Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #2011
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,275
I had asked some questions earlier in this thread in regard to increasing the ground clearance of the 48, specifically, what could be done to undo the factory lowering treatment of the forks. After a bit of reading and research, I was as confused as ever because there were conflicting stories scattered here and there in different forums that I visited in my research. In my frustration I decided to start my own thread over on XLforum and see if I could get answers from those with actual experience. It didn't quite go that way, but in the end one or two of the members helped read some things and it appears that a long debated topic over there has finally been laid to rest. I'll spare you the details, but I will say that all evidence points to the fact that all rubbermount XL Sportsters share the same fork tubes. There are three different damper lengths and these account for the differences in ride height and suspension travel between the various models such as the 48 and the Roadster. If anyone is interested in reading this thread to learn more, it can be found HERE

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #2012
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Soooooooo, I heard Harley sold Erik Buell his Buell name back or something like that.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #2013
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Why do you want to raise it, I'd get some decent shocks to the rear and maybe some stiffer oils up front (and the adjusters they sell). Personally the ground clearance hasnt become an issue, I set the rear preset to "full" and its just fine now.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #2014
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Why do you want to raise it, I'd get some decent shocks to the rear and maybe some stiffer oils up front (and the adjusters they sell). Personally the ground clearance hasnt become an issue, I set the rear preset to "full" and its just fine now.
A couple of reasons, actually. Let me explain:

Harley's latest offerings have all been lowered from their earlier models stance. This has been a styling choice due to the popularity of the long and low slammed look. Many different products to lower factory bikes have been sold to those that were more interested in the "look" of their bike than the performance. Harley just followed these trends and made the choice to offer the bikes with the "look" that sold.

There are two problems that this compromise brings about however. I suppose it depends on the end users wants and expectations, and while some people, like yourself, may be happy with it as is, I'm not willing to make the concessions in performance for the sake of style that the lowering brings about.

In no particular order of importance, the two problems as I see them are:

Cornering clearance -

I've been riding for well over 30 years and have ridden all sorts of bikes over all sorts of roads. While I'm no Ricky Racer type, I do enjoy a spirited ride on a nice curvy road, and this requires adequate cornering clearance in order to have decent lean angles. Sorry to say, but due to work and weather I've only had one 50 mile ride on my new bike. I just took it on one of my favorite ride routes here close to my house, and not on my favorite curvy roads up in the mountains. It was cold, I was on a new, unfamiliar, bike, and the tires hadn't been scrubbed in yet. Hell the tires weren't even warm yet as I approached the first nice little bend in the road. This curve is sometimes littered with a little sand and gravel too, so I just tip-toed through it. And yet I STILL managed to ground the left peg feeler hard enough to fold the peg back a bit. On my other bikes I can take that same turn easily at two to three times the speed at which this bike scraped the pegs. Granted, this curve is a nice tight 90 degree turn but it is fun on my other bikes when ridden at a spirited pace.

Now, with that said, I know that this is a different bike with a different application in mind, and I fully accept that it will have limitations. I didn't get it to replace my other bikes, and wanted it for those more relaxed, smell the roses, cruiser style types of rides. But, I still don't want to be that limited when there are things that can be done to bring the cornering clearance back up to that of earlier models, like the Roadster, and be able to ride it without worrying so much about grounding hard parts.

Severely limited cornering clearance has serious safety issues as well. Even if ridden well within the bikes capabilities, you never know when things will go wrong. On other bikes I'm usually nowhere near their limits, so if I unexpectedly get into a turn too hot, or have to make an evasive maneuver for gravel in a turn, an animal, a car, whatever, I have lean angle in reserve which gives me a safety margin. With the lowered limits of this bike, I'd be at its limits a great deal of time and have nothing in reserve in case of the unforeseen. In a nut shell, having good cornering clearance is more fun and more safe.

