Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Maggot12 OP
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,078
Master bedroom over garage=cold floor??? Looking for remedy.

So my 10x20 garage in under our master bedroom. The garage is insulated and completely finished with drywall and painted. The only exterior exposure is the 8ft garage door and about 4ft of one side, both insulated. The rest of the garage is surrounded by the house.

Bedroom above has hardwood floors and is cool to walk on. Temp never gets below 5c in the garage no matter how cold it is outside.

Searching and found some using reflectex and stapled on the ceiling, or slats with insulation between and drywall over that, 4x8x1in insulation sheets with the shinning side down, carpet the bedroom floor....

Thoughts and/or recommendations. Thanks.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Area Rug

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,989
Heat the garage. It's a win win.
Or fuzzy slippers?
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,952
I built a frame master bathroom above the old 2-car block garage, bats of insulation in the garage ceiling and don't forget to shut your garage door when it's cold.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,474
No expert here but guess you have forced air heat of some kind. That would make it hard to warm hard wood floors no mater what. Radiant heat on the other hand they should be warm. IMHO
Old 11-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Maggot12 OP
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
I built a frame master bathroom above the old 2-car block garage, bats of insulation in the garage ceiling and don't forget to shut your garage door when it's cold.
The garage ceiling is already insulated, drywalled, finished and painted. And yes the door is closed.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 889
Has anyone seen an radiant area rug? Just wondering.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Maggot12 OP
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser View Post
Heat the garage. It's a win win.
Or fuzzy slippers?
Fuzzy slippers for the wife... me not so much. The garage currently doesn't have heat, unless I plan to be out there and I'll run a small ceramic heater for an hr or so beforehand.

I was planning on a checkerboard effect porcelain tile installation over the winter, maybe I should add an electric infloor heating mat under the tile. Hmmmmmmm.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Maggot12 OP
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
Has anyone seen an radiant area rug? Just wondering.
Can place this heated mat under the rug...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-INFRARED-...6107d66&_uhb=1

Old 11-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
phillyrube
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Fuzzy slippers for the wife... me not so much. The garage currently doesn't have heat, unless I plan to be out there and I'll run a small ceramic heater for an hr or so beforehand.
We run a small ceramic heater in our garage next to the kitchen. Definite difference in the kitchen temps.
phillyrube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,158
How much $$ do you want to drop in it?

Cheap-not so cheap options

1 Area rug.
2 Thermostat controlled heater in garage for a few months a year.
3 Carpet & Padding upstairs.

I know in colder climates there is a heated layer available for under ceramic/tile floors. I don't know if it's compatible with carpet or wood.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
The garage ceiling is already insulated, drywalled, finished and painted. And yes the door is closed.
If you used fiberglass insulation, it does not stop air movement (most insulation allows air movement) that is degrading the insulation value. Does the house extend over the garage door? If so, I'd bet you are getting air in through the soffit (remove soffit, seal-off bottom of floor joist areas with foam board cut loosely to fit, seal gaps with foam-in-a-can; also do inside edge of band joist first since it is now exposed). If the bedroom and garage walls are in the same planes, then you are getting cold outside air around the band joist surrounding the floor joists (remove vinyl siding covering band joist area and apply house wrap) or some other leakage area - maybe that 4' long side area (look for/foam-up any gaps/cracks).

FWIW I don't like any of the Reflectix type "aluminum foil on bubble wrap" stuff unless you are talking about attic deck installs in extremely high solar gain locations to reduce heat gain. Anything else is just false advertising - check the testing and reviews. Go to http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/ for best industry practices on air sealing and insulating.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
No expert here but guess you have forced air heat of some kind. That would make it hard to warm hard wood floors no mater what. Radiant heat on the other hand they should be warm. IMHO
+1

I grew up in a house with softwood flooring in every room, no garage, insulated, gas furnace. The floors were always cold to walk on barefooted; great in the summer, not so good in the winter.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyrube View Post
We run a small ceramic heater in our garage next to the kitchen. Definite difference in the kitchen temps.
The passage door between the garage and kitchen should be an exterior-rated door with proper weatherstripping and insulation value; the garage wall should be insulated and air sealed just like the rest of the exterior walls. Heating the garage to keep the kitchen warm is a huge expense (unless you were going to heat the garage anyway). Nothing beats proper air sealing and insulation to keep the conditioned spaces conditioned and the rest of the world out.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Maggot12 OP
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
If you used fiberglass insulation, it does not stop air movement (most insulation allows air movement) that is degrading the insulation value. Does the house extend over the garage door? If so, I'd bet you are getting air in through the soffit (remove soffit, seal-off bottom of floor joist areas with foam board cut loosely to fit, seal gaps with foam-in-a-can; also do inside edge of band joist first since it is now exposed). If the bedroom and garage walls are in the same planes, then you are getting cold outside air around the band joist surrounding the floor joists (remove vinyl siding covering band joist area and apply house wrap) or some other leakage area - maybe that 4' long side area (look for/foam-up any gaps/cracks)..
You may be on to something... the exterior bedroom wall is 5-6 back from the garage door. Over the garage there is a shingled roof, that runs just over the door to the base of the bedroom window. After reading your post ( the garage was finished when I bought the home), I believe the cold air could be coming thru that roof and between the ceiling and floor...

If this is correct, heating the garage, or putting more insulation on the garage ceiling won't matter. I have to stop the air from getting between those areas. The house is about 10 yrs old and has a natural gas furnace.