merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #1892
GregerWolf
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
If I could make a suggestion??

Who makes that exhaust? Looks like it has better ground clearance than some of the other 2-into-1s on the market.

GregerWolf screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 01:33 PM Reason: To include the picture
GregerWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #1893
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
These were the old style Bub 7 2-1 headers from an early model Dyna glide with a Kerker pipe and my own brackets. If you have an FXR you can still buy Bub pipes for the Dyna or Supertrapp still makes the FXR pipe and can also hook you up. You need to contact Supertrapp directly as it's no longer a catalog item. I have a complete spare Supertrapp pipe in my garage, it fits about the same way..
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #1894
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer: 450
Ordered my first Harley ever, after feeling a sudden urge to get one. Will come in some time January. With some paint and powdercoat work (mostly black), the mandatory tuning kit and Cobra's I should be all set. All my buddies, and I, used to avoid HD's like the plague and criticize their owners for being posters. Well, I converted after a test ride (of 30 minutes only due to freezing conditions!) as it put a big smile on my face. And I have to admit, I have secretly always liked the Sportsters...

However... After reading this whole thread I'm not so convinced anymore, there's so much negative comments about the brand, the brakes, the shocks, the feel, you name it.

Anyways, I'm sure I'm gonna love mine, in fact I already love my gimpshopped bike, not having ridden one single kilometer on it!

b l a c k S P e c i a l s

blackSP screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 12:43 PM
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #1895
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Here´s one in orange I spotted at EICMA.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #1896
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

blackSP is what it will be, the only orange in my garage is KTM :)

Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #1897
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post

However... After reading this whole thread I'm not so convinced anymore, there's so much negative comments about the brand, the brakes, the shocks, the feel, you name it.

Anyways, I'm sure I'm gonna love mine, in fact I already love my gimpshopped bike, not having ridden one single kilometer on it!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I think my XR1200 is imperfect but perfect for me.

I'd love to have a 2nd Sporty for more laid-back running around. Something about them connects with me. I hope you have the same reaction when you get yours.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #1898
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
Look at any brand specific thread and you will find people bitching about their bike, they all suck. Just go ride the wheels off it and upgrade what you want to and then you can complain about all the things that should have been done at the factory as well....

Enjoy your new bike.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #1899
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Look at any brand specific thread and you will find people bitching about their bike, they all suck. Just go ride the wheels off it and upgrade what you want to and then you can complain about all the things that should have been done at the factory as well....

Enjoy your new bike.
Truer words were never spoken. I ride a KLR, a XR1200, and a BMW GS Adv. lol Pig, Pigger, Piggest. I love the idea of everybody hating on my bikes.

Ride the snot out of it.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #1900
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

True, I will ride it like the wind as soon as I have it...
Thanks for the encouraging words!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #1901
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
35+ years of motorcycling and I never thought I'd hear myself say the words, "I want a Harley". Then I just wondered into a Harley dealership with my GF a few nights ago and saw this bike:

Haven't been able to get it out of my mind since.... So, yesterday I went back and test rode this one:

This was my first ever ride on a Harley, or anything with forward controls. I was a little dubious about how I'd get along with the forwards from the get go. Admittedly, it was a short test ride and it's possible that I could get used to them, but it just didn't feel natural to me after years of riding sport bikes, standards, and dirtbikes.

So, just to see the difference I took a ride on this one too:

While I much prefer the styling and the engine of the Forty Eight over the 883 Iron, I must say that I really enjoyed the ride of the 883 better. The mid controls felt much more natural to me and I felt comfortable on this bike from the get go.

So, now, after all these years of ridin' I find myself in the position of being a noob. I have a lot to research and learn about these bikes but I'm not sure where exactly to turn for good information that isn't overloaded with the HD pirate mentality (one of the things that always turned me off to the brand).

For example, I know that the long and low look is in vogue, and while I know this isn't a sportbike, I really would prefer to have better cornering clearance. I mentioned this to the salesman (nice guy) and was met with a blank stare. I know that I can upgrade the shocks to something better, and something longer to increase ride height in the rear, but is there anything, short of a complete new front end, that can be done to get the front up to match longer shocks and increase overall ride height and cornering clearance? For example, this bike looks much more capable while still looking way cool to me:

Is it possible to get longer fork tubes for the stock lowers? I'm not trying to gain travel really, just undo the factory slammed look and give the bike more respectable corner carving ability.

The one other thing I noticed was the brakes. DUH! I expected it so I wasn't really surprised that a single small disc and two pot caliper wasn't real strong, but still... In this day and age, I don't understand why they can't see fit to put a decent front brake on a bike. Are there any common, budget upgrades in this department? Any adapter brackets that allow ebay sourced sportbike calipers to be retrofitted, perhaps? Perhaps even with similarly sourced rotors.

Any info or recommendations of a good place to find this info would be appreciated.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #1902
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Interesting write up, very similar experience to mine. with one difference, I ordered my first hd!
I'm sure you will make the right choice...

Old 11-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #1903
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Here are some shots of my mostly original 1969 XLCH. It has 19,000 miles and I'm the second owner. This is the second re-paint of its original 'sparkling gold' color.

Here is a picture of the 'business' end. Its the original Tillotson carb and Farbanks magneto:
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #1904
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
This is my all original 1978 XLH, 75th Anniversary Edition:

SPORTSTERS RULE!
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #1905
trashbox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

The one other thing I noticed was the brakes. DUH! I expected it so I wasn't really surprised that a single small disc and two pot caliper wasn't real strong, but still... In this day and age, I don't understand why they can't see fit to put a decent front brake on a bike. Are there any common, budget upgrades in this department? Any adapter brackets that allow ebay sourced sportbike calipers to be retrofitted, perhaps? Perhaps even with similarly sourced rotors.

Any info or recommendations of a good place to find this info would be appreciated.

I haven't done this and I don't know the particulars but I read on xlforum that you can somehow (pretty easily) fit vrod calipers on the front of some sportsters.

Here's the thread where I saw this... http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=274658
trashbox is offline   Reply With Quote