Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 01:30 AM   #226
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

This is beautiful. I wish all logbooks/guest books had drawings!

Quote:
It was a pretty rough night, mice running over me...I swear one dropped off a rafter onto the table in the other room.
Rodent-infested places are fun, huh? Make hantavirus your favorite!
Thanks again for the cabin tours - I had no idea there were so many in DV...

(hey what happened to that multiquote function? )

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #227
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
This is beautiful. I wish all logbooks/guest books had drawings!

Rodent-infested places are fun, huh? Make hantavirus your favorite!
Thanks again for the cabin tours - I had no idea there were so many in DV...

(hey what happened to that multiquote function? )

The logs at Russells are the most complete. The Phantom Ranger has been taking the log books, making copies, then returning the copies and logbooks. This one was complete from the late 1980's when the park got the cabin and this adopt-a-cabin thing started. I've also learned that Ranger Inman promoted to Special Agent around the time of the missing german tourist case in 1996.

Yeah, the cabins on this side aren't used as often as the Panamint side cabins and they tend to get pretty dirty between guests.

I just learned of another cabin that is on the list for the future. Near Martin's Crossing, I'll have to do some research to figure out how to find it.

I'm uploading a video tour of the Stateline Cabin that I didn't post earlier.

Edit: Here's the Stateline Cabin, wind is rippin' and you can't hear me for part of it.

larryboy screwed with this post 12-31-2010 at 12:02 PM
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #228
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Without an odometer or a speedometer I've been crunching quick numbers from my maps and trying to keep my fuel runs under 250 miles. I made it to PSR the first time from Dyer and had 2 gallons left in the tank...that was after using my 1.5 gallon tank, without the extra I might have been in trouble since the petcocks are slightly lower than the carb. This loop has been considerably more miles and I used my extra 1.5 back at Ballarat, but I've tried to keep the revs down. I hope I make it and to make sure I can get help if I run out I'm sticking to pavement for now. Plus, I'm looking for a mystery cabin that a girl told me about the other day.

Whew, made it..fill her up!!

Early afternoon I decide to have a big lunch at the Crowbar and then I'll skip dinner tonight.

Yeah, I'm frozen again. I guzzle hot coffee and go over my maps to figure out where this other cabin might be.

Lunch is served and I think I figured out where to look for the cabin..it just has to be near Rhodes Hill.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #229
daves4mtb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Awesome ride report. I go by some of these towns when I go to Mammoth from so cal every year. Some are eerie, like Trona, which I've always thought would be a good setting for a horror movie. I didn't know about the cabins. Makes me want to get a dual sport and head out there.
daves4mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #230
Fredfredburger
CTRL ALT DEL

Oddometer: 569
Still outstanding.

One question on the cabins, what is up with the various supplies in the cabins? Are they just left behind by others using the cabin for the benefit of those that will stay later? Same with the reading material I guess.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #231
Madmedic
Moto GP rules

Oddometer: 111
Great report, love all the old cabins. Very cool that people are keeping them up for everyone to share. Will have to head out there some day.
Madmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #232
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
cabins!
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 PM   #233
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Thanks for reading, guys!!

The deal on the cabins is to leave things for others and if you can't carry much like all of us on motorcycles, then help yourself and have a good time.

In one cabin there was a gallon sized can of chili and somebody wrote on it, "Would somebody please eat this, it's been here since 1996.".

So..yes, eat stuff and use what's left there..it's actually polite to bask in the kindness of others.

I'm going to return in 2011 by way of Jeep and pay back some of what I have recieved over the years. I made a little list of things I can repair at various cabins and will be leaving food and stuff...just good western manners I suppose.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #234
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I've been to Shoshone quite a few times, but this is the first time that the museum has been open. Let's go check it out!!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #235
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I'm done in Shoshone for this trip and head south to pick up Furnace Creek Wash.

This is a much better option than the Harry Wade Exit Route, less washboard.

I get back on the pavement and creep along at about ten miles an hour. I don't know which side of the road this place should be on, but I'm determined to find it.

I spot a faint trail on my right, went past it and came back, couldn't find it and had to turn around again. This looks promising!!

I'm sooo excited, I found the Rhodes Cabin!!!

What a find!!! I had fully intended to give you guys a gpx upload to go along with each days reporting, but the failed gps fouled that up..you'll just have to get on your motorcycle and go I'm afraid.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #236
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,904
Quote:
Thanks for reading, guys!!

The deal on the cabins is to leave things for others and if you can't carry much like all of us on motorcycles, then help yourself and have a good time.

In one cabin there was a gallon sized can of chili and somebody wrote on it, "Would somebody please eat this, it's been here since 1996.".

So..yes, eat stuff and use what's left there..it's actually polite to bask in the kindness of others.

I'm going to return in 2011 by way of Jeep and pay back some of what I have recieved over the years. I made a little list of things I can repair at various cabins and will be leaving food and stuff...just good western manners I suppose.
Great report. I think it's really great, especially with the weather being as cool as it was, to have cozy cabins to stay in. Sounds like a fun vacation just going around stocking and fixing.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #237
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Yeah Rod, it was a great time!!

Check this place out!!

I hung a blanket over this doorway to keep the heat on this side.

It's a little bit dirty. I'm thinking of setting my tent up inside so I can sleep without critters getting on me.

The flag is hoisted, it's mine for the night.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #238
southroads
old and tired

Oddometer: 142
Thanks

Thanks for posting this up Larryboy, Awesome way to recover from nye celebrations,,

cheers
Old 12-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #239
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Great RR. This is the first one of your's, I have read, but was a great way to pass time while waiting for the ball to drop, this new year's eve.

Those cabins amaze me too....not the cabins themselves, but the fact that they have not been destroyed or vandalize by punks. Here in NJ, they would have never held up....but this is a state of punks. LOL Its good to see people want to take care of something, instead of taring it down. I suppose that the people that would be that far out and away from civilization, are the same people that would respect that stuff...great to see.

this below...nice project. DR/DRZ rolling chassis with old school GSXR motor?

Up, I see from pic name its a bandit...cool stuff.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #240
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Thanks for reading, southroads. Happy New Year!!

Yeah Doug, it's actually a Bandit 600 including the chassis with CR500 suspension grafted on.