Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #2131
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
, but why didn't anybody tell me this before? I sure could have used that a few times.
Almost all bikes used to have throttle tensioners. Sportsters have had them since they went to a quarter turn throttle in 1973.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #2132
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Almost all bikes used to have throttle tensioners. Sportsters have had them since they went to a quarter turn throttle in 1973.
This is my first Harley, and the newest bike I've owned. If any of my old UJMs had throttle tensioners, I certainly didn't know about it.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #2133
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
I replaced the rear supspension of my Sportster (2002 Sportster) with Progressive 13.5" and the front spring with Progressive springs. Made the bike handles so much better.
If you want to make it a lot sharper, raise the fork legs 1/2" up the triple-tree. Mine is an standard '07 - not a lowered one - and has the long RK rear shocks on. Raising the legs is common on VStroms for handling and stability issues, and I tried it on the Sporty more out of curiosity than anything. Works a treat and lightens the feel a lot. Takes about 5 minutes to do, can be done on the side stand, but (carefully) slacken the bolts only enough until the legs just start to move. Tighten the upper bolts first when the levels are correct, then bounce the front suspension a few times and tighten the lower bolts.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #2134
DS Hobo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Rode the 1200S today

I had a 2000 883C before, but this bike I REALLY enjoy.

DS Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #2135
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
I only used (and always used) this throttle tensioner when warming up the bike. Mine was a carb'd Sportster and it always cough when cold. So, every time I started the bike, I turned this tensioner so the engine ran a at a higher rpm than idle, while I put on my jacket, helmet,and gloves. Once I was ready (about a minute), and the engine warm to the touch, I loosened the tensioner and ready to go.
BobPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #2136
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Hobo View Post
Welcome to the club! I will never sell mine. Ever.

And to all you poor FF's that didn't jump on one when they were available, Neener-neener-neener!
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #2137
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

About that throttle tensioner.

I think all Sportsters have a tensioner. I keep mine set to a neutral tension. Easy to open and close. If I let go of the throttle, it will slowly vibrate closed and begin to slow down. Easy to adjust on the fly. Switching between my other bikes with a return spring, I don't even notice the difference. From a safety standpoint, whether you realize it or not, you always manually close your throttle anyway. Also, the Sportster has a bank angle sensor. Meaning, if it tips too far over it will cut out the ignition. So next time you FF's are out for a ride, play with it. I really like mine.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #2138
shupe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
While polishing the chrome for the first time ever, I just noticed that my Nightster has a little star wheel to tighten the throttle down for cruise control. I didn't even know what it was until I played with it a bit. ARRRRRRGGHH!!! I suppose I am pretty happy, but why didn't anybody tell me this before? I sure could have used that a few times.
A little history: From the earliest days of twist grip throttles (before 1910), Harley throttles did not auto-close.
They had a solid (not braided) wire inside the throttle cable housing that ran inside the handlebar.
It pushed or pulled the carb butterfly open, and had to be twisted closed to close it. Otherwise the throttle stayed where it was. By the early 70's the carb had a light return spring but the friction of the solid cable, by design, was too much for the spring to close the throttle.
In 1974 the Feds mandated self closing throttles (and left side shifters, right side rear brake), so H-D complied, but put in the tension screw and it's been there ever since. As stated, adjust it so it keeps the throttle from closing, but not so tight you can't over-ride it and twist the grip. You'll do so not only to close the throttle but the make minor speed adjustments.

"Experience has shown that it is preferable to use a comparatively large
motor running at a moderate speed in preference to a smaller motor running
at high speed."
-Harley-Davidson sales brochure - 1905

shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #2139
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Hobo View Post

Put an 18" on the back, replace the fork oil with 270ml of 20w and raise the forks .7".
You'll be pleasantly surprised!!
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #2140
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
While polishing the chrome for the first time ever, I just noticed that my Nightster has a little star wheel to tighten the throttle down for cruise control. I didn't even know what it was until I played with it a bit. ARRRRRRGGHH!!! I suppose I am pretty happy, but why didn't anybody tell me this before? I sure could have used that a few times.
Wow! Is that what that is? And all this time I thought it was some sort of cable adjustment! I REALLY should read my owner's manual, huh??

But after reading this just now, I went out and played with it a bit... Just seems to make the throttle sticky and sorta notchy to me. I quickly turned it back the other way. IDK, maybe mine's defective or something, but it's not for me.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #2141
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
And to all you poor FF's that didn't jump on one when they were available, Neener-neener-neener!
It was the bike I wanted when I bought my Sportster ... unfortunatelly they didn't sell 1200 S here in Indonesia
BobPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #2142
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Wow! Is that what that is? And all this time I thought it was some sort of cable adjustment! I REALLY should read my owner's manual, huh??

But after reading this just now, I went out and played with it a bit... Just seems to make the throttle sticky and sorta notchy to me. I quickly turned it back the other way. IDK, maybe mine's defective or something, but it's not for me.

I just did a 400 miles highway trip, and had plenty of time to fool around with the thing. I got the hang of it pretty well. I only had a slight issue when a car suddenly decided to merge in front of me, but I forced the throttle closed manually. It definitely saved my hand from getting cramped up. Now I just need something to save my ass. These rear shocks are horrible
Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #2143
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
I just did a 400 miles highway trip, and had plenty of time to fool around with the thing. I got the hang of it pretty well. I only had a slight issue when a car suddenly decided to merge in front of me, but I forced the throttle closed manually. It definitely saved my hand from getting cramped up. Now I just need something to save my ass. These rear shocks are horrible
Yeah, you might as well be on a rigid frame. The Nightster is a great looking bike, but you feel every little pebble you run over with it. If you really want to enjoy riding that bike, put some decent shocks on the rear that have a reasonable amount of travel. It'll gain you some cornering clearance as well. Longer suspension is one of several reasons that my preference in Sporters is a Roadster.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #2144
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
It was the bike I wanted when I bought my Sportster ... unfortunatelly they didn't sell 1200 S here in Indonesia
Ya but don't you folks get all the other great bikes we wish we could have?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #2145
Zanotti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
Finally the roads where dry and clear of salt today. The sun was shining so I took my 2013 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200C Special for a short ride. The very first kilometers. 26 to be exact. What a joy!

I really like this paint color and stripe. It seems to be a European model only? Does anyone know if this available in USA?

Z