Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #946
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
still have some time to go before i head west. the COE is taking some big time heat over how they managed those dams on the Missouri.
COE can't win. We (Montana) were whinning about how empty Ft Peck was the last couple years previous to this. Rain caught them flat footed this spring, I'm not sure what they could have done differently. Do they keep the pools low to accomodate a 100 year flood, or do they maximize recreation and power production? Of course right now, we aren't too worried about the flows from the dam, its the Bismarcks, Souix City etc downstream that are pissed off.

The dams on the Souris and the city of Minot, is another matter entirely. I think folks have a more legitamate complaint with that one.

In the case of your trip, watch out for flooding as you cross the Missouri and Mississippi. Remember there is lots of snow in the mountians.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 AM   #947
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,920
Quick upgrade list?

Gday JD, good stuff on your builds.
I've read all through both your builds, seen them on the "other" forum, read up on Sanjoh's too, I'm quite taken with the idea. For where I live (really bumpy single-lane bitumen, gravel with a few corrugations, "red grease" wet clay in winter), I reckon they would do an admirable job.......way better than the old-girl V-wobble for sure!
Even though I've read all your posts, it can be tough to remember everything that you guys have done! the suspension upgrades are what I'm most interested in.

1. What would be the order of rear coil-over upgrades in your opinion, based on cost/performance ratio? Eg, step 1 Versys shock, step 2 R1 with coil, etc.

2. What would be the cheap and easiest way to upgrade the front for over 6" of travel to match the new rear? Eg, step 1 Versys front, Step 2 big Showa from?

The best bike out here I had was a Kaboom Supermoto, the WP stuff with Brembo's was just bike heaven on this shit, but soon tired of the plank and lack of power (and mine had WELL over 50rwhp). If I could afford it, a WP front and rear under a hotrodded Versys or ER6 would be the go I think, 990 SM's are too heavy for what I want, and anyway, they go Kaboom too probably!

Very much enjoy reading about your shed time!
Old 07-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #948
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Rain caught them flat footed this spring...
they're the guys in charge, no flat footing allowed.

now, oil in the water too.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #949
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
COE can't win. We (Montana) were whinning about how empty Ft Peck was the last couple years previous to this. Rain caught them flat footed this spring, I'm not sure what they could have done differently.

David
They are in a tight spot. No matter what they do, someone is getting flooded.

Hope this doesnt affect your ride.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #950
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

You saw the note about the pipeline break. 750-1000 barrels of crude in a river running near floodstage. Its a slow news day. They have a couple of slicks in some side channels, otherwise the oil is gone.

Just to put it in perspective, at the most 42,000 gallons of crude was released. Currently the Yellowstone river is running past Billings at 415,000 gallons per second.

No, I don't want it to happen again, and I'm glad they are out with equipment to mop up the oil they can find. However our news paper is running around like chicken little, saying the sky is falling, and talking about how benzene a component of crude oil is a carcinogen.

David
Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #951
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
Even though I've read all your posts, it can be tough to remember everything that you guys have done! the suspension upgrades are what I'm most interested in.

1. What would be the order of rear coil-over upgrades in your opinion, based on cost/performance ratio? Eg, step 1 Versys shock, step 2 R1 with coil, etc.

2. What would be the cheap and easiest way to upgrade the front for over 6" of travel to match the new rear? Eg, step 1 Versys front, Step 2 big Showa from?

midwest or Oz, not sure where you call home. let's assume Oz. so you've probably already guessed that the USA is awash in cheap parts, take your pick, name your price. apparently, this is not the case in other places, at least that's what i've been told more than once.

versys shocks are somewhat scarce, and the price can be all over the board. works ok for these builds, but only if found real cheap. otherwise, go directly to the 2008 R1. your budget for a like new R1 and the custom spring of your choice should be only $150USD. this inexpensive custom shock works great, and i've now field tested it on and off road. the build thread mentions the few things necessary to mount this shock.

as you have read, the Versys front end assembly swaps right in, same stem, same bearings. you need the whole works, including bar riser. added advantage is that your ER6 wheels and brakes work with these USD forks without modification. DL1000 wheel also swaps right in for a 19" front with dual rotors. disadvantage, they are also scarce, some say unobtainable, and not a long travel fork. they work ok, and i have been all over the north using these forks. however...

since you said cheap and easy with 6" travel, i would use the 2008 and up 41mm KLR forks. these forks can now be found relatively cheap, at least in the USA, and use the OEM 41mm clamps found on the ER6, no changes. these forks were used on tonymorr's original bike, and he reported no problems. use a spoke front or DL1000. if you go with cast wheels, both the strom front and sv650 rear in three spoke cast are easy to swap in. spoke rear would be 17" KTM with cush hub/20mm axle, or similar.

