ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
Visian OP
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,652
Adventure RAid... laying waste to the southeast, again.

Click here to download the Event Sheet.

Ride the Adventure RAid to the BMW RA Rally at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL

Riders on all brands of bike and all skill levels welcome.

Key dates:
  • Meetup for Gypsy Tours - May 26 (2 locations so far)
  • Overnight at Two Wheels of Suches - May 27
  • Arrive at BMW RA Rally - May 28
  • Rally dates - May 29, 30 & 31 - Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, AL

Join your fellow riders on a week-long adventure ride through some of the best trails in the country. It all starts as Memorial Day weekend ends, with riders meeting up in a variety of great locations across the southeast for a 2-day GS Gypsy Tour ride to the rally at Barber Motorsports Park. GS Gypsy Tours meet up on Monday, May 26 and arrive at the Rally on Wedneday, May 28.

The GS Gypsy Tour

These are ride/camp routes to the rally along some great locals-only roads. Right now, two rides are planned:
  • Start at Cherohala Mountain Trails
  • Start at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground
  • Any interest for a ride up from Flatistan or points west?

At Barber Motorsports Park

At the park, there will be not one but two premium riding areas onsite, featuring challenges for all levels of riding skill. We're talking slopes, ruts, rocks, single- and two-track riding.

This is an excellent opportunity to practice, learn and improve your off-road abilities! Add to that a women-only riding event, a choice of easy and hard day rides, and of course an adventure track competition. Much more information coming soon!

You can register for the event here, it's free... part of your rally admission fee. Be sure to check the Adventure RAid box as you register.

Visian screwed with this post 05-22-2014 at 06:55 AM
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
JessieRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Gypsy Tour

What kind of roads will the Gypsy Tour be taking? Forest service roads? Or more like single track? Is it for experienced off-roaders only? Or can beginners handle it?

~Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away~
JessieRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieRat View Post
What kind of roads will the Gypsy Tour be taking? Forest service roads? Or more like single track? Is it for experienced off-roaders only? Or can beginners handle it?
For the Gypsy Tour, all Forest Service roads. I've linked in a map below to whet your appetite.

There will be a day ride to a nearby OHV area, where you can choose your poison: easy or challenging.

Onsite at the rally, there will two areas for riding:

One is a 2-track trail, where we will hold a little time/speed/distance ride with some "special tests" that you can choose to avoid if you want.

The second is a large area featuring slopes, ruts, roots, and.... for smaller bikes only... about 3+ miles of single track. If anyone is familiar with the Vintage event at Barber, this is where they run the cross-country race.

Here's the second day of the Gypsy Tour, which takes you from Two Wheels of Suches to the Barber Motorsports Park. It's 365 miles long.... an all-day sucker! (Note, plenty of bail out opportunities).

Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Working on it

We have the early signs of life Trying to put together a group coming from Flatistan. Just got back from the Perry Mountain DS and Alabama sure does have some very nice potential.

Have no idea of where we are or where we are going, but we will be making good time Any tracks coming from the South???

Cheers
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #5
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosrider View Post
Have no idea of where we are or where we are going, but we will be making good time Any tracks coming from the South???
Hey Rich, glad to hear you're thinking of coming.

A few years back I mapped out a ride taken by an inmate, Treeman23. It was a long ride, so I broke it into 3 parts.

This was an Adventure Detour for riders heading to The GS Giant in Missouri, 2012.

Here's the first part..... this may go a tad farther to the west than desired, I am working with some of my Alabeemer friends to explore other options.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
Visian OP
Look out!

Here's the second part....

This gets you to a bit west of Birmingham... I may modify part of this route so that is ends at Barber Motorsports.

But that area of Alabama west of Montgomery gets you way out in the sticks.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
Visian OP
Look out!

Two-track Time/Speed/Distance Enduro

One of the things we'll be doing in the event is riding a large loop of 2-track trail that Barber Motorsports uses to show off the Porsche Cayenne.

There are also ample opportunities to detour off this two-track for some special tests....

We'll lay out the course so that you have to manage your speed, like an enduro. We'll keep it simple so that you can use your watch, phone, or GPS.

Not sure how long this will go, but we do want to tucker you out a bit.

Anyone here interested in helping me plan this and do scorekeeping during the ride?

Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
Kyle B
"Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer: 719
Wish I could be there!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Kyle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Gypsies on Tour from the South

We have a band of misfits headed to the Rally from the North Florida area leaving early Tuesday morning. We intend to spend 2 days working our way mostly in the direction of Barber. We will hunting for dirt along the way. Our planned route maybe underwater in the Florida area (at least it is right now) but we are hopeful it dries out by then.

Let us know if you want to intercept us on the way.

The plan is to land at a State Park and camp at night, although a sudden weakness for a hotel room is always a possibility
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #10
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosrider View Post
The plan is to land at a State Park and camp at night, although a sudden weakness for a hotel room is always a possibility
Glad to hear you're coming. If you do camp, some Alabeemer friends recently went on a scouting trip to BamaJam Farms.

They said the camping was good and the riding was excellent.

This puts you in good position to ride Alabama's Skyline Drive.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #11
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,334
A friend and I are planning on heading down for the event from western Canada. The Gypsy Tour marked "Byrd's" is the only one coming from the proper direction for us. I assume the since there question marks after it that it's not a for sure. Any details are appreciated.

Cory

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:37 AM   #12
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel ADV View Post
A friend and I are planning on heading down for the event from western Canada. The Gypsy Tour marked "Byrd's" is the only one coming from the proper direction for us. I assume the since there question marks after it that it's not a for sure. Any details are appreciated.

Cory
Hey Cory - glad to hear you're coming.

Byrd's Adventure Center is an interesting spot, the GS Giants held a huge party there a couple of years ago, and SLAP was there last year.

There's also a nice quiet spot just to the east of Byrd's, but I can't remember what it's called. If you're interested in this, I can find out for you.

The riding in this area is fantastic, but I am not really familiar with ADV riding east of there in the farmland of Arkansas, west TN or MS. So unless there was significant interest, I wasn't going to lay out a route. That doesn't mean you couldn't find a few for us, though...

Given that you're coming from western Canada, and what this Google Map shows, the ride starting out from the Cherohala Mountain Trails campground in Tellico Plains at the west end of the Cherohala is not far out of your way. This will be a phenomenal 2-day ride.

Let me know what you're interested in... really looking forward to meeting you!

Visian screwed with this post 05-13-2014 at 05:57 AM
Old 05-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
RadRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieRat View Post
I consider myself a noob dual sport rider too. Will I be able to handle the GS Gypsy Tour to the rally?
2013 Ural Patrol
RadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRider View Post
I consider myself a noob dual sport rider too. Will I be able to handle the GS Gypsy Tour to the rally?
The rides are a combo of forest service roads and some sweet paved twisties.

A great ride will be had by all.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #15
RadRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Since the rally gates will not open until Thursday morning, any good campground close to Barber for the ADVRAID riders arriving Wednesday ?
2013 Ural Patrol
RadRider is offline   Reply With Quote