Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #2161
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red eyed and Rollin View Post
I have tried this before butnherenwe go again! I am goin to try and buy a new 11 XR today at a local shop. I have read all threads on this bike but any updated info on the bike pros cons would be appreciated. I am a lurker on Xrog forum as well. Thanks! This one may just work.
the XR1200X? I love that bike and would love to have one. Too much coin for me though. Good luck with the purchase, I hope it goes well for you. They should want to deal being a 2011 model.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #2162
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
But how am I supposed to cruise with no hands?
No hands cruising is far too dangerous. Clench yer phone in yer teeth and learn to text with with your tongue. Because my friend, to properly flog a Sportster as it should be ridden really does require two hands.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #2163
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Cool2 Howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
^Welcome tree88! You're fixing the "Super Low"! How's the cornering clearance now? Nice job with the 2-1 exhaust, too.
There were 4 reasons I bought the superlow, and none of em was the ride height lol

The biggest reason was radial size tires and increased trail in the front end (forks unique to the model)

In stock form the cornering clearance.... well... it wasn't. with my big *ss on it (6'8", 300ish lbs) anything over 20mph was scrape city.

So I added the 14.25" 412's, but changed the springs to 300/350lb dual rates (I ride 2 up alot), and the stiffer fork springs with an extra 2" of preload. It now rides like a really sporty 3/4ton truck, The tires were chosen for the load rating (79) alone- I am sure there are taller 17's out there. With all those changes, It now has more than ample cornering clearance (I have about 3/8" of chicken strip on the rear tire, and nothing has ever drug)

The exhaust was an Ebay stop-gap that I put on because the pipes I had were way too loud, But I have decided to keep it lol.

The rear brake linkage did require modification for adequate belt clearance- I used flat plate and longer bolts to space it down 1/4" so the belt wouldn't make contact. I also had to slot the two upper (rear) bolt holes about 1/8".

Another thing to check for is belt to pulley cover clearance- with the shocks I have, I have only got about 1/4" up there. If you are running a lowered front end (any of the "low or hugger" model) You may want to invest in the longer roadster damper rods (all the fork tubes are the same length) or a steering damper. The standard sportster narrow glide and mid glide forks have more offset, and when you raise the rear up that far (13" or more on the shocks) with a short front end, Stupidity, wobbles, and head-shake have been known to happen.there is a "sticky" on the xl forum (7 pages of suspension) that details all of this pretty well.

If only my paycheck-to-free time ratio was correct...

tree88 screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 01:21 PM Reason: forgot something
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #2164
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
The rear brake linkage did require modification for adequate belt clearance- I used flat plate and longer bolts to space it down 1/4" so the belt wouldn't make contact. I also had to slot the two upper (rear) bolt holes about 1/8".

Another thing to check for is belt to pulley cover clearance- with the shocks I have, I have only got about 1/4" up there. If you are running a lowered front end (any of the "low or hugger" model) You may want to invest in the longer roadster damper rods (all the fork tubes are the same length) or a steering damper. The standard sportster narrow glide and mid glide forks have more offset, and when you raise the rear up that far (13" or more on the shocks) with a short front end, Stupidity, wobbles, and head-shake have been known to happen.there is a "sticky" on the xl forum (7 pages of suspension) that details all of this pretty well.

If only my paycheck-to-free time ratio was correct...
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I believe that it was in the "7 pages of suspension" that I read about the 13.5" shock limit. And it sounds as if that may be accurate, without modification. I guess the thing to do will be to lift the bike, remove the shocks, and move the swingarm to various positions to check for interference problems at the max extension allowed by the different shock lengths. I'll look at the rear brake master cylinder arrangement too, and see if I can visualize what you did to correct it. I do plan to raise the front at the same time on mine, as well as get a longer "jiffy" stand.

That reminds me... Where did the term "jiffy stand" come from? I'd never encountered it until entering the H-D world a few months ago. Side stand, kick stand, and a couple other terms that I forget atm, yeah, but, never heard of a "jiffy stand" before.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #2165
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
OK, below's a photo of my setup. The rear shocks measure exactly 15" center of bolt to center of bolt with no load on the bike. In that state, the drive belt just rests on the rear master cylinder (which has not been modified). As soon as I sit on the bike, there's plenty of clearance between the belt and the master cylinder, looks like 1/2" or more. The bike has now done 6500 miles and the belt is still the original belt and shows no signs of wear.

Cornering clearance is beyond my capabilities and probably beyond the stock tire's capabilities...

