Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #181
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
At one of several fill-ups I've done in the week that I've owned it....

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #182
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post

I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am lusting after it.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #183
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,165
I'm stuck in Africa and my one bike I can't wait to ride is the XR!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #184
Taarne
Hello World!

Oddometer: 48
Has anybody heard anything about when sportster are going to have ABS-brake options?

I've previously owned a -04 1200R, which I liked a lot, but I hated the carbs, the suspension was nothing great and the tank range was a little too poor for my travels. However, after a few years, I'm longing for a Harley again, and I like the superlow a lot. I'm very apprehensive about buying a motorcycle without ABS though.

If I happen to muster up the balls to buy one without ABS though, what sort of modifications do you think are possible to make my 6'1" frame fit on the bike? I never felt very uncomfortable on the roadster (except for the terrible seat), but when I sat on the superlow it felt surprisingly cramped. I don't know whether this is actually true or if I've just hit my head often enough to forget what the roadster was like.
I know rear suspension has to be upgraded, even with the better-than-basic on the R, it was actually pretty terrible. I'm not a lover of the low-down look, and like ground clearance, so 13,5" progressives would be first on the list. What are the possibilities for extending the distance between the seats and the pegs though? Are there seats that are significally higher than stock, or rearset options?

..And before somebody says "make your own", I'm a klutz :) Thanks!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #185
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post

I want to put spoked rims and knobbies on one of those so badly...
Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #186
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taarne View Post
Has anybody heard anything about when sportster are going to have ABS-brake options?

I've previously owned a -04 1200R, which I liked a lot, but I hated the carbs, the suspension was nothing great and the tank range was a little too poor for my travels. However, after a few years, I'm longing for a Harley again, and I like the superlow a lot. I'm very apprehensive about buying a motorcycle without ABS though.

If I happen to muster up the balls to buy one without ABS though, what sort of modifications do you think are possible to make my 6'1" frame fit on the bike? I never felt very uncomfortable on the roadster (except for the terrible seat), but when I sat on the superlow it felt surprisingly cramped. I don't know whether this is actually true or if I've just hit my head often enough to forget what the roadster was like.
I know rear suspension has to be upgraded, even with the better-than-basic on the R, it was actually pretty terrible. I'm not a lover of the low-down look, and like ground clearance, so 13,5" progressives would be first on the list. What are the possibilities for extending the distance between the seats and the pegs though? Are there seats that are significally higher than stock, or rearset options?

..And before somebody says "make your own", I'm a klutz :) Thanks!
Sure there will be some flames from this post, but what the hell...

I'm 6' even and I can't get comfortable on any of the sporters in stock form, no way , no how, they are a small framed bike made for smaller riders.

But If your 100% set on it, I'd look for seats from mustange, Lepera, C&C and other aftermarket mfgs to push you as far back as possible. Then either live with mid controls and be cramped until you can stretch out on extended high way pegs or just go all the way with a kit from a company like accutronix or jay Brake that would provide you a set of extended forward controls. That and a set of Apes should make you fit kinda' ok.

That said and before the friggn flames begin ;) Apes and forward controls are the friggin anti-christ to most folks on this board, since they do not improve handeling, but if your 6' 1" and need to stretch out on a sporty (to me they will always be small texas dirtbikes! , but that's another story for another time). You'll need to kick out the hand and foot controls and get pushed back into the seat.

Have you sat on any of the Dyna's? there are not as fast handeling as the Sporty's and they do not have ABS either, but they are good bikes for cruising and are sized for a taller rider and are "closest" to the Sportsters of all the big twins...
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #187
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

I am 6'5" and I like the fit and feel of the XR1200X.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #188
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
God bless you my man. I can't imangine how you can stay scrunched up like that.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #189
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131unlimited View Post
God bless you my man. I can't imangine how you can stay scrunched up like that.
I do 600 mile days on my DR650 and love every mile.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #190
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
I've always known you were nuts DAKEZ.

I'm 6'2, and had to sell my XL1200R for the same reason - it was just too small for my long legs in the end, and no seat would fix it (without giving me just enough room for emergency stops to make for entertaining ball-meet-tank interactions). :(
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #191
Taarne
Hello World!

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 131unlimited View Post
Have you sat on any of the Dyna's? there are not as fast handeling as the Sporty's and they do not have ABS either, but they are good bikes for cruising and are sized for a taller rider and are "closest" to the Sportsters of all the big twins...
I have, and I have no doubt they'd fit me better and are better for cruising around. There's only two buts, I'd rather have a slightly smaller, lighter bike as I live in the city, and riding in it is a necessary evil. I know, no harley is good for that :) Second, and far larger reason is that cheapest dyna in Finland costs roughly equivelant of $26500 new and deprecation is quite low. A new superlow, however, is just $15300.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #192
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I am 6'5" and I like the fit and feel of the XR1200X.
I test rode a leftover 2009 XR1200 last spring. At 6'-2" and shrinking due to age, I still felt like a monkey nailing a football on that thing. I guess that I'm spoilt having ridden German bikes for the last 10 years or so, they seem to be built for bigger humans. I straddled a XR1200X at the MSP motorcycle show, felt exactly the same, too cramped even for weekend joy-rides.

I guess that I should say that most bikes feel too small. Sat on FJRs, C14s, VFR1200, etc. all seemed tiny compared to the R1200GS that I was riding at the time, the K1300GT seemed fine.

I can't wait to try the K1600GT but will probably have to wait for a used one.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #193
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby View Post
I still felt like a monkey nailing a football on that thing... I guess that I'm spoilt having ridden German bikes for the last 10 years or so, they seem to be built for bigger humans.
The German bikes are certainly a better fit. But being freakishly tall I have learned to accept what is. You should see me on a Ninja 250.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #194
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The German bikes are certainly a better fit. But being freakishly tall I have learned to accept what is. You should see me on a Ninja 250.
I want pics.
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #195
Witness
Me

Oddometer: 465

Witness is offline   Reply With Quote