Originally Posted by Witness View Post

Nice!!

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #197
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Wanted to resurrect this thread a bit... Added some "goodies" to my motor recently...

Built for "Go-Fast"

Probably gonna swap the tires to something a bit less aggressive now that I've got an Enduro

Aaron from Texas screwed with this post 04-13-2011 at 04:09 PM
Aaron from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #198
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witness View Post

More pics please! Especially a side on view.

That Sporty rocks.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:25 AM   #199
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Wanted to resurrect this thread a bit... Added some "goodies" to my motor recently...

Built for "Go-Fast"

Probably gonna swap the tires to something a bit less aggressive now that I've got an End

Saw the start up vid on XL. How are liking the conversion so far ? By the way,the bike looks and sound great!

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #200
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
Saw the start up vid on XL. How are liking the conversion so far ? By the way,the bike looks and sound great!
So far so good. Gonna take the rocker covers, rocker boxes, cam cover, etc. off tonight to do a quick little inspection. The engine runs strong, and I can't wait to start tuning the EFI... I can tell there is just GOBS of power waiting to be untapped in the higher revs...I am just on the cusp, while trying to be good and keep the RPM's in the break-in range.

For those who want to know, I've now done the 1200 conversion, with the 04+ 1200XL/XB Heads, 10.5:1 forged pistons, .536 SE Cams, and that nice 2-1 pipe you see...

Here's the startup vid wishin4woods was talking about... This was JUST after buttoning everything up, first ever run and 1 minute heat cycle:

Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #201
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
[QUOTE=Kirk the Jerk;1561010

Here's the startup vid wishin4woods was talking about... This was JUST after buttoning everything up, first ever run and 1 minute heat cycle:

[/QUOTE]

Cool scooter with a fine voice.

t.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #202
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
My new-to-me 1200r.
I'm with you, effective Tuesday.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #203
Taarne
Hello World!

Oddometer: 48
Somewhat unexpectedly, I bought a '04 XL1200R today - almost exactly the same I've owned before. Exact same model and year, just a different color :) The deal was too good to pass up, and I've been itching to ride a Harley again. :)

The bike needs a new front tire though. As I understand, the standard size is 100/90 19. I know this is a little subjective, but what do you feel is a good replacement? I'm basically looking for something comparable to PR2. I especially appreciate good grip in the wet, as that's when I'm least confident while driving.

The bike has also sat in a barn over the winter, and has some small spots of surface rust, the worst is the left side middle peg mount. Taking it off, sanding it and repainting isn't really viable currently. I've already given it a generous spraying with WD40, to at least try and stop any further damage. Do you have any tips on how to proceed? Thanks!

Also, the color on the bike is the same as on this: http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...xl1200r008.jpg
It looks surprisingly good in real life, I think I prefer it over black. However, I have no clue what it is called. Do you? :)
Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #204
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Kirk, that is THE coolest Sporty I've seen. What kind of air cleaner is that?

I've got a friend who is looking for something like that. She also has a leak, looks like where the shifter comes out of the primary case. I am going to help her with that, figured I'd have to take the primary case off, but someone on another site said I could replace the seal without taking the cover off. I don't have a shop manual for it, can anyone help me out and let me know if that's the case? Or do I need to open her up?

Also, if she adds an air cleaner like Kirks, does that mean re-jetting? It's a stock exhaust, she just wants a smaller air cleaner that doesn't bump her knee.

Oh, it's a '02 883.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #205
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taarne View Post
Somewhat unexpectedly, I bought a '04 XL1200R today - almost exactly the same I've owned before. Exact same model and year, just a different color :) The deal was too good to pass up, and I've been itching to ride a Harley again. :)

The bike needs a new front tire though. As I understand, the standard size is 100/90 19. I know this is a little subjective, but what do you feel is a good replacement? I'm basically looking for something comparable to PR2. I especially appreciate good grip in the wet, as that's when I'm least confident while driving.

The bike has also sat in a barn over the winter, and has some small spots of surface rust, the worst is the left side middle peg mount. Taking it off, sanding it and repainting isn't really viable currently. I've already given it a generous spraying with WD40, to at least try and stop any further damage. Do you have any tips on how to proceed? Thanks!

Also, the color on the bike is the same as on this: http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...xl1200r008.jpg
It looks surprisingly good in real life, I think I prefer it over black. However, I have no clue what it is called. Do you? :)
Spray it liberally with WD40 and rub with a brass brush. Vinegar is also a good rust remover. Straight vinegar or anything like ketchup with lots of it in there will work as well. Rub with aluminum foil or a brass brush.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #206
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
Spray it liberally with WD40 and rub with a brass brush. Vinegar is also a good rust remover. Straight vinegar or anything like ketchup with lots of it in there will work as well. Rub with aluminum foil or a brass brush.
sounds delicious
plugeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #207
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taarne View Post

The bike needs a new front tire though. As I understand, the standard size is 100/90 19. I know this is a little subjective, but what do you feel is a good replacement? I'm basically looking for something comparable to PR2. I especially appreciate good grip in the wet, as that's when I'm least confident while driving.//
I'm going with Metzeler ME880's.

I'm planning on Ricor Intimnators for the front and already bought a fork brace. Still researching shocks for the back - Ohlins are available, I've also inquired from ELKA and Penske.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #208
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post

I've got a friend who is looking for something like that. She also has a leak, looks like where the shifter comes out of the primary case. I am going to help her with that, figured I'd have to take the primary case off, but someone on another site said I could replace the seal without taking the cover off. I don't have a shop manual for it, can anyone help me out and let me know if that's the case? Or do I need to open her up?

Also, if she adds an air cleaner like Kirks, does that mean re-jetting? It's a stock exhaust, she just wants a smaller air cleaner that doesn't bump her knee.

Oh, it's a '02 883.
It's an NRHS Round Hurricane. Crossroads Performance also makes one.

If you can get that oil seal out while the primary is still on, then more power to ya... But it is a true "oil seal" and is a press fit... I usually use a screwdriver and SLOWLY work it around til' it's seated.

Not too sure about rejetting on the carbed Sporties... mine is EFI.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #209
Richy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post

Oh, it's a '02 883.
Just pry it out carefully like Kirk said, then tap the new one in with a deepwell socket. I've done it a few times. Put a wrap of electrical tape on the shifter shaft splines to protect your new seal.

The jetting will probably be OK with the stock mufflers. If you change them and the a/c, it'll be very lean. If you're comfortable doing it, a 45 low speed jet will help.
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #210
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
My 883 Iron, rethought.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote