Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #91
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
The Official Dakar Facebook Group has posted a gallery of Day 1 photos at La Rural:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...04027932989856

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #92
casiopea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Despres and Coma training before Dakar

http://weblogs.clarin.com/desafiodak...para_el_dakar/

for what I spoke to people near them, the hole thing about keeping distance was completely real.

yahoo translation (there are some mistakes in the original text)

Two hundred meters of a dusty street in a quarry in the outskirts of Ezeiza, the province of Buenos Aires. That was the distance, real physics and, that this morning between the present champion in motorcycles of the Dakar, the French Cyril Despres, and the winner of the competition in 2009 was, the Spanish Marc Coma. Nevertheless, that proximity seemed something as well as the one in fact that exists between the Quiaca and Tierra Del Fuego. It is that the sport present and the high rivalry between both - it is worth to remember, both they are pilots of Red Bull and they run with KTM, but they do now it under different sport structures caused that they were not crossed, that were not greetings before the cameras, and that they avoided to speak on chances of the neighboring circumstantial today. Thus, in that context, two of the great present names of the most difficult rally of the world tested their last before the released one of Saturday.

It was necessary to arrive until the quarry the Victory, in Ezeiza, to see in action these two great of the motociclismo off-road that comes in the last distributing to the maximum glory and the subchampionships years from the Dakar: Despres was champion in the last edition and 2007 and 2005. Comma remained it in 2009, in the first time in Latin America, and 2006. There, the equipment Red Bull KTM - that it has as main pilots to the French and the Portuguese Rubén Faría- and KTM MRW Factory Rally - with Comma and also the Spanish Juan Pedrero Garci'a struck their small camps to realise the last completion. The scene was ideal: hard heat, a dry day and zones of much dust, a species of advance than will come, mainly, in the Argentine stages.
“For a month that I do not rise the motorcycle. We had proven it in November in Europe, but logically, under an enormous cold. Here the things are different”, counted Despres to Clarín.com after lowering of the motorcycle, after to complete one of the first past ones. While the mechanics made adjustments to their flaming KTM 450 - the new regulation of the Dakar forced to leave the most powerful motors of 690cc-, the effective champion did not doubt in describing to the next rally like “it last more” of which they became in America. “We waited for a complicated Dakar, but I have a pure motorcycle of desert, stable, and a great equipment with years of experience. We trust walking very well”, added the French, who told that he will receive the new year next to its equipment put in a room of the hotel where they lodge, separated from the noise of the restaurants and the cameras. “We are here for competing. Our equipment has people of seven nationalities and is a good moment to strengthen the bond, to concentrate to us and to start yet”, affirmed.
In spite of being the champion, Despres will not take number 1 in its motorcycle and the number, but the 2, that one that, indeed, used whenever it was devoted in a Dakar. “I asked it the organization and they gave it to me”, assured the French. The same question, done to Comma, did not find an answer very ample: “They ask to him Cyril, they are things of him”, it cut to express the Catalan in his small one to bunker of training, and added that this race is not a “revenge” in 2011, after the evil result (8º) and the controversy of 2010, when it was penalized with 22 minutes to receive - according to the organization attendance prohibited during a special stage.
Thinking then about a page return, Comma affirmed: “It will be a very hard Dakar technically, but more abierto with the new regulation in motors and navigation (NdR: waypoints visible to only 800 meters and not to three kilometers like before). And for the motorcycles it is most difficult: we leave first and there is no track in the way”, assured. For that reason, its mind is put in seeing stage by stage. “It is necessary to surpass the day to day, would be an error to think or to think on the yield and the possibilities of other pilots”, answered on chances of Despres and the Chilean Francisco “Vest” Lopez, who with Aprillia promises to give fight to the KTM, in a race that promises to be thorough in the end and, perhaps, until with some spark.

casiopea screwed with this post 12-30-2010 at 04:17 PM
casiopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #93
oossie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmitty View Post
I won't have any show episodes up until I return to the states after the 5th, because of a huge computer error I made. Huge learning curve for me!

Enjoy,
Moooooooore pics Smitty more pics!
Keep them commin

owner of tha beast KTM 660 Rally
oossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #94
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,349
Very interesting translation

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #95
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmitty View Post
In the mean time, I know you guys are chomping at the bit for "anything" Dakar.
Awesome! Let me know if I can help with hosting photos.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #96
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,316
Here we go again, sorry there aren't any Canadians to follow this year, I'll have to make do with Jonah, Jenny and José Garcia and their T's.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #97
Deco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Anybody come up with a cool Jonah avatar for this year's Riff Raff?

Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #98
casiopea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Some pics from La Rural

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed. There wasn´t much too see, vehicles were passing from checking to park ferme, and that was it.
And it was too hot and my husband felt too lousy to stay more time, so this is what I could get

and a bonus track from my own factory

casiopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #99
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Here we go again, sorry there aren't any Canadians to follow this year, I'll have to make do with Jonah, Jenny and José Garcia and their T's.
Hello Mike

Maybe you can Support the two South Africans as as well then:

Albert Hintenaus - 159
Iain Stevenson - 102
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #100
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Roadbook School!

via: http://thedakar.blogspot.com/2010/12....html?spref=tw

Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #101
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by casiopea View Post

125 SANCHEZ HUGO MARCELO ARGENTINE KAWASAKI TEAM PALAU RPM KAWASAKI

132 MORENO LUCAS GUSTAVO ARGENTINE KAWASAKI TEAM PALAU RPM KAWASAKI

GOOD JOB, thanks for the KAWASAKI pics

missing pic
161 DEMELCHORI DIEGO ARGENTINE KAWASAKI RPM KAWASAKI

Myway screwed with this post 12-30-2010 at 05:04 PM
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #102
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Official Dakar.com site is now showing rider quotes:

via: http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2011/us/p...uotes-all.html

Frans Verhoeven: “Ready to attack!”

“A lot has changed since last year. Today, this team is officially supported by BMW. I’ve developed and tested the bike throughout the year. We have arrived with a superb team and talented riders. We’re ready for the race now, ready to attack. We are going to fight to reach the highest step on the podium and we’ll see how it turns out. During the Rally of Morocco, the bike showed that it was competitive, at least as much as the KTMs of Coma and Despres. As regards the team orders, we’ll see about that depending on our positions. We have three very quick riders: Goncalves, Ze Helio and myself. Pedro Bianchi Prata will be our water carrier. Any team racing orders will depend on how the rally develops”.

Quinn Cody: “I don’t know where I stand”

“I’ve been working on this project for several years. It’s quite amazing just to be here. The atmosphere in town is unreal. You’d never see such enthusiasm in the USA. Wherever you go, the only word on everyone’s lips is the Dakar. I’m feeling totally great – we had a great year with victory in the Baja 1000. It couldn’t have turned out better. I’ve received a lot of support from Americans who’ve taken part in the Dakar in the past. Johnny Campbell (8th in the Dakar in 2001) is here with me and is my team boss in the USA. Chris Blais has also helped me a lot, just like Jimmy Lewis. Now it’s up to me to do my best. I don’t really know where I stand in relation to the competition. I’ve never raced against these guys. I don’t know how I’m going to handle using the Road Book, but in any case, I’m going to give it my all”.

Pal-Anders Ulevalseter: "On the podium again"

“I hope to be on the podium again. I can’t wait to get stuck in. In any event, I’m on top form and I’m going to try and enjoy myself. For the moment, I don’t want to talk about the title. I just want to do my job and concentrate on each bend. Anything can happen on this type of race. The 450cc is fantastic. It’s a much easier bike to ride. You can brake later and accelerate earlier, even if the top speed isn’t the same. For me it’s perfect, since normally during the first winding steps in the mountains, I’m too slow. I hope that the bike is going to help me”.

Christina Meier: “It’s holiday time!”

“It’s a super bike. David (Casteu) showed last year that he could win stages with this machine. As far as I’m concerned” it should help me to simply finish the rally. Before, I raced on a Yamaha 450cc, so it’s the same engine power. This time it’s an ignition model, whereas before it had a carburettor, which should make it simpler for the high altitude stages. What’s more, it’s easier to handle and light thanks to the carbon. I’m delighted to be covering all this distance on the Dakar on this bike. I haven’t had too many opportunities to try out the 450cc model. I went to Southern France to test it once, but since I live in Northern Germany, it’s not simple. That said, I have managed to get some endurance races on a Sherco 300cc under my belt. I’ll just have to get used to the bike during the rally. But after a year of work, on the Dakar it’s holiday time!”

Old 12-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #103
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Another interview posted via the Dakar Rally iphone app:

An American star...

While never celebrating a Dakar victory, the United States has often done well in the motorcycle category on the world’s most prestigious rally-raid. There was Danny Laporte who finished runner-up to Stéphane Peterhansel in 1992. Then in 2003 Jimmy Lewis finished 3rd, winning three stages along the way. Other than Jonah Street, the man who could bring success to the stars and stripes is Quinn Cody, a newcomer who comes to the Dakar with some lofty ambitions. “The Dakar has been a goal for the past several years. It is THE ultimate challenge in terms of off-road racing. I‘ve watched the race for a very long time. I’ve been working on this project for the past two years. My goal is a top ten result but it would be fantastic to finish in the top five.” Above and beyond his determination, this California native has made a name for himself in American Baja racing and most notably on the prestigious Baja 1000, which he has won three times (2006, 2009 and 2010). Yet, the Honda rider knows that the Dakar must be taken on with humility and that more than anything else, he will have to demonstrate his capacity to adapt. “I know that I will have to be smart as well as patient during the first week. Back home in the United States, we go flat out from start to finish. I am physically ready and I have just finished a training session with Jimmy Lewis. The biggest difficulty will be navigation. I must be successful in remaining focused while riding. The other problem is that I will only get to learn about my Honda, which was prepared in Europe, when I arrive in Buenos Aires.” Quinn Cody’s Dakar will be full of new discoveries.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #104
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

http://coberturadakar.blogspot.com/
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #105
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.mxzone.com.ar/site/index....LTIMA-DETALLES