Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #46
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,234
Wow, have you guys tried the new multi-quote button? Nice work, Baldy!! Still hate the star system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D View Post
Fuck yeah! I'm in, but screw the popcorn... Where's the Scotch and cigar icon?
That's pretty funny, Todd!!! Drinking and smoking happens later in the story, it's almost like you were there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorzen View Post
Love these ride reports larryboy!

Read yours from before, then found myself riding the OBCDR this summer. Maybe DV next year? I'll blame it on you!
I'll take that blame, thanks for reading!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Hell Rob, youre a regular local. You seems to know everyone in DV and the Panamints.

Great start.

Shit man, I really, really dont have time for this, but I can never pass up one of your RR's! Rock on.
Yeah, I'm kind of a regular now. I had found out that my good friend Green Turtle Jim had passed away and I was on a quest to find out why as the last time I saw him he was in great health at 72 years old.

Thanks for taking time out of your trip to look in.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #47
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,794
[QUOTE=crashmaster;14713687

Shit man, I really, really dont have time for this, but I can never pass up one of your RR's! Rock on. [/QUOTE]

+ 1

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #48
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Hiya, wachs!!!

Back out to the pavement.

The temps had come up since I'd been gone and Monitor Pass was open again. I think they plowed it so they could recover all the crashed cars from the snap snowstorm that caught everybody by surprise.

I didn't expect to see another bike, he was just as surprised.

There was a super happy Louie Dawg when I got home.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #49
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

In between work shifts I scrambled to sort through issues I found on the shakedown run.

I'm going to carry that new tire with me and change it later.

Fresh rear wheel bearings, seals and spacers went in.

A new Dirt Tricks sprocket to match the back. The old sprocket was a little too sloppy on the splines for my liking.

I must have tweaked the radiator when I put the fan on it. A little JB Weld to seal up this seam, worked great by the way.

Then I had to sort the wiring since my head/tail lights had quit.

After fresh oil and filter it was time to pack up again. Cut myself on a tuna fish pouch.

The bike is ready.

Once I put that whole pile of stuff on I'll be ready too.

There is a major snow storm coming in and I've almost goofed around long enough to end up in the middle of it. Let's roll...

Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #50
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Dude! Did you leave your fork tube boots off? Put 'em back on! You will pit your tubes and your seals will go as a result!! (get some kind of pertection on 'em anywayz...)

Great RR btw...

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #51
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21 View Post
Dude! Did you leave your fork tube boots off? Put 'em back on! You will pit your tubes and your seals will go as a result!! (get some kind of pertection on 'em anywayz...)

Great RR btw...

Yup, they were getting bunched up and binding the front end during full compression. I've never pitted a slider since I ride alone and never take roost to the front of the bike. My trail riding buddies call me the rock chucker.

CalTrans(DOT) was on top of this coming storm and was out locking gates. I knew I had plenty of time to make

it over the pass before the storm, so I went around the gate. The videos get much better after this one since I

have fresh camera mounts to cure the rattling and don't use the mount on the bike after this video. I mostly

just like the song.

Monitor Pass from larryboy8821 on Vimeo.

I saw a CalTrans truck over on the other side of the pass. He wanted to know how I got past the gate...me, "What gate? I was camping on a side road!! You gonna let me out?"

Mono Lake...I had one heck of a time getting the bike to start here, must have been some bad gas.

I got ahead of the storm and stopped in Bishop to change out the rear tire.

Looked around a little.

The best laid plans...

Silver Canyon from larryboy8821 on Vimeo.

I'm not sure how this is a legal gate, whatever...

I now get to ride 100 miles to get around this gate. If somebody would have been with me we could have gotten the bikes around the gate.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #52
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I went back out to the highway and down to Big Pine, gassed up once more and checked in with home again. I use the Wells Fargo platinum edition SPOT tracker and I didn't want to worry my wife with two fuel purchases so near each other.

I've never gone up Wyman Canyon from this side, so it took me a few tries to find the right road.

There was one slab of ice coming out of a stream crossing...it's cold out here.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #53
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Rob, Listening to the audio on that vid, I don't understand why you didn't just twist the lock off with your bare hands, or melt it with the x-ray lasers from your eyes.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #54
DCruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
cool RR
subscribed
DCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #55
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 652
DV X 21 days

subscribed for once!!!!!
Larryboy come ride Oregon w/ us and I'll make it back to DV next year after the snows subside.???????? Then wewill own the land of closed gates!
Nice start to the ride, are the springs are really that close to your house?
Later!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #56
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Yup, they were getting bunched up and binding the front end during full compression. I've never pitted a slider since I ride alone and never take roost to the front of the bike. My trail riding buddies call me the rock chucker.