i used 49mm DRZ conventionals in Versys clamps, and there have been a variety of other USD forks used also. so, sometimes your decision is at least partially based on what you can get your hands on...cheap.

glad you're enjoying the read.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #952
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastard View Post

Hope this doesnt affect your ride.
naw, if i fall in one of those big mudholes out west i'm going to call David MTrider16. he can ride out, throw that ol' lasso down on me, and drag me out...just like those steers on his ranch.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #953
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
midwest or Oz, not sure where you call home. let's assume Oz.
glad you're enjoying the read.
Midwest, West Australia.
Google "Carnamah", being the thriving metropolis that it is (aahhh, might be a touch of sarcasm, possibly), it's bound to come up at least once! It's actually the centre of the universe, it's just that we're the only ones who realize it.......

Thanks for the quick rundown man, there's so much info in your threads it's hard to condense it down.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #954
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Quote:
naw, if i fall in one of those big mudholes out west i'm going to call David MTrider16. he can ride out, throw that ol' lasso down on me, and drag me out...just like those steers on his ranch.
You'll probably drown before I get there. I'm slow as snails, remember? You'll be fine, just more water in the northern tier than we are used to seeing

David.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #955
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
"Carnamah" ...It's actually the centre of the universe...
good to know where it went, some folks have been looking for it.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:15 AM   #956
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
I'm slow as snails, remember?
you bolted on all those go fast parts since.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #957
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
"versys shocks are somewhat scarce, and the price can be all over the board. works ok for these builds, but only if found real cheap. otherwise, go directly to the 2008 R1. your budget for a like new R1 and the custom spring of your choice should be only $150USD. this inexpensive custom shock works great, and i've now field tested it on and off road. the build thread mentions the few things necessary to mount this shock."

Care to share what you used for a custum spring? I have looked all through your thread and could not find any thing on that. PM sent.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #958
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx View Post
"versys shocks are somewhat scarce, and the price can be all over the board. works ok for these builds, but only if found real cheap. otherwise, go directly to the 2008 R1. your budget for a like new R1 and the custom spring of your choice should be only $150USD. this inexpensive custom shock works great, and i've now field tested it on and off road. the build thread mentions the few things necessary to mount this shock."

Care to share what you used for a custum spring? I have looked all through your thread and could not find any thing on that. PM sent.
Cannon Racecraft http://www.cannonracecraft.com/, talk to TONY the shop foreman.

They have the build spec on the spring for the R1 that they developed from the shock I sent them, so just tell them the weight of the spring you want and the powdercoat color.

for anyone interested, here's the writeup brought forward...

the UPS guy brought me my custom R1 shock this afternoon. man, what a beauty. stock spring on right.

i sent my stock R1 with the OEM spring still mounted over to Cannon Racecraft (http://www.cannonracecraft.com/) after talking by phone with Tony, the shop foreman at Cannon. they hadn't built a spring for this shock previously, and i wanted a spring built to this specific shock, not a generic spring that might need extra collars. Tony wanted the whole shock, so i put it in the mail thursday, a week ago.

i called Cannon at 9am the following monday, and caught up with Tony just as he was opening the box. i wanted a 16kg/mm or 900lb/in spring built, and Tony replied "let me check a few things and i'll call you back".

at exactly 11am, only two hours later, Tony is back on the phone "your spring is done and i sent it over for powdercoating. tests at 16.1kg/mm, say 900lbs/in". it took two days waiting in line until they powdercoated a batch in gloss black, but the elapsed time in the Cannon shop for this custom spring was only three days. talk about smokin' service from Cannon Racecraft, thanks Tony.

Tony kept the spec sheet for this spring, so if you want a custom R1 spring you can have it built to just about any rate and mailed directly to you. just call Cannon, and ask for Tony, he'll fix ya up.

the spring cost $109, powdercoated in your choice of color.

i still need to bore the bushings, but exclusive of postage, this custom shock has cost a whopping $134. not too bad.

i thought i better add a post script: the R1 shock i am using is a 2008 model. there are some differences in the R1 shock over the model years, and i am not 100% sure all the shocks/stock springs are the same. verify first, for a fact, there are some R1 shocks in a configuration that will not work in this application.

Makes a nice setup for little money.

When and where in montana?

jdrocks screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 03:42 PM
Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #959
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Thanks for posting that information. That will help alot. I talked to Tony today.

Going to go down the CDR route to southern Montana and then back up the eastern side of the Rockies on a route I planned. Leaving 7/23/11.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #960
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Dude, put it off if you can. They haven't cleared the GTTS road in Glacier yet.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/gla...roadstatus.cfm

Not to mention all the washouts in the forrest service roads. Its been a late summer this year.

David