User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
Dynasty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Cruiser That Fits My Wish List?

I never imagined the thread I made titled, "The Truth About Japanese Cruisers" would grow to be as big as it is - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009118

I have read through the posts and am considering a metric cruiser even more so, given that they are much cheaper than the motorcycles Harley Davidson produces. I have created a sort of "wish list" and I'm trying to see if some of the metric cruisers check off all the boxes. If not, something that is at least close to it.

Is there a used Japanese cruiser out there that...

- is known for reliability and longevity (has no or a few bugs that are easily fixable)
- is fuel injected (given the option - I choose FI every time)
- has a tachometer (not 100% necessary, but would be nice to have)
- has an easy clutch pull (is a hydraulic clutch the answer?)
- is belt or shaft driven (long service intervals and reliability preferred without robbing too much power)
- has dual front brakes (not 100% necessary, but would be nice to have)
- easy DIY maintenance...something that needs tires, oil, and gas haha (easy oil & oil filter changes is key)
- has tubeless tires (will not get flats easily)
- has spokeless wheels (although I like the look, I've read spoked wheels will cause more headaches with coming loose and such - is this confirmed?)
- has detachable bags and windscreen (having the option to remove these two items for around town rides preferred, but not 100% necessary)

Kind of a long list, I know.

I'm going to continue to search old threads to see if there is an obvious choice available, but in the mean time if you feel like posting your suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

Dynasty screwed with this post 04-21-2015 at 05:49 AM
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:58 AM   #2
Tim_Tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Suzuki Boulevard M109 ticks all those options except the standard removable bags and windscreen. That's easily fixed with aftermarket parts.

Another good option is the V Star 1300 Tourer. This has all the boxes ticked. Don't know how easy it is to remove the bags and screen though.

Go to a dealer and check them out for yourself!
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
The easily detachable windshield and bags is easy to add to almost any bike, I added a Memphis Shades windshield and some Saddlemen bags using Easy Brackets to my Yamaha Warrior. The bags come off with a key, the windshield with 4 allen bolts.

http://www.easybrackets.com/
http://www.saddlemen.com/saddlebag-p...s-bags-luggage
http://www.memphisshades.com/

Warrior might fit your needs BTW, has all the things you want.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
TheHeretic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Mid size - Vulcan 900 classic (I have one) or 950 Star

1300 V Star is awesome bike....not many used though.

Quite a few 900 Vulcans around for reasonable prices. Very reliable and lots of aftermarket parts available. Mine is an 06 and I've had it since 2009. I still really like it and won't be parting with it soon. Oil changers are a breeze.
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
jagred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I have a V Star 1300 Tourer that checks most of your boxes.

GREAT bike! It is the first cruiser I've owned. One thing I like that is not on your list…with the Cobra Pro HP 2 into 1 exhaust, it sounds really nice.
jagred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
EffinNewGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Pretty certain almost every V-Star, Road Star (09+ have FI, I think), Stratoliner meets your requirements. Just pick your displacement preferences and go.
EffinNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
TheHeretic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffinNewGuy View Post
Pretty certain almost every V-Star, Road Star (09+ have FI, I think), Stratoliner meets your requirements. Just pick your displacement preferences and go.
09 V Star 1100 is still carbureted. All others are fuel injected I believe.
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
EffinNewGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post
09 V Star 1100 is still carbureted. All others are fuel injected I believe.
I stand corrected. The Star line should pretty much have you covered. Also, I hear pretty good things about the Kawasaki and Suzuki lines.
EffinNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Yamaha Stratoliner.....owned a 2009 which ran great.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Look at a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500 or 1600, everything but the quick detach bags, or a yamaha royal star tour deluxe, from 2005 - 2009, or a road king.
Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #11
Nemosengineer
Hair Ball

Oddometer: 928
Yamaha XVZ 1300, V-Max in drag, bomb proof.

: Mike
Old 04-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
I think a Vulcan 900 custom would be the best bet- it is not as big and has cast wheels and is fuel injected ..I myself was looking at cruisers recently and was gonna get either a Vulcan 800 or the volusia 800 but ended up getting an 04 R6 sportbike instead... happy hunting!!
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:36 AM   #13
kltk1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Doesn't EXACTLY fit your bill for a metric cruiser, but, you might want to look at a used Victory Kingpin Tour model. The bags aren't quick disconnect, but, they do come off. I had a 2005 Victory Kingpin Deluxe that I put 53,000 trouble free miles on. The deluxe models have the saddlebags but no tour trunk. The 2007+ tour models have the trunk. I'm on my third Victory at this point. They're belt drive and solid as rocks. Aftermarket support has come around and there are a lot of accessories for them. If you're looking for something you simply put gas in, change the oil and ride you really can't go wrong with a Victory.

Not sure what your budget or riding style is but, if you have a few extra bucks, look up a used 2010+ Victory Cross Roads. There's a lot more accessories available for the Cross Roads/Country series.
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #14
Androu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
You might consider the Triumph Thunderbird (not Japanese, but technically metric) I just got a great deal on a 2014 and love it. Tons of torque, handles great (way better than I thought a cruiser could) looks very cool, and is just different enough from the usual v-twin cruiser to be interesting. You can pretty easily trick it out with whatever windscreen, luggage, etc. you might want to meet your needs/wants.
Androu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 8,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androu View Post
You might consider the Triumph Thunderbird (not Japanese, but technically metric) I just got a great deal on a 2014 and love it. Tons of torque, handles great (way better than I thought a cruiser could) looks very cool, and is just different enough from the usual v-twin cruiser to be interesting. You can pretty easily trick it out with whatever windscreen, luggage, etc. you might want to meet your needs/wants.
Damn skippy! Excellent suggestion, Androu, way to color outside the lines there.