Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #1486
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The seat is HD... The pipes are V&H. The Springer is Pacho...

$21k and change invested in it. It is what he wanted. He is happy. Paid cash and would not even look at the bike until it was completely done.
That really isn't as much as I expected. Nice!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #1487
Vial Style
PRO ANTI

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
Correction! I'd say NASTY, and I mean that in the best possible way!!!

What did she start as? Did you do all the work yourself? That looks GREAT.

Thanks man.
It's a 2006 1200R that I bought new.
I'm the only one that has ever wrenched or rode that bike...
Vial Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #1488
ROK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Just spooned some new rubber on my Sportster a week ago. Got rid of the dungflops.

Went with some Shinko 777's from MotorcycleSuperstore. Tires came fast!

Scrubbed them in for the first 100 miles riding up Mt. Lemmon here in Tucson. I could not believe how the bike handled! Felt like a totally different machine, as in nimble and much more confidence inspiring. With the D's I was always nagged by this strange feeling that they would cut loose on a hard (or not so hard) corner. Not so with the 777's.

The new shoes seem to not even need to be scrubbed in, they stick so well to the road.

I even stood the bike up in several sharp corners as if stopping in mid-corner and then laid the bike back over to carve through the rest of the curve.

Diggin these tires!

I'll track what kind of mileage I get out of them and post it here. They seem to be a fairly soft compound. And the price was just way to good to pass up. $136 for both tires, as in total price, before I bought some other things.

Bike: 1999 XL883C ,drag bars, forward controls, goofy butterfly-kerky-yak-in air intake (gonna change this thing out) short drags (Ibaffled them for now-they were way too loud). I picked it up for $2200 a year or so ago.

I am 6'3" with 37" sleeve length, solid 220 lbs, so the seating position is almost like sitting on a standard bike with mid-set pegs. I have fattened my seat up with 2" of foam to gain extra leg room. Just to test it out. I am going to have the seat redone and have it be pretty much flat all the way back, like an old standard or moto-crosser seat. I scoot back, at times, to change up my riding position and sit close to the back of the seat on longer rides.

I know some don't like the forwards, but it feels like the same position I am in when I am riding in a sports car. For the taller rider, forwards have the same knee bend as sitting on a tall dirt bike. Mids bend my knees almost as bad as a sport bike. Maybe an even thicker seat would help.

Plans:

Since I got it so cheap: Turn it into sort of a scrambler with tracker bars, longer rear shocks, hand-made custom exhaust, and a few other things, like possibly an 17 or 18 inch rear wheel, maybe go to mid controls when the seat is thicker (I may try 3" of foam) etc. I'll post pics when I get the project going. Thinking on a 1200 conversion in next year or so. Though I will see how this all goes, it may take a bit before I can really get started on it as my wife rode my bike once and now I had to get her her very own Sportster.
ROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #1489
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,535
Hmmmm.
I'm in the middle of a tire debacle myself. My 1 yr old avons have fucking dry rot! And I'm planning a 9 day >2kmi trip in 2 weeks.

Went back to the shop to see if thy can help me get a warranty something on them. New tires right now would eat more than half my travel budget. Fingers crossed.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #1490
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Hmmmm.
I'm in the middle of a tire debacle myself. My 1 yr old avons have fucking dry rot! And I'm planning a 9 day >2kmi trip in 2 weeks.

Went back to the shop to see if thy can help me get a warranty something on them. New tires right now would eat more than half my travel budget. Fingers crossed.
Check the 4 digit birthday on the tire to see when it was made.

The Shinkos are, to my knowledge, just the old Yokohama tread molds that were bought by Shinko and put to use.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #1491
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vial Style View Post
Thanks man.
It's a 2006 1200R that I bought new.
I'm the only one that has ever wrenched or rode that bike...
That is one of the most awesome Sportys have seen!!! Just PERFECT!!!

I want to do one like that.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #1492
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

The Shinkos are, to my knowledge, just the old Yokohama tread molds that were bought by Shinko and put to use.
Yeah, made last June - one year old.
Shitty.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #1493
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Hmmmm.

The guys on xlforum who want a stickier than dunlop but not as sporty and lasts longer than the avons praise the metzler me880's. I never got around to putting them on my own bike though...

That all said, after selling my sportster (1250, buell flywheels/cams 2:2 supertrap tracker pipes) to get into dual sport riding only to find my new job was demanding 60+hrs a week (private business owner) I realized I don't have time to dual sport, and wanted a more fun cruiser/commuter... I did not get another sporty (yet) I have the next best thing (or arguably better) Buell S3T, with the wide bags, original tool bag, faring bags and all the goodies for quite a bit less than I sold the sporty for. So in a way I own a sporty again...
Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #1494
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Hmmmm.

I had the same issue with a set of avons on my FXRS. First I've heard of anything like that with Avon tires. Sucks cause they've worked really well on my bikes..
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #1495
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,714
Quote:
Yeah, made last June - one year old.
Shitty.
Yeah, that's shitty for sure. They shouldn't have any trouble getting them warranteed, especially if they came through parts unlimited or Tucker/Rocky.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #1496
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

the big question is,

how different and crappy is the rubber compound
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #1497
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Still waiting to hear back.
Indie had to call his rep, who prolly has to call his distributor.
I think the only thing against me is the 7kmi on the tires,
probably won't get a replacement - but a prorated set.

I loved the tires, but if they're going to be pricks about this
I'm going to try out the ME880s for sure.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #1498
Witness
Me

Oddometer: 465
Sportster Meet Up

I had organized a Sportster meet up through the xlforum.net and it was held this past weekend.

Good turn out around 30 Sportys met at the Oxyoke Inn Galeton PA,

Had a great day of riding on Saturday

Ran into a little dirt

Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #1499
ROK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Nice pics! I used to live in Upstate NY, and would backpack in PA sometimes. some pretty country, for sure.

Got this:

"In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co...."

off the Shinko website here: http://www.shinkotireusa.com/about.php

So, the tire compound is probably Yokohama. Pretty cool video on that link, also, and the vid provides some further info on their tires.

Nothing bad to say about the tire yet. Working very well. Will see how long they last.
ROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #1500
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,111
Kawasaki windscreen on a sporty

Some of you ain't gonna like this, but I had a fun time fabricating the mounts. I still need to replace some hardware and paint the brackets. Works great... rock solid and amazing wind protection for what is basically a flyscreen. It's off a Versys. The ADV sticker was already on it.

photo05/6f/6c/707faf76d3c6.jfif
photo31/73/ab/9032d4d4e161.jfif

photo26/ee/c8/6fa43ba218e1.jfif

photo18/4a/40/2a9bffb5f32b.jfif

ag_streak screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 06:46 PM
ag_streak is online now   Reply With Quote