had an old KLR shifter, spring loaded end, and larger diameter peg which was good too. clipped the end off the KLR part and welded it on the stock Versys shifter. extended the arm 20mm at the same time so my boot fits in there better.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #884
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

next down the list was "folding brake", meaning i needed a folding end for the stock Versys pedal.

on the last build, i made a new end for the OEM 650R pedal and i liked the bigger size, but it didn't fold and that made it less survivable.

so bigger and folding both, ok, i had a KLR250 folding footpeg that looked about the perfect size. cut it off the mount and cleaned it up.

cut the end off the stock pedal and carefully positioned the new KLR part.

aaaah, better all the way. hope it doesn't touch the ground, but i'm in good shape if it does.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #885
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
looking at my list, i had "folding shifter" written down. the Motech bars protect the stock shifter pretty well, but a folding end would be better yet. i had an old KLR shifter, spring loaded end, and larger diameter peg which was good too. clipped the end off the KLR part and welded it on the stock Versys shifter. extended the arm 20mm at the same time so my boot fits in there better.
Looks good, I'll be using that same folding end on my mutant. My old KLR shifter broke at the shaft mount somewhere in a Montana forest last year. Good thing I didn't throw it as far as could, which was the first thing that crossed my mind.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote