User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #31
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,940
The podium in BA, today.

Eagerly awaiting for those first Rally raidio calls.

Meanwhile from the new-look Official Dakar website we have this news:

A flavour of the Personal Dakar Argentina Chile is progressively washing over Buenos Aires, where the first date in their diaries was ticked off for the majority of the South American competitors, for administrative scrutineering. At the La Rural exhibition centre, the rally started with satisfaction for the Argentines, who witnessed the arrival of their most prestigious flag-bearer, Marcos Patronelli.

The two previous editions already demonstrated that the Dakar had massive appeal for the Argentinean and Chilean spectators, estimated at approximately 4 million in number along the roads and tracks in 2010. Their enthusiasm for motorsports has inspired many to try out their luck on the rally. This year, the two host countries boast 104 riders and crews registered for the event. Furthermore, neighbouring countries have also weighed in to increase the percentage of South American competitors to almost 30% of the field. Amongst these ranks, the Colombians and Bolivians are making their entrance into the broad family of Dakar participants (51 nationalities this year). Whilst we will have to wait for the continent’s leading riders and drivers (Lopez riding for Aprilia, Terranova driving for X-Raid, etc.) to arrive over the next two days, this opening half-day allowed the unbearable suspense hovering over the participation of Marcos Patronelli to be eliminated.Since 29th November, the day on which the title holder cracked both fibulas during training, the Argentinean quad rider was very uncertain to be taking part in the Dakar 2011. Nevertheless, he threw himself into an intense and lightning-quick recovery programme. “I’m feeling great,” was his comment on arrival, with not even the slightest sign of a limp. However, Marcos has lowered the extent of his ambitions, simply aiming, to start with, to complete the race in the company of his brother Alejandro. Nonetheless, in light of the speed with which he recovered, the hero of the 2010 edition could have some new surprises in store for his fans.The machines will make their entrance to La Rural starting tomorrow. Some of the race favourites will be present at the scrutineering stands. The spectators attending the Dakar Village, for example, will be able to admire the trucks of Vladimir Chagin or Ales Loprais, the bikes of Viladoms, Ullevalseter or Rodrigues, as well as the buggies belonging to Matthias Kahle or Benat Errandonea.

I don't think anyone told them yet that Chagin is still stuck in Spain due to weather delays in Russia with no availible flights for another week to BA!

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 12-29-2010 at 07:14 PM
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #32
Chilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
First Dakar Pics Posted

Super photographer Joe Bonnello has just sent me his first stuff from Buenos Aires and it is now posted

http://www.enduro360.com/2010/12/29/...-first-photos/

Old 12-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #33
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Some Stats

With 430 vehicles expected at the start in Buenos Aires, the Dakar has witnessed an increase in participation near to 20% in relation to the 2010 edition. The density of top-level competitors promises an intense struggle for victory in all categories.

The impressions of Frédéric Lequien, Deputy Director of the Dakar:“In the bike category, rarely in the history of the Dakar will the field have been so evenly matched, since limiting elite riders to 450cc machines has opened new perspectives for constructors. Aprilia, KTM, Yamaha, Honda, Sherco… almost all of them will be present. The race promises to be captivating, now there is a more level playing field and without a doubt, we will be treated to an excellent spectacle.

As for the cars, BMW X Raid will start from a strong position with no less than 6 cars at the start. With the progress of the X3, Stéphane Peterhansel now possesses a formidable weapon for victory and to throw a spanner in the works of Volkswagen’s plans, even if the new Race Touaregs seem extremely efficient, as could be seen with the triumph of Carlos Sainz on the Silk Way Rally in Russia. Volkswagen knows how to deliver thrilling races: to illustrate Kris Nissen didn’t give racing instructions to Sainz and Al Attiyah in their final duel last year! The outsiders will all be taking starter’s orders: Robby Gordon will be entering two cars, Mathias Kahle, the former German rally champion will be driving the new SMG buggy, and let’s not forget the Overdrive or Dessoude prototypes…

A special nod should be given to the NRJ challenge (for alternative fuels) with 6 cars on the starting line this year. Toyota Autobody will be fielding two vehicles running on fuel recycled at 100% from cooking oil, a French project will be running a hydrogen/diesel hybrid and other vehicles will be powered by liquid gas. In the truck race, all the leading lights will be present: Kamaz, De Rooy, Ginaf, Hino, Tatra… Of particular note is the return of the official MAN trucks via the private Veka team. The race will be more open than ever before!”

The event in figures:•Total number of vehicles enrolled: 430 (362 in 2010)
•Cars: 146 (134 in 2010) - Bikes: 183 (151 in 2010)- Quads: 33 (25 in 2010) - Trucks: 68 (52 in 2010)
•51 nationalities will take starter’s orders (40 in 2010).
•13 women will participate, all categories included.
•6 crews have enrolled for the NRJ Challenge (for alternative fuels).
•First-time participants: 64 bikes - 21 quads - 50 cars - 1 truck.

Interesting facts:For his second participation, Rodrigo Andrčs Caballero Alcayaga in the bike category will be, at the age of 20 years, the youngest competitor in the event.

Japan’s Yoshimasa Sugawara, at the age of 69 years, holds the record for the number of participations, with 28 consecutive Dakar rallies!

- http://www.dakar.com
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #34
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 614
Let's go!!!