Suspension compliance -

Maybe I'm spoiled, IDK, but one of my bikes is an R1150GS. That bike has good long travel suspension that makes the bad roads around here seem good. It's very easy to ride at a spirited pace over bad pavement and remain in perfect control and still be comfortable. Even my Buell S1, which isn't known for a great rear suspension, while not a GS, is still very manageable over most of these same roads. On the ride described above I took the 48 over roads that I ride all the time on other bikes. I never even thought of this route to be made of bad roads. And yet, the whole time I was thinking about what it must be like to ride a hardtail! I felt every pavement joint and frost heave that I'd never noticed before. I was even bounced out of the seat on more than one occasion.

So, again we go back to the fact that Harley has slammed their latest offerings. I believe that the 48 has something like 1.5" of rear suspension travel. While I have no doubt that there are better shocks out there that can make better use of such limited travel, it still isn't possible to have anywhere near the suspension compliance that a longer travel suspension allows. By raising the bike with longer shocks, I can double the available travel, or more. This increase in travel along with better valving and proper spring rates will allow me to set my suspension up properly for my weight. This will give me not only a much better ride quality but also do a much better job of keeping the tire on the road and allow it to track over bumpy pavement without bouncing and loosing traction. Going over braking bumps leaned over in a turn, on poor suspension can be downright dangerous due to the way it affects the limits of traction.

While the front suspension has a few different dynamics at play, such as braking and such, what I described about the rear is pretty much true of the front as well. I believe that the stock fork travel on the 48 is 2.5". By doing what I plan to do, I will roughly double that. Add the longer travel to the improved damping afforded by the Intiminators, along with proper spring rates, and I'll have more comfort as well as a front tire that tracks better over rough pavement.

All of these improvements cost nothing but money, and the "look" of a slammed bike. And yet, they offer me a much more enjoyable, and safer ride.

Of course this is just my take on it and only matters to me and what I want my bike to do. If you've found happiness in yours with a different set-up, then ROCK ON my friend!

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 08:49 AM
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #2015
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Soooooooo, I heard Harley sold Erik Buell his Buell name back or something like that.
If true, that's good! I sure wish he'd start building Tubers again!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #2016
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
Continue to grind because no very attractive women are buying you neat bikes?

Ziiiiing!!!!................

Now back to the go...........

Scramster
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #2017
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,355
All the thread shitting posts have been punted. And a certain Road Warriors forum gadfly has now been locked out of this forum. You will not see him post in this forum again.

We are here to have fun, exchange ideas and opinions. If your sole purpose here is to be sling mud and make fun of others, we will stop you. This forum isn't all about you... This isn't to say we are all going to sit around the campfire and sing kumbaya.. We welcome spirited debates and varying views of the motorcycles being discussed. However, constantly throwing stones and making fun of others ruins the Road Warriors forum experience for others.

Lastly, remember this: High maintenance inmates get the boot. ADVrider isn't for everyone. If you have nothing positive to contribute, just move on.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #2018
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 769
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #2019
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #2020
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Cool more sportster pics.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #2021
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 237
Back to bidness

You gotta love the Sporty, they're so versatile.

I've been riding my '96 1200S like this for a couple of years.

Finally I got tired of burning my pant legs and not being able to carry anything, so.....
I put the pipes it had when I got it and the mid contols back on, bought a set of gun cases at the local sporting goods shop for $30 and welded up a set of brackets.

At least I can carry a flat tire kit, some tools and have space for a few more things.
Weather's going to be crappy for the next few days, so I'll be making a fender rack for it, too.
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #2022
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969

Those cases are really sharp. I always liked the Dyna cases. I believe they were on police bikes too, with the bar around them.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #2023
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post
You gotta love the Sporty, they're so versatile.

I put the pipes it had when I got it and the mid contols back on, bought a set of gun cases at the local sporting goods shop for $30 and welded up a set of brackets.

any pics of the brackets? looks good with little hard panniers on it
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #2024
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
gusanito, what tank is that on there? I want a larger capacity tank and that looks good.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #2025
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
any pics of the brackets? looks good with little hard panniers on it
Yeah, it looks clean and functional. I'd also like a peek at the brackets and your mounting method. I'll probably use the GS when I need luggage, but ya never know, so I may knock out a set similar to yours for the 48, if I can figure out a clean attachment method that installs and removes easily enough.