ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #1711
MotoRacerGabe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: El Paso, Tx
Oddometer: 15
I have a new 2012 72 model. I only have about 1700 miles on it. The sportster is my first NEW bike and my first Harley. I just sold my Blackbird after 5 years with it and 45k miles on it, I just stopped riding it once I got the sporty. I've had many bikes, right now the 72 fits me well.
I plan to take some trips on it. I have already bought some luggage and bags for it. I have made a fuel container to keep some fuel with me since the gas tank is so small. I'll post some pics later...
MotoRacerGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #1712
fastdadio
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRacerGabe View Post
I have a new 2012 72 model. I only have about 1700 miles on it. The sportster is my first NEW bike and my first Harley. I just sold my Blackbird after 5 years with it and 45k miles on it, I just stopped riding it once I got the sporty. I've had many bikes, right now the 72 fits me well.
I plan to take some trips on it. I have already bought some luggage and bags for it. I have made a fuel container to keep some fuel with me since the gas tank is so small. I'll post some pics later...
With almost 150 mi. range, fuel really should not be a problem. Just plan your stops and if going remote, don't pass any opportunity for gas.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #1713
MotoRacerGabe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: El Paso, Tx
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
With almost 150 mi. range, fuel really should not be a problem. Just plan your stops and if going remote, don't pass any opportunity for gas.
The 72 has the 2.1 gallon tank. At 40-45 mpg, the bike is bone dry around 80miles. I have two containers on the bike.now, one holds a bit more than half a gallon and the other is a liter. So that'll get me an additional 25-28 miles. That makes my range only a bit over 100 miles. I am making a mount so I can hold some more of these fuel bottles.
MotoRacerGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #1714
theKite
Ulyssean
 
theKite's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Little Mountain, Queensland
Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRacerGabe View Post
The 72 has the 2.1 gallon tank. At 40-45 mpg, the bike is bone dry around 80miles. I have two containers on the bike.now, one holds a bit more than half a gallon and the other is a liter. So that'll get me an additional 25-28 miles. That makes my range only a bit over 100 miles. I am making a mount so I can hold some more of these fuel bottles.
I have crossed all the the long dry roads of Australia, including the Nullabor, on my 2004 1200 using the standard tank. And Sportys are gratifyingly economical. If I slow to 90kph (55mph), I can get a range of 275 km. (170 miles), without refuelling.

But I have carried a 5ltr oil container in one pannier.
Problem solved. And after the long stretch, the oil container can be dispensed with.
Rob
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #1715
MotoRacerGabe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: El Paso, Tx
Oddometer: 15
Go sportsters?






MotoRacerGabe screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 05:40 PM
MotoRacerGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #1716
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRacerGabe View Post
The 72 has the 2.1 gallon tank. At 40-45 mpg, the bike is bone dry around 80miles. I have two containers on the bike.now, one holds a bit more than half a gallon and the other is a liter. So that'll get me an additional 25-28 miles. That makes my range only a bit over 100 miles. I am making a mount so I can hold some more of these fuel bottles.

Have you done any interstate yet? That bike should get between 50-55 if you are nice to the throttle and keep it under 80mph. Still short range but you will probably want a break after 100 miles anyway.


By the way, nice scoot.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My HD Scram-ster build
Help Save a Pit-Bull
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #1717
kraven
Hegelian Scum
 
kraven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRacerGabe View Post
The 72 has the 2.1 gallon tank. At 40-45 mpg, the bike is bone dry around 80miles. I have two containers on the bike.now, one holds a bit more than half a gallon and the other is a liter. So that'll get me an additional 25-28 miles. That makes my range only a bit over 100 miles. I am making a mount so I can hold some more of these fuel bottles.
Gabe, why not just have a "trip tank" that you can swap for long hauls, and then use the stock tank for daily commuting?
__________________
So there I was walking into a biker bar in Chattanooga with liberty spikes on my head and a drag queen beside me... - bcurvin
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #1718
MotoRacerGabe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: El Paso, Tx
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Gabe, why not just have a "trip tank" that you can swap for long hauls, and then use the stock tank for daily commuting?
I have considered this. I don't think I will do this any time soon, I haven't done any trips where I'd would NEED a range beyond 100miles. I plan to have the sporty for a long time, I bet I'll swap the tank eventually.

Here's a pic with my bikers friend:


It fits pretty damn good. In this pic I had the sissy bar pad on it. I took it off after riding it around the block and it was just right. I could find any pics with the pad off...


The sporty does good on dirt. I've been off the road a few times on it so far. Once I go through these tires I plan to go with some dual-sport/adventure tires. The rear tire is a 16", there are only a few adventure tires made for this size. Between now and when I need tires, I'll find a 17" rear wheel to put on it. There are plenty of good 21" tires for the front.

I love the bike. I like how simple and raw it is. I traded in my 2005 Vulcan 2000 when I got it, and I don't miss that bike one bit. I sold the XX a couple of months ago and don't miss it...well just a little. Whenever I do think about the XX, I just take a ride on the sporty and forget about it.


Here's another pic. This was when I was mounting up my fuel container (an old fire extinguisher). The tank is skinny, I have order some atv tanks bags that'll give me some more storage. I'll post some pics when I get em in. (you can see the XX in the back and my old CM400)
MotoRacerGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #1719
kraven
Hegelian Scum
 
kraven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 4,762


I love that tank.
__________________
So there I was walking into a biker bar in Chattanooga with liberty spikes on my head and a drag queen beside me... - bcurvin
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #1720
Bloodweiser OP
honestly
 
Bloodweiser's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: way over yonder in the minor key
Oddometer: 2,576
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #1721
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer
 
TheOtherBart's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: DeKalb County, Illinois
Oddometer: 1,772
So I tried adjusting the angle of the levers, loosened up the two Torx head bolts holding the clutch perch, but couldn't get it to rotate down. Is there something I'm missing, are those things pinned to the bars or something?
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #1722
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer
 
woodnbow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Western Slope (By God!) of Colorado
Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
So I tried adjusting the angle of the levers, loosened up the two Torx head bolts holding the clutch perch, but couldn't get it to rotate down. Is there something I'm missing, are those things pinned to the bars or something?
You also need to loosen two smaller torx bolts holding the switch housings in place.. Good luck.
__________________
Or as one of my buds who is a Ducati afficionado observed after riding it "That's the angriest damn motorcycle I've ever ridden."
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #1723
Bloodweiser OP
honestly
 
Bloodweiser's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: way over yonder in the minor key
Oddometer: 2,576
Yeah, IIRC there's a torx on the top and bottom
And be careful when tightening them down -
it's the first fastener I've stripped in 4 years.
God damn housing is made of cheese.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #1724
theKite
Ulyssean
 
theKite's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Little Mountain, Queensland
Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Yeah, IIRC there's a torx on the top and bottom
And be careful when tightening them down -
it's the first fastener I've stripped in 4 years.
God damn housing is made of cheese.
Made in Japan, I think.
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #1725
ADpete
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ADpete's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Canbrerra Australia
Oddometer: 219
luggage, carrying camping gear

Thinking about buying an 883 iron but concerned about carrying campping gear on a sportster. Does any one have pics or ideas on carrying campping gear?
__________________
PETERD
ADpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014