Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #1696
cycowrencher
harley ridin puke.

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc16 View Post
Nice ! Mid controls and chain drive. Are those HD Sportster Sport Shocks ?
Yes, those are Sport shocks. I paid $50 for them. They were brand new take offs. I have the lowering blocks on so that my father could ride the bike and not be tip toed. I just got back from 800 miles of fun with the old man. I drove down to his place in Southern MD and we rode over to Va. Beach to visit old friends. A good time was had. I found that the way the bike is now, it will handle almost as well as a 2001 Bandit. Caveat Emptor: I have done a bit of modifying on this bike. I run a 6" wide rear tire that is more than 1" wider and taller than stock. I have mods in the forks as well. The chain helps accommodate the larger tire. I run a 23f and 44r sprocket. Even with the lowering blocks, that bike leans over considerably farther than a stock sporty, when I return it to normal ride height, I can really dog it.
cycowrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #1697
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I've put my '04 Roadster in the Flea Market if anybody is looking:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821571
Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #1698
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #1699
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744

This is mine, as it sits today. Started with this about a month ago:

You can pretty well see what I've done, except the Electra Glide shocks are hidden. It's a ton of fun, but I'm always kicking around the idea of selling to try a new bike.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #1700
pvt joker
Latebird

Oddometer: 104
Started with this a few months ago.

About 3 months, <$300 and a bunch of used/castoff parts from ebay & craigslist later.

pvt joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #1701
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,744
I was still cruising Craigslist the past few weeks, trying to find one of those smokin' deals that I could pounce on. A few came up, but either timing or geography kept conspiring against me. Last week I decided to cruise past the local dealer and see what they had on the lot. There were several Sportsters, but the one that caught my eye was a 2006 Roadster. I had mixed feelings about the sales guy...he was actually complementary about the ratty old Honda I pulled up on, but then he made some comment about always recommending forward controls for new riders because they're "more comfortable". Since I had been riding for such a long time he felt like I could probably handle the mids.

We chatted for a few minutes, he offered me a test ride, and I couldn't say no. Had a good couple of miles, came back, and told him I'd think about it. I would have to finance it, and I wasn't too keen on that so I just kind of put it out of my mind.

Fast forward a few days, I leave town for the Wisconsin Tough Mudder, and when I get back my wife says she got my something little...hands me a small box with Harley keys in it. So long story short, I'm the proud new owner of a 2006 Roadster with 4500 miles on it.

I've only had time to ride ~50 miles or so, but I absolutely love this bike. There are quibbles (like the completely worthless mirrors) but nothing that can't be fixed. The biggest step to making it a daily rider is going to be figuring out some waterproof luggage. I'll be back to pick some brains about that shortly.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #1702
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
I was still cruising Craigslist the past few weeks, trying to find one of those smokin' deals that I could pounce on. A few came up, but either timing or geography kept conspiring against me. Last week I decided to cruise past the local dealer and see what they had on the lot. There were several Sportsters, but the one that caught my eye was a 2006 Roadster. I had mixed feelings about the sales guy...he was actually complementary about the ratty old Honda I pulled up on, but then he made some comment about always recommending forward controls for new riders because they're "more comfortable". Since I had been riding for such a long time he felt like I could probably handle the mids.

We chatted for a few minutes, he offered me a test ride, and I couldn't say no. Had a good couple of miles, came back, and told him I'd think about it. I would have to finance it, and I wasn't too keen on that so I just kind of put it out of my mind.

Fast forward a few days, I leave town for the Wisconsin Tough Mudder, and when I get back my wife says she got my something little...hands me a small box with Harley keys in it. So long story short, I'm the proud new owner of a 2006 Roadster with 4500 miles on it.

I've only had time to ride ~50 miles or so, but I absolutely love this bike. There are quibbles (like the completely worthless mirrors) but nothing that can't be fixed. The biggest step to making it a daily rider is going to be figuring out some waterproof luggage. I'll be back to pick some brains about that shortly.
My leatherlykes were pretty tough. Survived multiple drops, but finally a 20mph drop on a slick steel plate did them in.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #1703
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I bought two or three different sets of saddlebags for my Dyna before buying a set from Leatherneck Jims. I should have bought these first. They are just leather, but I have ridden through some serious gully washers and everything stayed totally dry. I installed them using Easy Brackets, which I also think are great. Quick on and off.

My .02 after having bought too much stuff, much of it disappointing.

http://leatherneckjims.com/shop/inde...products_id=45
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #1704
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Quote:

Gorgeous bike. I'd LOVE to have one.

Can you flip the mirrors on that bike? It takes some getting used to, but on my XR1200 the mirror flip turns them from useless to an unobstructed view. It depends on a few factors but if it's doable, give it a try.

crappy pic but gives you an idea...took about 5 minutes.

found this pic on the web:

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #1705
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,543
+1 on flipping the mirrors.
I did that initially and it was great, took a sec to get used to
but you wind up with a good FOV.

I ended up putting superbike bars on my R
and the flipped mirrors bumped the tank.

Currently using a bar end.

Post Script - keep that wife of yours.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #1706
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
+1 on flipping the mirrors.
I did that initially and it was great, took a sec to get used to
but you wind up with a good FOV.

I ended up putting superbike bars on my R
and the flipped mirrors bumped the tank.

Currently using a bar end.

Post Script - keep that wife of yours.
Way better than I deserve by a mile for sure.

I'll take a look at flipping the mirrors, thanks both of you for the suggestion!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #1707
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Quote:
Way better than I deserve by a mile for sure.

I'll take a look at flipping the mirrors, thanks both of you for the suggestion!
Simple process...you're just swapping sides and mounting them upside down. But take your time so you don't scratch anything. DAMHIK

You'll look for clearance with the tank, of course, and you may need to rotate the turn signals out of the way to make the adjustment (this will make sense once you get started). You can then tweak them back into the proper position after you've done the swap.

I think it cleans up the look of the bike a bit, too.

Enjoy your bike! It looks like a GREAT setup!

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #1708
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Simple process...you're just swapping sides and mounting them upside down. But take your time so you don't scratch anything. DAMHIK

You'll look for clearance with the tank, of course, and you may need to rotate the turn signals out of the way to make the adjustment (this will make sense once you get started). You can then tweak them back into the proper position after you've done the swap.

I think it cleans up the look of the bike a bit, too.

Enjoy your bike! It looks like a GREAT setup!
Thanks Photog, I'll try to tinker with it today. I need to adjust the levers while I'm at it, the PO has them angled way up for some reason.

Those LeatherneckJim bags look awesome, and seem very reasonably priced for what they are. I just need to convince myself that leather is (or can be made) waterproof enough that I don't have to worry about my laptop in there on the way to work. In the meantime I've thrown on some cheap Chase Harpers that I had laying around the shop collecting dust. Kind of an ugly solution on a beautiful bike, but function over form.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #1709
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone have experience with Cavalry Fiberglass products? They have some Sportster saddlebags that look very attractive (large, completely waterproof), albeit at a hefty price.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #1710
s&s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
After getting rid of my xr1200 couple of years ago I thought I'm never gonna buy another sportster... Well, little did I know. Here's the new to me 1997 hugger.

And here's the direction it's going:

Pipes, air cleaner, new brake disks, probably rearsets and some other stuff coming next winter.

Seems that rigid mounted engine is my thing...
s&s is offline   Reply With Quote