Not sure how many saw this interview, it was posted on the Dakar iPhone app a few days ago:

NUMERO 7 : JONAH STREET - GYTR

“The Dakar is all about navigation” The 2010Dakar should have been a pilgrimage for Jonah Street. Six weeks before taking part in his 4th Dakar, the American lost a team mate and close friend in a race in the US. Street had a difficult time staying focused on an event where he could have finished in the top three. After finishing a career best 7th, Street even thought about retiring. A few months later, following a race in South Carolina and long discussion with his wife, Street decided to come back.

He will line-up for the 2011 Dakar aboard a Yamaha 450 with a single objective: victory. “Last year the Dakar was really difficult for me. Mentally, it was hard for me to ride fast. I began to think about retirement but I talked with my wife at length and I decided to continue…beyond the change in engine displacement for the ‘elite’ riders, for me the big difference has to do with the new navigation rules. It is very exciting. The Dakar is all about navigation. The race will be a lot closer because the KTMs can no longer run markedly faster than the others. When I race the goal is always the same: to win.”

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #35
johnBOYhenson
rallye intern

Oddometer: 205
i was in the crowd last year, at the start, listing to all the sounds of the cars, bikes and quads coming down off the ramp in the plaza d'italie (sp?) and i can almost hear and smell that place now. after watching the start i went out on the road in a rental care and tried to spectate the event, not an easy thing to do at all! but it was great being out in the Argentine desert, on the assistance route, following all the assistance vehicles and stopping to see the bikes pop out of the brush in some random road side place......

it's going to be great this year! wish i was there again, but being here will be just as good.

many thanks to all of you who will make this a kick ass thread!

jbh
johnBOYhenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #36
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Hello Brimstone Looks like its just Nate, you, johnny boy and I here...everyone else are probably getting in some sleep ahead of the rally.

Please can you x-post all iphone app stuff here, I dont have a fancy iphone, neither am I up to any new apps right now.

Hmmm your post gives me food for thought. You know...I think this year can really be Jonah's year. He made mincemeat of the big guys on a couple of those 2009 stages.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #37
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,462

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #38
johnBOYhenson
rallye intern

Oddometer: 205
re jonah..

i have to wonder what the significance of the the race in south carolina had? (it was the sandblast rally in early february, i don't think he won it, but i'm not sure?)
johnBOYhenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #39
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Hello Brimstone Looks like its just Nate, you, johnny boy and I here...everyone else are probably getting in some sleep ahead of the rally.
Hey hey! I don't, as a rule, sleep. I'm a night owl and an insomniac and I'm on holidays until Jan 4th, so yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Please can you x-post all iphone app stuff here, I dont have a fancy iphone, neither am I up to any new apps right now.
Definitely! I actually grabbed it while I was in Arizona as it wasn't on the Canadian app store! Looks like all the content is working up here though!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #40
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Any of you computer guys have a good source for F5 keys when this thing is done?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #41
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Sounds like Annie Seel had a few minor issues getting her bike started at the port:

Google Translation:

Delta Dock Port

This morning I had the lift truck with the Dutch team FINSTRA out to the harbor, however, participate in order to retrieve the bike. The port is a 10 miles away so it was lucky I could go with them. Worst rush to retrieve was yesterday, so today was the calm to collect the paper, etc. in customs.

It jumped up and died instantly. I tried lots of times until the battery ran out. Something fishy with the carburetor of the flooded all the time. Knocked to the float were to adopt the right if it had hanged himself. Eventually, I ask the parson port area to help me kick, for it is my recently injured högerknä who suffered as I tried to start the bike. After about 1 hour, I started the bike so it was driveable.

Original post here: http://anniedakar.wordpress.com/2010...lta-dock-port/

Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #42
TimFinnegan
Rally addicted

Oddometer: 115
Great shots! Thanks a lot!
TimFinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #43
MacMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Thanks Remi. A new job may see me a little scarce in the day so feel free to update as you wish. If I've missed anyone/anything that should be in the opener, just let me know and I;ll get it updated as fast as I can.
Hi Doyle.

The GHR Honda site and blog can be found at:

http://ghrhonda.dirtbike.com.au/
http://ghrhonda.dirtbike.com.au/blog

Would be great if you change the opener to include the URLs.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #44
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Another one to maybe watch: Wouter Van Der Beek -120 (Pays-bas Aprilia Flevodakarteam) From Holland, competed in 2010 (not sure if he finished?)
Wouter (nr 120) finished Dakar in a tin box last year, did very well with an old Kia. Came in top 40 if memory serves me well.

He thought a real challenge would be to go on a bike, prepped himself this year by doing Berslau and Alentejo rallyes, we expect a lot of him even though he is not a 'regular' (ex enduro/mx-er) biker. Very level headed and when the going gets tough, he just gets going harder :)

Riding in the Giofil team together with Erik Koffman (nr 129 and air traffic controller! by trade!) who moved from street to dirt 2 years ago. Erik planned Dakar for 2012 but after speaking with Wouter they deceided that this would be the year!! Eriks bike is the one above.

Brave men!!

Factory boys doing it simngle sided;

tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:45 AM   #45
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Peter Merceij (bowler) already got lost on their way back from the port to the hotel.

With the help of the local police (going through red lights and 4 wheel drifting in down town BA) they made it to their hotel

Quote:
@2dakar

@jony2192 OK, talked to the driver of #393 today. The other one was #387, a Desert Warrior. Thanks for guiding - on behalf of them ;-)
And then the coppers even brag about it via Twitter :)

LOL!

+1 for Twitter on Dakar
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote