Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #1636
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 133
I know that I have been told before, but I'm old and I forget.
So how do I attach an image from my own computer?
Rob
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #1637
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
I know that I have been told before, but I'm old and I forget.
So how do I attach an image from my own computer?
Rob
You don't.

You need to upload it to a photo hosting site like Smugmug, picasa, or photobucket.

After uploading the image to the hosting site, you can link to it here, or on any other site for that matter.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #1638
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
A lot of the Storz stuff that is listed for '86 and newer will fit the '82-'85 Ironhead, too, as they had basically the same frame and front end. The Ironheads made in the last half of '84 and all the '85 models had the same alternator setup as the first Evo motors, which could be trouble-prone. Before that, Ironheads had a generator charging system.

I own an '83 Ironhead (and have had it for 22 years), and they aren't the junk many people seem to think they are. Sure, if you buy an abused one, one that hasn't been maintained, and/or one that had been "customized", you can have a mess on your hands. Find a good one, though, and it will be no more troublesome than any older bike. They have solid lifters, so the pushrods do require periodic adjustments, and the drive and primary chains need adjustment, too, but that's about all the extra care they require. The later ones had a decent electronic ignition, too, so none of that points & condenser crap.

If you want to build in some real performance, though, an Evo is probably the way to go. There's a lot more go-fast stuff available for them, and they can make better power than a similarly-modified Ironhead because of the better head design and better cooling. Ironheads are cool, though.
Great info and a beautiful bike. I missed out on a good looking '78 Ironhead in my neighborhood because I was dithering about spending the money. Kicking myself about that today. The performance thing is irrelevant to me. Yeah it would be cool to have some fire breathing monster, but the way I ride it would just be wasted.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #1639
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Just bought this '74 XLCH. Its as close to new as you can get without going back in time 38 years. Its so nice I almost hate to ride it. I am the third owner. It was bought new in Oakland CA. The original owner had the motor gone through and other parts redone in 1997 at Sonny Bargers Motorcycle Shop and some work done at Sportster Tony's A-1 Motorcycle Repair in Oakland (I have the reciepts). The guy sold it to his Brother and the bike was stripped down and restored (not 100% original). Less than 500 miles on it since all the work was done. It came with the original owners manual and shop manual and a box of extra parts and the original take offs including the original rims. The mags are OEM factory options. It's niiiice.

gus screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 06:43 PM Reason: add a picture
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #1640
gus
Studly Adventurer

Another Veiw

Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #1641
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Just bought this '74 XLCH. Its as close to new as you can get without going back in time 38 years. Its so nice I almost hate to ride it. I am the third owner. It was bought new in Oakland CA. The original owner had the motor gone through and other parts redone in 1997 at Sonny Bargers Motorcycle Shop and some work done at Sportster Tony's A-1 Motorcycle Repair in Oakland (I have the reciepts). The guy sold it to his Brother and the bike was stripped down and restored (not 100% original). Less than 500 miles on it since all the work was done. It came with the original owners manual and shop manual and a box of extra parts and the original take offs including the original rims. The mags are OEM factory options. It's niiiice.

i would suggest riding it.

a bike ridden often is much better than a bike that sits. that goes for you, or the next owner. letting anything automotive sit neglected is a bad idea.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #1642
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Sweet! That is a beautiful bike. Hope you enjoy it.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #1643
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post

Harley's....sheep....theres a joke in there somewhere........
Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #1644
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
i would suggest riding it.

a bike ridden often is much better than a bike that sits. that goes for you, or the next owner. letting anything automotive sit neglected is a bad idea.

+1, it's like marrying a super model and not touching her so you can save her for the next guy.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #1645
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post

and the ATGATT rider thats never tried anything even somewhat risky and that waited for the sheep to cross, instead of just crossing the minor ditch and riding on.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #1646
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
and the ATGATT rider thats never tried anything even somewhat risky and that waited for the sheep to cross, instead of just crossing the minor ditch and riding on.
Minimizing risk is how you keep your deductibles down and maximize your return on investment! ATGATT won't protect you from an investment degrading series of grass stains.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #1647
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Another Veiw

If that was a 74, then they removed all the linkage to switch the shift lever and the rear brake around. 74 was the first year that HD sporty's switched over to meet the mandate that all bikes in the US would have the shifter for the left foot and the rear brake for the right foot. I only remember this because mine was a 74 XLCH and I kept all of that funky linkage when I built it up from a basket case. After riding enduros and dirt bikes for so many years, I did not want to relearn just to ride the sporty comfortably.

Regardless, it is a awesome looking sporty and I really like the mags on it. Hope you enjoy the hell out of it.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #1648
ishdishwishfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Monoshock build on chopcult

ishdishwishfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #1649
gus
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131unlimited View Post
If that was a 74, then they removed all the linkage to switch the shift lever and the rear brake around. 74 was the first year that HD sporty's switched over to meet the mandate that all bikes in the US would have the shifter for the left foot and the rear brake for the right foot. I only remember this because mine was a 74 XLCH.
1975 was the first year of the left side shift. They routed the linkage around the back of the engine. I had a 1974 XLH back then and it was right side shift.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #1650
gus
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Where is the Harley in that picture?