Old 10-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #1112
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbowers03 View Post
Let me the first to call Dibs on the V649HP when you decide to sell it
there's a line, ya gotta take a number.

besides, i thought you were building your own.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #1113
rlbowers03
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
No, I'm just riding! I'm pushing towards 50K. I can't find a 19" front wheel, not to mention the forks. The R-1 shock is sitting on my bench just waiting.

As I follow your RR I haven't seen any mention of aux fuel. Use it? Need it? Recomendations?

83,500 miles and counting

rlbowers03 screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 02:25 PM
rlbowers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #1114
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbowers03 View Post
No, I'm just riding! I'm pushing towards 50K. I can't find a 19" front wheel, not to mention the forks. The R-1 shock is sitting on my bench just waiting.

As I follow your RR I haven't seen any mention of aux fuel. Use it? Need it? Recomendations?
the DL1000 wheel can be tough to find, but they're available. DRZ forks are easy and cheap, even late model in excellent shape. you should get a spring for the R1, bore the bushings, and mount it now with your current setup.

as for fuel on my trip, have some fuel stories coming up in the report.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #1115
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

questions have come up regarding the Versys/ER6 air filter, specifically, whether the stock filter is up to the task on miles of dusty gravel roads. here's the filter after about 14,000 miles, 12,000 on the trip, including thousands of miles of gravel.

the filter was dirty and needed to be serviced, but not too bad at all considering the miles. on gravel, i make it a point not to eat dust, even if i have to slow down or stop to let the dust settle. easier on both rider and bike.

the airbox behind the filter was clean, good to see, nothing was getting past the filter.

i think the high airbox intakes and airbox design itself helps too.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #1116
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i went from dual discs on the stock 17" wheel, then dual discs on the DL1000 19", and then this bike with the single disc on the 19" wheel.

after all the recent miles, i'd have to report that the setup works real well. no problems stopping the bike in any of various conditions i encountered.

the KLR of similar weight uses a 280mm rotor, while i'm using a 300mm rotor that i had on hand. if starting from scratch, you would choose a 310mm rotor from several suzuki models that would fit the DL1000 wheel, including the actual DL rotors, 1000 or 650. if the 310s are unavailable at the right price, the 290mm rotor from the SV650 will also fit the wheel. remember, you need a pair of rotors, one for the caliper side, while the second supplies the center section for the block off plate on the other side of the wheel.

all the bikes used the Versys/ER6 calipers with OEM pads. i do recommend a SS brake line with the single rotor/caliper setup.

jdrocks screwed with this post 10-05-2011 at 04:40 PM
Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #1117
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 265
Very inspiring, I'm learning a lot from you, JD. Thank you.
hansi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #1118
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
Very inspiring, I'm learning a lot from you, JD. Thank you.

you're welcome, but don't read the ride report, i might teach you how to get your bike upside down.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #1119
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
you're welcome, but don't read the ride report, i might teach you how to get your bike upside down.
Don't need your help to get my bike upside down .
hansi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #1120
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

if you're using the Versys frame, like the V649HP...

the 2008 R1 shock mod is well known now, a proven performer, and great substitute for the OEM Versys shock. very inexpensive compared to the brand name aftermarket alternatives. the shock is often found as a like new takeoff from an R1 bike, mine cost $25 and was essentially new. bushings and springs for the R1 have been discussed in the thread.

two known issues with the R1 when used on the Versys are interference with the right side tank trim plastic where the shock reservoir hits, and secondly, wheel travel.

the tank trim needs to be relieved for clearance, very easy to cut a nice smooth radius, it's just plastic.

i couldn't get the shock reservoir to hit the plastic before i had the bike loaded for travel, so i never bothered to trim the piece. if you don't trim it, you'll eventually break it...anyone have an extra they want to sell cheap?

unless you tune the R1 to fit your loaded weight and riding style, the rear tire will hit the fender liner. it might take some time, or the right road at the right speed, but it will hit. the R1 shock is not bottomed when it hits, unlike the OEM shock that bottoms as the tire hits, there's simply more shock travel than possible wheel travel, at least with the 150/70 rear, a common change from the stock 160/60 size rear tire.

you can feel the tire hit the liner, so adjust the shock settings according. even with the shock setup a little stiffer, the ride is still far superior to the stock Versys shock.

the guys using the R1 on a ER6/650R build wouldn't have the tank trim, but would still have the tire/fender liner interference.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #1121
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
if you're using the Versys frame, like the V649HP...

