Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #976
Ednukey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
that GPS a 78? what's the deal with the clip on the rear axle?

which computer do you take with you?
Greetings from Prince George, BC -- last wifi until Yellowknife, or beyond -- gotta love that about McD. Up here you get a coffee, muffin and wifi for ~1.50.

I'll be heading over to fill up the bladder shortly. If there is free wifi in Yellowknife, I'll send word of my experience with it.

The GPS is a 76csx -- identical internals to the 60csx. It just has a different external layout and it floats. It's in a FOARM protective case that I created a bracket for, so that I could have a homemade 'RAM' mount.

I usea hitch pin in place of a cotter pin on the rear axle. It's continuously reusable, and easier to mess with. Never had any issue with one falling out. Though, I always have a spare.

I roll with a Dell mini 1012 netbook. I use it for all kinds of stuff. It's damn handy.

Thanks for the tips about Yellowknife. It would be great if our paths cross.
Ednukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #977
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednukey View Post
Greetings from Prince George, BC -- last wifi until Yellowknife, or beyond -- gotta love that about McD. Up here you get a coffee, muffin and wifi for ~1.50.

I'll be heading over to fill up the bladder shortly. If there is free wifi in Yellowknife, I'll send word of my experience with it.
you can find free wifi the entire way, including yellowknife. canuckistan is about the most connected country in the world, including settlements in remote areas.

i'm serious about big animals on the roads. i've seen more bears, moose, and bison up in that area than just about anywhere else in canada. ft. providence to yellowknife is lousy with bison, but those things can step out of the bush on other roads too. be like hitting a 1500# rock.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #978
Ednukey
Adventurer

Quote:
you can find free wifi the entire way, including yellowknife. canuckistan is about the most connected country in the world, including settlements in remote areas.

i'm serious about big animals on the roads. i've seen more bears, moose, and bison up in that area than just about anywhere else in canada.
Can't believe I forgot about the size of Dawson Creek, on the way....I've spent a couple of hours this morning in a McD's drying-out myself and my riding gear, after getting completely soaked last night. I forgot I could fall asleep while shivering. The time penalty isn't bad, considering I avoided any camping or motel fees.

I will head your advice on the game. I had a bison cross the road on me last year, but I stopped well in advance. I had my first VERY close encounter with a deer in TN, on my way west. Missed the sucker by ~10ft, at 80 mph. I was the only vehicle for 1/2 mile in either direction...

I filled the bladder with 12.1L. So far, no leaks, and seems to hold the mass of the fuel pretty solidly, after some rather bumpy road conditions. The general design of the bladder leaves a lot to be desired -- from the perspectives of handling while filling, and ability to be secured. They would have done better to leave at least a 1 inch border of fused bladder material around the perimeter, then placed some grommet holes around the perimeter. I trust the sewn lashing loops about as far as I could throw my bike -- which ain't very far. I think the best option, which I considered before departing, but didn't follow-through with -- would be to put the bladder inside of an old duffell bag or lightweight backpack, which could then be secured. I'm gonna run over to Wal Mart and see if there is anything cheap over there.

BTW, do you think Fort Smith or Fort Resolution, on the southeast side of Great Slave are worthy destinations?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #979
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:

BTW, do you think Fort Smith or Fort Resolution, on the southeast side of Great Slave are worthy destinations?
you can get down into Wood Buffalo park on the way to Ft. Smith. gravel road typical of what you have seen. camp at the river.

which direction did you ride from Dawson Crk? Ft. Nelson or Peace River?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #980
Ednukey
Adventurer

Greetings from Yellowknife! I wonder if I'm the first V to make it here. As you can tell from the SPOT, I took your advice on Ft Smith.

When are you hitting the road?

I'll be kicking around this neck of the woods for a bit, but not as long as I'd like, as I have to be back in PDX by Aug 20, for a wedding.

I'm figuring I'll head to Wrigley, after here, since I'm this far north -- provided the weather doesn't turn to complete crap. It's interesting, the 'locals' seem to revere the 'crappiness' of the Liard Hwy over the Dempster. I've received more warnings about it than any other road. Interesting.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #981
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:

I'm figuring I'll head to Wrigley, after here, since I'm this far north -- provided the weather doesn't turn to complete crap. It's interesting, the 'locals' seem to revere the 'crappiness' of the Liard Hwy over the Dempster. I've received more warnings about it than any other road. Interesting.
no kidding on the Liard, could be the most challenging of all the named gravel roads if the conditions are poor.. it would have been impassible if wet when i went through in 2007. the right of way was not cleared and animals could step right out of the bush onto the road. the road was closed for repairs above Ft. Liard earlier this season. Mackenzie should be in good shape out to Checkpoint and the intersection with the Liard. no fuel until Ft. Simpson.

real good Deh Cho campground at Samba Deh on the Trout river, another in Ft. Simpson. road is chip most of the way above Checkpoint to the ferry. rough graded ferry landings. very nice museum/welcome center. watch your bike and gear. haven't been to Wrigley.

south on the Liard, another Deh Cho campground at Blackstone on the river. Nahanni Range on the other side. also a free campground on a small lake off the road into Ft. Liard, but i hesitate to recommend it. Bloods and Crips.

Liard chip from the BC border south to the Alcan. Let me know what you find south from Checkpoint to Ft. Liard.

i'm out of here in two weeks.

maybe you are the first Versys in Yellowknife...or at least until someone claims ya got beat.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #982
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,622
Are you getting some more garage time yet? Hope the next two weeks go smoothly for you.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #983
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Are you getting some more garage time yet? Hope the next two weeks go smoothly for you.

David
no shop time, this is going to be the most frantic last minute trip prep ever. one for the record books.

i have a new set of TKCs lost in space somewhere between here and the Yukon, hope they show up.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #984
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Sounds like my trips, still its all part of the adventure.

David
Old 07-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #985
Ednukey
Adventurer

Quote:
no kidding on the Liard, could be the most challenging of all the named gravel roads if the conditions are poor..

i'm out of here in two weeks.

maybe you are the first Versys in Yellowknife...or at least until someone claims ya got beat.
Thanks for the tips. I'll be heading out of Yellowknife later today. I'll update you on the road when I get to Whitehorse. It's looking to be a mixture of rain and clouds the next few days in the NWT. Looks like I'm missing some sunny Dempster weather. I'll just take it slow on the Liard. I kinda need to anyway, to maintain my range. I have such a load -- -- with two tires, etc. my mpg drops-off dramatically above 60-65mph.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #986
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Sounds like my trips, still its all part of the adventure.

David
nah, mine starts when i turn the key and yell...ya-freakin'-hoo.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #987
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I'll be heading out of Yellowknife later today. I'll update you on the road when I get to Whitehorse.
i'd ride around whitehorse unless you have some pressing reason for going there. from watson lake, take the back way over to carmacks via ross river (fuel). faro is now supposed to have fuel after the gas station burned in 2008, but i'd check first.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #988
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 631
Hey jdrocks,

Very nice work! I'm about to embark on an adventure bike build - looking for a laid over CB919f to convert. Are there more threads and pics of yours I can check out?

Thanks
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #989
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

all additional build info and updates are going to be over on the Versys forum.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=5480&page=30

the new V649HP build starts at about post 599, and goes on from there.

no new updates on the build in this thread. see ya over there.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #990
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

The new bike.

Its looking really good JD. The engine gaurds and skid plate tie together nicely and the Pelican cases are nice and tight. It looks like it will take on the F8GS just fine.

Have a good trip.

David