RSD Iron

Old 11-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #1922
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Gorgeous Ironheads guys.
What I noticed about both the ironheads is how close you sit to the rear cylinder head. Does it get toasty down there?

Yes, it can be toasty in the summer. It feels great in the winter though (if you can get it kick-started).

Worse than the proximity of the rear head to your crotch, is the side mount oil tank of the 1957-78 XLH. It hits you in the thigh when you put your right leg down, and it gets HOT.

I dont know anything about Evos... but I hear they run cooler.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #1923
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Yes, it can be toasty in the summer. It feels great in the winter though (if you can get it kick-started).

Worse than the proximity of the rear head to your crotch, is the side mount oil tank of the 1957-78 XLH. It hits you in the thigh when you put your right leg down, and it gets HOT.

I dont know anything about Evos... but I hear they run cooler.
Holy crap, an Evo runs cooler? My experience with them was 1 ) the oil tank got toasty on my thigh and 2) it would overheat like crazy if I didn't run synth oil.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #1924
ivantheterrible
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
i've been following along with this thread and my sportster interest is growing. A couple of interesting pre-EVO motor sportster have popped up locally. I want/need any motorcycle that I own to be at least some what dependable without working on it every weekend. I hope it hasn't been asked, but what's the feeling on the pre-EVO'S? Common knowledge seems to be that they're a huge PITA, but common knowledge is often wrong. A couple that I really like are an '80 and a '84. Any feed back would be appreciated.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #1925
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
This is the RSD Nightster I found @ www.rolandsands.com

I much prefer the spoke wheels on "my" version.

Go to :30 on this video to see the riding position with the clip-ons, mids and thin-thin seat

HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #1926
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
This is the RSD Nightster I found @ www.rolandsands.com

I much prefer the spoke wheels on "my" version.

Go to :30 on this video to see the riding position with the clip-ons, mids and thin-thin seat

The riding position is absolutely stupid. After all that work, time and money and they didn't put a set of proper rear set on it? Dumbass.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #1927
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 133
My 2004 1200 Sporty is the most reliable vehicle - two wheels or four - that I have ever owned. Period.
Plus it's economical and fun.
Rob
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #1928
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
sporter vs bonneville vshonda R/S

Well my question is simple, I am looking into a bike such as the sportsters but it hard not to look somewhere else, so since is a pro sporter, please tell why this is a better bike. I would be buying new since I tend to keep th bikes for as long as possible.

If it matter I ride a KLR 650 from kawasaki, I am 5'8" with 30 in inseam and 190 lbs with all the gear on.

I would prefer the HD since it can be bough in my country and save me the 1200-2000 usd importatins fees and the honda is the clone to the hd, the bonneville is different but also has that old look look.

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #1929
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
i've been following along with this thread and my sportster interest is growing. A couple of interesting pre-EVO motor sportster have popped up locally. I want/need any motorcycle that I own to be at least some what dependable without working on it every weekend. I hope it hasn't been asked, but what's the feeling on the pre-EVO'S? Common knowledge seems to be that they're a huge PITA, but common knowledge is often wrong. A couple that I really like are an '80 and a '84. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Reliability of the 1957-1984 "Ironhead" Sportster TOTALLY depends on the bike's history and how well it was maintained. IF you need a reliable one, it is going to need to be a low mile bike that is mostly original. The more times the motor has been apart and the more things that previous owners changed... the more problems you will have. There are several 'groups' of Ironheads:

1957-1969: First generation 900cc. These bikes are RARE and EXPENSIVE. They are so old that they are NOT suitable for a daily driver, unless you get an original un-molested one, in which case you wouldnt want to daily drive it anyway. Most are kickstart only, but later (1965-1969) XLH models had electric start. Pre 1965 all sportsters were 6 volt, and electric parts are hard to get and VERY expensive.

1970-1972: Second generation 900cc. These have more modern ignitions (except 1970), wiring, and for the XLCH a battery. Same as above, the 900's have their own set of 'issues' and are much less dependable than the 1000's (slipping kicker gears and weak cases especially). All XLH of this era are electric start. All are left side brake, right side shift and have drum brakes front and rear.

1973-1978: First generation 1000cc. These are the best to daily drive. They still have the classic look, but have front disc brakes, and even better wiring and 'electronics'. Their electric starters are dependable too. XLCH is still kickstart only. 1978 and later got a much improved oil pump. 1973 was the last year of right side shift. 1977 had an engine block re-design to accomidate 'propper' left shift without a bunch of extra linkage.

1979-1981: These used the flat-track inspired frame and subsiquently look funny dressed as cruisers. 1979 was the last year for kick starters, but 1981 has the 'modern' one piece starter+solenoid combo that is dead reliable. Late 1979 was the introduction of electronic ignition as standard equiptment. This is the best handling frame. All models had dual front disc brakes and singe disc rear.

1982-1984: These use the same basic frame that continued through 2003. Personally, i dont like these, because the chassis looks just like Sportsters through 2003... so it doesnt feel like a classic. Stay FAR AWAY from 1984 models. They are the first year for the alternator (mounted on clutch basket) and the magnents tend to fall off and damage your primary drive or tranny.

If it were me, I would buy a low miles 1978 if I was going to daily drive an Ironhead.

Sidecar Jockey screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 09:44 AM
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #1930
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
I had an '84 I bought new. It was the most reliable bike I ever owned. Never gave me any problems. Of course that was almost 30 years ago so its probably not too relevant to today. Unlike SJ above, I like the '82-84 ironhead frame for its handling over the older lugged frame.

Heat is felt off the rear cylinder when stopped. I never noticed it too much when moving. My buddies Duck 996 put a lot more heat on the right leg when the fan kicked on.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #1931
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
If it matter I ride a KLR 650 from kawasaki, I am 5'8" with 30 in inseam and 190 lbs with all the gear on.

I would prefer the HD since it can be bough in my country and save me the 1200-2000 usd importatins fees and the honda is the clone to the hd, the bonneville is different but also has that old look look.

Thanks

Damasovi
Are you considering the 883 or 1200?

If the HD is cheaper then it's a no brainer. Great mpg ( 45-55 on the 1200 and even better on the 883) , very low maintenance (belt, hydraulic valves, large oil capacity) , very reliable (but so are the others) and it has the best aftermarket of the 3 bikes mentioned. You can make it into anything you want.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #1932
ivantheterrible
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
thanks for the detailed response, sidecar jockey!
i must say, i much prefer the looks of the 1970's sportsters.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #1933
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Somebody was a fan of High Anxiety judging from that front wheel...

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #1934
Jonesy72
n00b

Oddometer: 4

just traded her in .
Jonesy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #1935
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Are you considering the 883 or 1200?

If the HD is cheaper then it's a no brainer. Great mpg ( 45-55 on the 1200 and even better on the 883) , very low maintenance (belt, hydraulic valves, large oil capacity) , very reliable (but so are the others) and it has the best aftermarket of the 3 bikes mentioned. You can make it into anything you want.
thanks and yes I am thinking 883 since it is cheaper and I don't have a problem with cc, I have a 650 and a 100 cc now, so 883 would be a bigger bike for me and the first 2 cylinder.

Also if the time comes, I think I can make it into a 1200 not to expensively.

So another question, how are the brakes? That would be something I could consider important. and can you put a 4.5 gallon tank on it?

Thanks for the info.

Damasovi