Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #1741
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
I'm slowly working my way through the 50+ page Sportster luggage thread on the XL Forums and I had a thought...is there anything that would stop someone from mounting up aluminum adventure-type panniers using something like the Ghost Bracket or Easy Bracket? This is going to be my everyday bike and I've gotten very spoiled by the toss-in-and-go convenience of the big, waterproof aluminum case I have on the Nighthawk. I know they wouldn't be pretty, but if I want to go impress someone I could just pop them off.
I had them on mine and they are not that hard to put on and work well. Still narrower than the handle bars. I used the tallest bags and lower my exhaust to fit. if you used the standard teton bags that is not an issue

johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #1742
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
I had them on mine and they are not that hard to put on and work well. Still narrower than the handle bars. I used the tallest bags and lower my exhaust to fit. if you used the standard teton bags that is not an issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Should be a piece of cake.Remember that you have those really strong fender struts to mount to.
Sounds like two for and one against. Any other input? I'm not worried about the width, the soft bags I have on now are 8" wide or so and sit outside the shocks.

Berto, that's pretty much what I had in mind. It looks like all of the leather bags with the stiffeners in the back just bolt to that seat rail/fender strut.

John, that's a fantastic looking ride!
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #1743
Tefloncandy
Oximoran

Oddometer: 175
One in the wild

Old 09-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #1744
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Sounds like two for and one against. Any other input? I'm not worried about the width, the soft bags I have on now are 8" wide or so and sit outside the shocks.

Berto, that's pretty much what I had in mind. It looks like all of the leather bags with the stiffeners in the back just bolt to that seat rail/fender strut.

John, that's a fantastic looking ride!
I'm working on some racks to run Pelican Cases (or similar). With a turn signal relocation or smaller signals they don't sit out very far from the bike (about 2 inches on each side). My current throwovers are only 15 liters per side. Looking to double that with the new cases so that I can pull weight from my seat/sissy-bar and lower the CG.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #1745
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefloncandy View Post

Love the Photoshopping!
Rob
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #1746
theKite
Ulyssean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
You don't.

You need to upload it to a photo hosting site like Smugmug, picasa, or photobucket.

After uploading the image to the hosting site, you can link to it here, or on any other site for that matter.
Just a thought: Does Facebook qualify as a hosting site. How would I go about that?
Rob
Old 09-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #1747
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
Just a thought: Does Facebook qualify as a hosting site. How would I go about that?
Rob

i normally use imageshack. its super easy.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #1748
Tefloncandy
Oximoran

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
Rob
Not well... Imageshack is free...
Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #1749
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I'm working on some racks to run Pelican Cases (or similar). With a turn signal relocation or smaller signals they don't sit out very far from the bike (about 2 inches on each side). My current throwovers are only 15 liters per side. Looking to double that with the new cases so that I can pull weight from my seat/sissy-bar and lower the CG.
Have any pictures? I'd like to see your design and mounting points.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 AM   #1750
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
Facebook works fine as an image hosting site.
it's works the same as other places for me anyway.
Right click the pic, "copy image location"....
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #1751
theKite
Ulyssean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Facebook works fine as an image hosting site.
it's works the same as other places for me anyway.
Right click the pic, "copy image location"....
OK! I'll try it!
Rob
Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #1752
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ginger, I just stumbled across this at the XL Forums: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...&postcount=357

I'm still convinced that the best solution for me is some kind of top-loading hard bags on those Easy Brackets. The issues are finding bags the right size (I need 8" wide internally, too narrow and the bag I always carry won't fit, too wide and it just gets goofy) at a reasonable price. Surplus 20mm ammo cans seem like just the right size, at an unbeatable price, but at 20 pounds each they've already overloaded the Easy Brackets (15 lb max) empty. And I know that 15 lbs is probably way, way conservative, but...
Old 09-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #1753
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Ginger, I just stumbled across this at the XL Forums: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...&postcount=357

I'm still convinced that the best solution for me is some kind of top-loading hard bags on those Easy Brackets. The issues are finding bags the right size (I need 8" wide internally, too narrow and the bag I always carry won't fit, too wide and it just gets goofy) at a reasonable price. Surplus 20mm ammo cans seem like just the right size, at an unbeatable price, but at 20 pounds each they've already overloaded the Easy Brackets (15 lb max) empty. And I know that 15 lbs is probably way, way conservative, but...

No pics until I get the quick release setup sorted out. As soon as they are done I will be sure to post pics. I am trying to come up with a solution that either leaves minimal hardware behind when the bags are off or has hidden hardware.

With regards to bag width/length/height, that has been my main motivator for trying to come up with a better solution than what is currently available. Seems that a lot of hard bags are either tall and narrow long and narrow. I would want something that makes up the extra room with width rather than height or length. 8in-9in seems about right.

I had no idea that the EZ brackets were so fragile. I have a set of throw over hoops that I welded up that have dealt with as much as 40lbs per side without issue.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #1754
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No pics until I get the quick release setup sorted out. As soon as they are done I will be sure to post pics. I am trying to come up with a solution that either leaves minimal hardware behind when the bags are off or has hidden hardware.

With regards to bag width/length/height, that has been my main motivator for trying to come up with a better solution than what is currently available. Seems that a lot of hard bags are either tall and narrow long and narrow. I would want something that makes up the extra room with width rather than height or length. 8in-9in seems about right.

I had no idea that the EZ brackets were so fragile. I have a set of throw over hoops that I welded up that have dealt with as much as 40lbs per side without issue.
Yeah I'm finding the same thing with the aluminum boxes, most of them are just simply too tall. I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a set of these. Hardstreet Classic Tour, 9.5"x22"x12". They'll probably cross over that threshold between "big" and "goofy big", but in terms of price vs. utility they seem like just about the best option. And I'll never see them while I'm riding.

What Pelican cases do you have in mind to use? The biggest top loaders I've seen were the 1440s at 7.5" wide.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #1755
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Looking at the im2450 but the 15.2in outside height may squash that idea. Seems that right around 14in is max if you want a comfortable passenger. They also are not top loaders which cuts down on their practicality a bit. The large top loaders (1440) from Pelican are simply too tall and the smaller ones are too narrow. Neither have the 8in that you are looking for.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 03:12 PM