Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #1606
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
Optioned-out 2013 Sportster...

Do that with the Roadster version. Hmmmmmm

Yes OldRoadToad I'll keep the twin discs up front.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #1607
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,989
That there is a great looking motorcycle. My back hurts just looking at it though.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #1608
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
The big 2013 Sportster news is the lack of an XR model in the US, a big bummer, and the missing Nightster. Between the Iron, the 48 and the 72, the Nightster may have just gotten crowded out. Too bad...the XR and the Nightster were my favorite Sportsters, and two of my favorite HDs.

No new mainline models means HD is probably going to roll out a few mid year bikes, like the Slim, 72, 48 rolls outs we've seen in the last couple of years.
I was a lot disappointed when I saw the 2013 model line. There isn't anything remotely sporty left. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #1609
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,780
I really like the optioned out '13 pictured above.

I think it would be neat for HD to offer an entire rolling chassis for a cafe racer, complete with a 60's style fairing, but as a catalog only purchase. Something CAD designed and for reals at the track, and with good binders, suspenders, etc.
That'd be a neat mid year roll out.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #1610
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,457
They certainly have the platform for it with the discon XR. But it will never happen. The MoCo has made their choice. Twisty road performance oriented HD customers are too few and far between to warrant their attention. It's just numbers.

I will likely buy another XR and cafe it.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #1611
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
They certainly have the platform for it with the discon XR. But it will never happen. The MoCo has made their choice. Twisty road performance oriented HD customers are too few and far between to warrant their attention. It's just numbers.
I'd agree with you...but for one odd thing: The XR1200 AMA series has been extended for another two years. Strange to keep sponsoring a race series and you're not selling the bike. So mayb a mid-year Cafe racer isn't out of the question (okay, it would seem extremely unlikely...but who knows)

Caakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #1612
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
I was a lot disappointed when I saw the 2013 model line. There isn't anything remotely sporty left. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Another Eric Buell will rise.........The Sportster just has too much potential as a sporty bike. Maybe Storz will pick up more of the slack.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #1613
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,457
Hell, I'd love to be wrong. ;) They were really moving in the right direction with the XR. The XRX doesn't take all that much to get it kitted up right. Keep all the good performance things from the XRX and make the style more like that modded '13. I think the more traditional sporty style coupled with XRX performance would sell but wtf do I know.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #1614
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitonagain View Post
my sporty!
Nice!!

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #1615
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
So I'm starting to eyeball some Sportsters, just sort of idle window shopping. If I were to pull the trigger my idea would be to slowly build something of a streettracker. I raced flattrack way back when and the style just appeals to me. Anyway, I know the easy way is to get the Storz catalog and go nuts, but it looks like their stuff only fits bikes back to 1986, and to get into a price range that I'd want to swing for the initial purchase I'd probably be looking at something older that that. Are the differences between pre- and post-1986 that significant? Any huge red flags with a '70s era Sportster in general?
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #1616
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
So I'm starting to eyeball some Sportsters, just sort of idle window shopping. If I were to pull the trigger my idea would be to slowly build something of a streettracker. I raced flattrack way back when and the style just appeals to me. Anyway, I know the easy way is to get the Storz catalog and go nuts, but it looks like their stuff only fits bikes back to 1986, and to get into a price range that I'd want to swing for the initial purchase I'd probably be looking at something older that that. Are the differences between pre- and post-1986 that significant? Any huge red flags with a '70s era Sportster in general?
you can buy a titled evo frame for a couple hundred, if you look carefully and buy decisively. Good place to start for a build.
Lots of Buell engines being sold in lumps and parts too.

A guy could cobble together a hell of a street tracker, if he took his time and started with a late model frame.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #1617
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
You really want to get a 1991 and up.They have 5 speed and a belt.Stay far away from any Ironheads complete junk.Take your time and look around should have no problem getting one for $2500

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #1618
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
you can buy a titled evo frame for a couple hundred, if you look carefully and buy decisively. Good place to start for a build.
Lots of Buell engines being sold in lumps and parts too.

A guy could cobble together a hell of a street tracker, if he took his time and started with a late model frame.
Not a bad idea...I prefer projects that I can ride while I tinker though if you know what I mean. But something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
You really want to get a 1991 and up.They have 5 speed and a belt.Stay far away from any Ironheads complete junk.Take your time and look around should have no problem getting one for $2500
If I got something with a belt I'd want a chain conversion. Not to sound like a total poser but it just wouldn't be a streettracker with a belt. So getting something that didn't have a belt would be a good thing. Could you be more specific about the ironheads? Complete junk in what way? Unreliable? Known issues? I know nothing about the various iterations or their quirks.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #1619
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
The problem with most Ironheads is their owners. When sorted out they aren't too bad, but no where as maintenance free as an Evo. That being said, if I didn't have so much money tied up into my Ironheads, I would go home and douse them in gasoline and torch them...
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #1620
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric123 View Post
The problem with most Ironheads is their owners. When sorted out they aren't too bad, but no where as maintenance free as an Evo. That being said, if I didn't have so much money tied up into my Ironheads, I would go home and douse them in gasoline and torch them...

Now there's a ringing endorsement! What kind of maintenance/problems are we talking about here? Like frequent tinkering required or frequent calls for the sag wagon required?