morning ride out

johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #1517
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post

Taken last night. Memphis Shades Del Rio windshield, mustang seat, throw-over bags, swapped the forewords for mids, swapped bars. Good enough for now. This winter I'll mess with it some more probably, going to just enjoy it until then.
Very nice (good riddance to the "bitch whips" on the levers).

Did you have to replace any cables or front brake hoses to change the bars? I have a 93 with the Godawful pull-backs, and want to go with 1200S bars, and wondering what I need to buy.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #1518
vacantstare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I don't know what's happening to me, but

I used to be one of those guys who said he'd never own a Harley.

Lately I've been doing a lot of reading about them, and I'm starting to fall in love with the Evo engine. Maybe the Guzzis got me liking the idea of air-cooled OHV V-twins. I just wish they didn't have that cruiser rake with the small diameter rear wheel and the rear suspension looking slammed. I guess I still prefer the 'stance' of a 'standard' like my Ambassador.
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #1519
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantstare View Post

Lately I've been doing a lot of reading about them, and I'm starting to fall in love with the Evo engine. Maybe the Guzzis got me liking the idea of air-cooled OHV V-twins. I just wish they didn't have that cruiser rake with the small diameter rear wheel and the rear suspension looking slammed. I guess I still prefer the 'stance' of a 'standard' like my Ambassador.
Protip: Spoked wheels come in a variety of diameters.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #1520
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
Very nice (good riddance to the "bitch whips" on the levers).

Did you have to replace any cables or front brake hoses to change the bars? I have a 93 with the Godawful pull-backs, and want to go with 1200S bars, and wondering what I need to buy.
I didn't change anything, but it wouldn't hurt to change them. They are a bit too long, I had to put an S bend in the brake line to take up some slack, and the clutch cable has a longer arc to them.

This winter I have to go over some stuff, I'm planning on new brake lines all around then. I can see the rubber swell when I pull the lever

You'll probably love the new bars, I know I do. It feels like a completely different bike. I used a set of stock bars for a 2001 XL883 that I had sitting in the garage. This bike is a 883C though, so it has the taller factor risers. Without the risers I think they would be a bit too low for my tastes. I try to always go to swap meets for the older stuff, it seems like there's always piles of handlebars for $5 or $10 each. I hate paying retail price on this stuff when it's so plentiful just piled in garages and boxes.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #1521
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,482
Quote:

The cruiser rake isn't really an issue on a Sportster IMO. They still are surprisingly nimble. I think the weight balance helps them, as they are lighter than most cruisers, and the narrow tires seem to let it turn in a lot easier.

The rear wheel diameter does hurt you with tire selection though, unless you buy a spoked wheel. I'd rather have an 18" rear but I'm not going to spend the money to do it. It does good enough for the way I ride it. Whenever I start pushing the bike it always feels like I'm doing something I shouldn't be doing, and I end up slowing the pace down and just enjoying the ride.

The motors are nice, they are reliable and very low maintenance. I did a full service yesterday, took about an hour. No valves to mess with, just change fluids, check primary chain adjustment, make sure the belt is still there, and you're done. The primary chain is supposed to be checked every 10,000 miles I think, but it honestly takes zero time to check, 2 minutes to adjust. Pull the cover to add the oil and the chain is right in front of you, one nut on the bottom adjusts it.

While I was in there I drained out the Harley dino oil and put amsoil in it, I'm kinda surprised but the claims seem to be true. There really is less valve train noise now. Full verdict won't come until after the second change, I'll start sending samples in to blackstone to see what's really going on inside. The old oil had about 3,000 or 4,000 miles on it, came out coal-black.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #1522
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:

18" rear, 19" front. It still needs a standard seat along the lines of the Bonneville but this is the way all Sportsters should leave the factory... IMO..
Old 06-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #1523
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:

Very funny.
My previous bike to my sportie was an Ambassador
that I ran for 3 or 4 years as my daily driver.

Eventually, I got tired of people wanted to talk with me everywhere I went;
and while I truly enjoy wrenching,
owning that bike - well, the experience put the focus on the bike,
and not the ride. After awhile, I wanted to put the focus back on the ride.
I maybe got 15,000 on my Ambassador in the time I owned it,
I did about that on my sportie last season.

That said, I loved my ambo.
Wouldn't have sold it if I could afford to have more than 1 valuable bike.
Anyhow, my bro and I have got 2 project loopframes we're working on,
so I don't have a huge whole in my heart.

Sportie is pretty guzzi-ish. I too, wanted a carb'd, air-cooled, v-twin - and well, the sportie is pretty much
the most old-fashioned new bike that still performs, and it has a zero maintenance drive train, and no points or valves to adjust!

Anyway, as far as the stance - get a Roadster and put a bench seat on it.
Bloodweiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #1524
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post

18" rear, 19" front. It still needs a standard seat along the lines of the Bonneville but this is the way all Sportsters should leave the factory... IMO..
Absofuckinglutely!!

If you're riding a Sporty with a 16" wheel outback, you will not believe the difference a change to an 18" makes.
Harleys sorry attempt with the S model that appeared in '96 and ended in '03 was so weak as to be self defeating.
Adjustable suspension does not a Sport model make. It's just a start. Double sparking and hotter cams in '98 made it a strong runner, but without better wheels, better suspension, lighter weight, reworking of the frame and more ground clearance, it was just a cheap experiment for them. The fact that the S model ran for 7 years and they sold only 30,000 bikes in that time shows also that most people who buy Sporties don't care about handling, IMO.

Here's '96 S.

gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #1525
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Broke down?
Don't want to get the girly bikes dirty?
Just kidding.
You're right - a- Sportyu IS a chick magnet...
Rob
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #1526
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
you spelled roadster wrong
Thank you!

I think the stock Nightster shock length is 11", and I believe the chassis are identical, so the stock 13.5 " of the Roadster is night and day better than any other Sporty ever produced by the Motor Company.

Of course, "better" = actual, objective performance measures, such as cornering clearance, not subjective criteria, like "looks".
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #1527
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post
Absofuckinglutely incredible!!!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #1528
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
You're right - a- Sportyu IS a chick magnet...
Rob
Another Harley myth. It's the Sporty rider that's the chick magnet.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #1529
Fred Gassit
z00b

Oddometer: 264
This is very cool. Any more pictures and info ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #1530
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gassit View Post
This is very cool. Any more pictures and info ??

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661573