Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #1711
MotoRacerGabe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I have a new 2012 72 model. I only have about 1700 miles on it. The sportster is my first NEW bike and my first Harley. I just sold my Blackbird after 5 years with it and 45k miles on it, I just stopped riding it once I got the sporty. I've had many bikes, right now the 72 fits me well.
I plan to take some trips on it. I have already bought some luggage and bags for it. I have made a fuel container to keep some fuel with me since the gas tank is so small. I'll post some pics later...
MotoRacerGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #1712
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRacerGabe View Post
I have a new 2012 72 model. I only have about 1700 miles on it. The sportster is my first NEW bike and my first Harley. I just sold my Blackbird after 5 years with it and 45k miles on it, I just stopped riding it once I got the sporty. I've had many bikes, right now the 72 fits me well.
I plan to take some trips on it. I have already bought some luggage and bags for it. I have made a fuel container to keep some fuel with me since the gas tank is so small. I'll post some pics later...
With almost 150 mi. range, fuel really should not be a problem. Just plan your stops and if going remote, don't pass any opportunity for gas.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #1713
MotoRacerGabe
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
With almost 150 mi. range, fuel really should not be a problem. Just plan your stops and if going remote, don't pass any opportunity for gas.
The 72 has the 2.1 gallon tank. At 40-45 mpg, the bike is bone dry around 80miles. I have two containers on the bike.now, one holds a bit more than half a gallon and the other is a liter. So that'll get me an additional 25-28 miles. That makes my range only a bit over 100 miles. I am making a mount so I can hold some more of these fuel bottles.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #1714
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
The 72 has the 2.1 gallon tank. At 40-45 mpg, the bike is bone dry around 80miles. I have two containers on the bike.now, one holds a bit more than half a gallon and the other is a liter. So that'll get me an additional 25-28 miles. That makes my range only a bit over 100 miles. I am making a mount so I can hold some more of these fuel bottles.
I have crossed all the the long dry roads of Australia, including the Nullabor, on my 2004 1200 using the standard tank. And Sportys are gratifyingly economical. If I slow to 90kph (55mph), I can get a range of 275 km. (170 miles), without refuelling.

But I have carried a 5ltr oil container in one pannier.
Problem solved. And after the long stretch, the oil container can be dispensed with.
Rob
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #1715
MotoRacerGabe
Adventurer

Go sportsters?

MotoRacerGabe screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 05:40 PM
Old 09-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #1716
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,113
Quote:

Have you done any interstate yet? That bike should get between 50-55 if you are nice to the throttle and keep it under 80mph. Still short range but you will probably want a break after 100 miles anyway.

By the way, nice scoot.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #1717
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Gabe, why not just have a "trip tank" that you can swap for long hauls, and then use the stock tank for daily commuting?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #1718
MotoRacerGabe
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Gabe, why not just have a "trip tank" that you can swap for long hauls, and then use the stock tank for daily commuting?
I have considered this. I don't think I will do this any time soon, I haven't done any trips where I'd would NEED a range beyond 100miles. I plan to have the sporty for a long time, I bet I'll swap the tank eventually.

Here's a pic with my bikers friend:

It fits pretty damn good. In this pic I had the sissy bar pad on it. I took it off after riding it around the block and it was just right. I could find any pics with the pad off...

The sporty does good on dirt. I've been off the road a few times on it so far. Once I go through these tires I plan to go with some dual-sport/adventure tires. The rear tire is a 16", there are only a few adventure tires made for this size. Between now and when I need tires, I'll find a 17" rear wheel to put on it. There are plenty of good 21" tires for the front.

I love the bike. I like how simple and raw it is. I traded in my 2005 Vulcan 2000 when I got it, and I don't miss that bike one bit. I sold the XX a couple of months ago and don't miss it...well just a little. Whenever I do think about the XX, I just take a ride on the sporty and forget about it.

Here's another pic. This was when I was mounting up my fuel container (an old fire extinguisher). The tank is skinny, I have order some atv tanks bags that'll give me some more storage. I'll post some pics when I get em in. (you can see the XX in the back and my old CM400)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #1719
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762

I love that tank.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #1720
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,576
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #1721
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,772
So I tried adjusting the angle of the levers, loosened up the two Torx head bolts holding the clutch perch, but couldn't get it to rotate down. Is there something I'm missing, are those things pinned to the bars or something?
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #1722
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
So I tried adjusting the angle of the levers, loosened up the two Torx head bolts holding the clutch perch, but couldn't get it to rotate down. Is there something I'm missing, are those things pinned to the bars or something?
You also need to loosen two smaller torx bolts holding the switch housings in place.. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #1723
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,576
Yeah, IIRC there's a torx on the top and bottom
And be careful when tightening them down -
it's the first fastener I've stripped in 4 years.
God damn housing is made of cheese.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #1724
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Yeah, IIRC there's a torx on the top and bottom
And be careful when tightening them down -
it's the first fastener I've stripped in 4 years.
God damn housing is made of cheese.
Made in Japan, I think.
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #1725
ADpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
luggage, carrying camping gear

Thinking about buying an 883 iron but concerned about carrying campping gear on a sportster. Does any one have pics or ideas on carrying campping gear?