CalTrans(DOT) was on top of this coming storm and was out locking gates. I knew I had plenty of time to make

it over the pass before the storm, so I went around the gate. The videos get much better after this one since I

have fresh camera mounts to cure the rattling and don't use the mount on the bike after this video. I mostly

just like the song.

Monitor Pass from larryboy8821 on Vimeo.

I saw a CalTrans truck over on the other side of the pass. He wanted to know how I got past the gate...me, "What gate? I was camping on a side road!! You gonna let me out?"

Mono Lake...I had one heck of a time getting the bike to start here, must have been some bad gas.

I got ahead of the storm and stopped in Bishop to change out the rear tire.

Looked around a little.

The best laid plans...

Silver Canyon from larryboy8821 on Vimeo.

I now get to ride 100 miles to get around this gate. If somebody would have been with me we could have gotten the bikes around the gate.

I rode up Silver Canyon this summer when the Research Station had their annual open house. We rode up silver canyon, then up to the research station and then back down Wyman Canyon to 168 and then back to Bishop. That was a very long loop and we rode to over 12,000 ft. It is 10,000 ft at the top of Silver Canyon so I'm not sure if there was snow up there this time of year or not. Did you ride all the way up Wyman Canyon to the White Mtn Road? If you did you rode up to over 10,000 ft.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #57
PhatS1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thumb I wanna be like Rob in my next life

OK, I'll chime in and vouch for ole Larryboy being down in Saline. This guy fits in with any group and is just super fun to hang with. He will even give a buddy his last beer (well, the last Keystone, he and Paris bogarted the Cornoa). As you all know, he is fearless and will ride where mere mortals fear to tread. I'm feeling a little too old and slow to keep up with him, but KTMNate and Dino2000 oughta hook up with Rob sometime - they are all three a little out there when it comes to the throttle in lonely, rocky places. Anyway, it is another great adventure of a ride report. Keep it up and save me a beer. (We'll have another drink to Turtle Jim - a legend of the desert.) Dan
97 Buell S1 - Red
1981 Hondas (2) Trail 110's - Red
PhatS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #58
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Rob, Listening to the audio on that vid, I don't understand why you didn't just twist the lock off with your bare hands, or melt it with the x-ray lasers from your eyes.

I was frustrated beyond words, fuming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCruiser View Post
cool RR
subscribed
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
subscribed for once!!!!!
Larryboy come ride Oregon w/ us and I'll make it back to DV next year after the snows subside.???????? Then wewill own the land of closed gates!
Nice start to the ride, are the springs are really that close to your house?
Later!

That'd be fun!! The springs are about 360 miles from home, I guess I made it seem close.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #59
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
I rode up Silver Canyon this summer when the Research Station had their annual open house. We rode up silver canyon, then up to the research station and then back down Wyman Canyon to 168 and then back to Bishop. That was a very long loop and we rode to over 12,000 ft. It is 10,000 ft at the top of Silver Canyon so I'm not sure if there was snow up there this time of year or not. Did you ride all the way up Wyman Canyon to the White Mtn Road? If you did you rode up to over 10,000 ft.

Hi Jim, yup I rode the same loop with SFKLR(another Jim), except we went north to Dyer and around the north end because we were camped at Benton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBeerDan View Post
(We'll have another drink to Turtle Jim - a legend of the desert.) Dan

I'll drink to that.

We need to get together, I scored the only book with pictures of Turtle Jim with his trained burros. It's a great story!!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #60
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I've never actually been in this cabin and it was only a hunch that it was fit for humans. I feel like I really scored!!!

I found a bunch of sticks for the woodstove and got ready for a super cold night as that storm is blowing in pretty good.

I made a nice steak that my wifey had picked out for me and prepped enough firewood to last through the night.

The wind blew really hard all night and the cabin seemed really drafty. I didn't notice in the dark, but this window didn't have any glass left...doh!

The snow was just starting. I think I'm at about 8,000 feet here and the bike didn't want to start.

I kicked for about an hour and couldn't even get a snort out of the thing, so I got warmed up and left the bulk of my gear so I could attempt a push start.

I pushed for close to a mile as the snow started to pile up before I finally got it started within feet of a stream crossing that I didn't want to push through. I went back to the cabin and warmed my paws while the bike warmed up.

It's time to get out of here before I can't get out.

Some snow riding...

Wyman Canyon from larryboy8821 on Vimeo.