Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #151
jimbee OP
Airhead Intermediate

Oddometer: 334
So Shail has looked at the pile of parts. Still so smoking gun.

His thoughts:

- the valve guides show some wear, but not enough to worry about and not enough to be the cause of the significant oil consumption

- he still suspects that the wear on the cylinders is the problem (good compression numbers aside) and has suggested that I take them to a local machine shop that specializes in refinishing and replating nikasil cylinders - http://www.mongoosemachine.com/ , and see what they think

- he didn't think much of my spare set of cylinders and pistons, but I couldn't really get him to explain in words that I understood why? Going to send them to Mongoose too.

We'll see what they say. Wonder if I could find a new set of jugs for a reasonble price somewhere and just be done with it? Guess I would need new pistons too?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #152
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,647
I've never heard of this being done for BMW's but why not just send the cylinders off and have them fixed with another coat of nicasil?? They do it to two-strokes all the time, why would BMW cylinders be any different??? Why shouldn't this be done???
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #153
jimbee OP
Airhead Intermediate

So far so good!

So another year has passed. Always appreciative of all the help, so here is a little update and some photos for those that like that sort of thing.

With no smoking gun, I decided to throw the kitchen sink at the losing oil problem and during last autumn and into the winter I ended up having the cylinders honed, sent the heads to Ted Porter for a complete r+r, reassambled with new rings, and broke in as per Ted's instructions. While apart, threw in a new clutch and with Rick Jones's gractious help sorted out challenging intermittant charing issue (new rotor solved problem).

After 500 miles, there was no missing oil - not even a drip. So everything seemed to be back in order, and so it was time for an adventure! I am VERY happy to report back that I have just returned from a 6,000 mile (including +1,200 miles of gravel and dirt), one month adventure from Vancouver to Inuvik then back on the MV Columbia with many side adventures and stories. The bike did great and I was very happy to be heading back south along the beautiful Dempster Highway as the odometre rolled over 70,000 miles (I got her at 50K).

Only burned 2/3 of litre of oil in 6,000 miles, so feels like eveything inside is working great!

Other than that:

- steering bearings are now shot - this set has lasted 18,000 miles, so I guess that isn't bad. Cycleworks tool on order

- fork seals are leaking - they made it 6,000 miles which seems low, but lots of dirt miles

- older ohlins shock is blown again - this is the third time in 20,000 miles so may need to look at something different

All in all, expected wear and tear and very happy that the bike did so well! In fact, with the HPN inserts, it handled the dirt so well I'm not sure I really need to keep the DR650 around anymore, except for when this one is down for maintenance.

So it has certainly taken much love and money and patience, but together we have now been as far North as we can go in Canada in the summer, and as far south as central Guatemala, in no small part thanks to everyone's help on ADV.

As a very small thanks, here are some pictures from the last month up north:

camping above the salmon glacier

exploring north of salmon glacier with ridding buds

selfie

dempster highway

rolling over 70,000 on the odo

top of the world

kluane lake and mountains

exploring off the haines road

Thanks again for everyones help and support!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #154
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 473
Good on Yah!

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #155
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,122
Great pictures, looks like a fun trip !

Thanks for the update, glad your bike is sorted.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #156
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 978
I love how this thread is a mix between the bike being torn apart with multiple half-known problems to being ridden all over the place :)
Old 08-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #157
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Great news

James

I'm very happy for you mate.

Looks like a great trip.

Nice photos too.

Ride safe

Paul
Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 AM   #158
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Looks like a great trip.

Your cylinder work seems to have worked well , so a couple of questions -

do you know what process was followed when the bores were honed, and what was Ted's instructions on breaking in the rings?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #159
jimbee OP
Airhead Intermediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
Your cylinder work seems to have worked well , so a couple of questions -

do you know what process was followed when the bores were honed, and what was Ted's instructions on breaking in the rings?
Not sure of the specifics of the honing. It was done by a machine shop that specializes in recoating nikisil in cylinders and they used whatever nikisil hone they use.

As for Ted's break-in instructions, pretty straightforward and along the lines of what most everyone here advocates:

- break in with 10W40 mineral oil
- heat cycle for 1 minute at 4,000 rpm on stand, let cool, and retorque heads
- first 600 miles avoid excessive idle, don't baby, don't lug, just go, but keep rpm below 4,500
- at 600 miles oil and filter change moving back up to 20W50, retorque heads

jimbee screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 01:26 PM
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #160
jimbee OP
Airhead Intermediate

a few more pics

Glad you all like the pics. Certainly was a special trip. Beyond the riding and beauty, I think the people, history, music, general northern culture, comradarie, and fact that everyone knows everyone up north are what make it such a great place to explore. After a few weeks, I started to run into people I had met in one part of the north getting round and about elsewhere up there and almost felt part of it. Accordinly, here are some non riding/road photos highlighting some other aspects of the trip:

Poking around what is left of the SS Tutshi in Carcross - my Dad worked on this boat when he was 15

Getting light out at our campfire afterparty at Atlin Arts and Music Fest

Placer gold mining with friends

Steamship Graveyard on Yukon River

Dredge #4 outside Dawson

lunchtime solarium potluck on MV Columbia

jimbee screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 01:27 PM
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #161
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesean View Post
I love how this thread is a mix between the bike being torn apart with multiple half-known problems to being ridden all over the place :)
+1 to this, it's been a heckuva thread, from the start, which Ive read at 2 different times now, to the ending which I've just seen, I'd say metaljockey on it!