. . . . . . .

two known issues with the R1 when used on the Versys are interference with the right side tank trim plastic where the shock reservoir hits, and secondly, wheel travel.
. . . . . . .

the guys using the R1 on a ER6/650R build wouldn't have the tank trim, but would still have the tire/fender liner interference.
I think I just got confused. (Nothing new really, just an observation.) I have been following your threads somewhat and have a model question.

Which Kaw models are you using? Or better put, which ones work for this conversion. Seems like there's a ton of Ninja models. I ask because I thought you were using a 650r but you say you had to trim the tank trim piece which makes me think you are using the Versys frame. Also, is it the ER-6N or are there ER-6's as well? As I peruse CL, need help in what to search for. Thanks.
OHjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #1122
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHjim View Post
I think I just got confused. (Nothing new really, just an observation.) I have been following your threads somewhat and have a model question.

Which Kaw models are you using? Or better put, which ones work for this conversion. Seems like there's a ton of Ninja models. I ask because I thought you were using a 650r but you say you had to trim the tank trim piece which makes me think you are using the Versys frame. Also, is it the ER-6N or are there ER-6's as well? As I peruse CL, need help in what to search for. Thanks.
ok, here we go.

the first rat was based on the ER6F/Ninja 650R and used the Versys suspension, this one...

wrecked in western Montana when hit by a grain truck on the way down from Alaska, pounded back into riding shape with the aid of the local ranchers, and then ridden 2700 miles home. R.I.P.

the second rat was based on a different ER6F/650R, the fabricated components were redesigned, the Versys suspension reused, and the DL1000 19" front added, this one...

this bike did a 10,000 mile loop through northern Quebec, Labrador, Newfoundland and the rest last year. R.I.P.

for the V649HP, i used a very cheap ER6F/650R for a parts bike, i needed the cop motor and related parts, this one...

picked up a cheap bare Versys frame complete with title paperwork, this one...

added the custom suspension and dropped the cop motor into the Versys frame, bolts right up. instant V649HP, all fairly easy, like this...

then it was just a matter of adding the missing parts and pieces.

most of the rat bikes using the kawasaki 650 ptwin are ER6F/650R based, although there may be more Versys builds on the way. the ER6F/ER6N/Versys all share the same frame, with the Versys having a different subframe.

what should you look for? any of the three that you can find cheap, given condition, miles, and usable parts. capable gravel runner, or more dirt oriented, there are many ways to take the build. much can be learned from the other Ninja build threads too. it's a lot easier now than it was just a few years ago, much of the guesswork is gone.

i'm still partial to the cop motor, you can build a heck of a bike around that thing.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #1123
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Great sum-up, thanks. I either missed or didn't remember the Versys frame substitution.
OHjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #1124
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,505

Don't worry about missing that detail about the frame. There are only 75 pages of the peanut gallery either telling JD to get his lazy but out to the shop, or telling him how his design won't work. In between all that drivel there were some salient conversations by yours truly and some nice pics by JD on how to build a bike.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #1125
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post

Don't worry about missing that detail about the frame. There are only 75 pages of the peanut gallery either telling JD to get his lazy but out to the shop, or telling him how his design won't work. In between all that drivel there were some salient conversations by yours truly and some nice pics by JD on how to build a bike.

David
there ya have it, the Cliff Notes synopsis of the entire rat bike build process in just two posts.