So don't worry too much about 13.5" vs. 14.25" - you'll be fine. Remember though that you can't use the stock specs for belt tension with longer shocks. The belt needs to be very slack because it will tension when you get on the bike.

hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #2166
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
OK, below's a photo of my setup. The rear shocks measure exactly 15" center of bolt to center of bolt with no load on the bike. In that state, the drive belt just rests on the rear master cylinder (which has not been modified). As soon as I sit on the bike, there's plenty of clearance between the belt and the master cylinder, looks like 1/2" or more. The bike has now done 6500 miles and the belt is still the original belt and shows no signs of wear.

Cornering clearance is beyond my capabilities and probably beyond the stock tire's capabilities...

So don't worry too much about 13.5" vs. 14.25" - you'll be fine.
Hmmm... More conflicting info... I'd rather have plenty of clearance since I don't want to chance belt contact at times when the rear suspension tops out and goes to full extension while riding. Plus, when you run the belt loose the bottom run isn't under tension and can oscillate up and down a bit with various throttle inputs. But, if you're not having issues with 15" shocks then I wouldn't think the 360mm Ohlins would present a problem either since they are actually a little less than 14 3/16" eye to eye. Still though, I think before I place an order and drop the coin I'll put mine on a lift and take some measurements to make sure what I get will be within my own comfort range.

Quote:
Remember though that you can't use the stock specs for belt tension with longer shocks. The belt needs to be very slack because it will tension when you get on the bike.

Yeah, I explained the belt tension issue in some detail back earlier in this thread, HERE. But, it is worth pointing out again since it can cause serious wear and/or damage for those that aren't aware of it.

Thanks for the additional input.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #2167
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Hmmm... More conflicting info... I'd rather have plenty of clearance since I don't want to chance belt contact at times when the rear suspension tops out and goes to full extension while riding. Plus, when you run the belt loose the bottom run isn't under tension and can oscillate up and down a bit with various throttle inputs.
As I said, 6,500 miles with no signs of the belt being in touch with the rear master cylinder while riding. And we're talking California roads here...
Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #2168
tree88
Adventurer

Cool2 where mine rubbed

was between the bellcrank (lever that actuates the master cylinder) and the belt. if the above poster doesn't mind, he can post a shot of the right side of the bike where the belt passes by the bellcrank, and i will do the same tomorrow (the pics wouldn't come out tonight, too dark). mine being a 2012 might be different, dunno for sure.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #2169
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
was between the bellcrank (lever that actuates the master cylinder) and the belt. if the above poster doesn't mind, he can post a shot of the right side of the bike where the belt passes by the bellcrank, and i will do the same tomorrow (the pics wouldn't come out tonight, too dark). mine being a 2012 might be different, dunno for sure.
Yeah, I was wondering about possible differences between the years and models of bikes as well. Mine's a 2013 and I've never compared the master cylinder, bellcrank, or pedal linkage between my bike and others. Could it be that since the Roadster originally had longer shocks it is set up slightly different in that area? I crawled around under mine a bit earlier tonight and I'd be curious to see how it's all set up on the Roadster, just to compare. I'd also like to see how you spaced yours to allow more belt clearance. When you described it earlier my mind's eye thought I knew what you did. But, when I looked at mine more closely I couldn't see how it worked.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #2170
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Happy to do that but I may not be able to take a photo until Saturday - let me see how I go tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #2171
tree88
Adventurer

Wink awesome,

Quote:
Happy to do that but I may not be able to take a photo until Saturday - let me see how I go tomorrow.
we keep going at this rate, we might learn somethin lol

btw- this is kinda weird for me- posted a pic of my bike, and nobody has slammed it for having a comfortable seat, suspension travel, or cornering clearance....

tree88 screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 07:17 PM Reason: forgot to be a smart*ss
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #2172
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
we keep going at this rate, we might learn somethin lol

btw- this is kinda weird for me- posted a pic of my bike, and nobody has slammed it for having a comfortable seat, suspension travel, or cornering clearance....
Well, I don't like to put anyone's "thang" down, and I know there are different tastes and priorities when it comes to bikes. But, this forum tends to have more "real riders" than some of the more H-D specific places I've experienced. Not that there aren't real riders there too, but the ratio is much higher here, in my experience. For example, here we are, talking about modifying our low bikes to improve cornering clearance, and I couldn't count the number of times I've read about people LOWERING Nighsters, 72's and 48's over on xlforum. I just don't get it. Seems to be a good bunch over there too, but just of a different mindset I guess. Function seems to take a backseat to form in other places. Here, for the most part, function trumps form.

Welcome to Advrider, btw!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #2173
DS Hobo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Hey sloryder

I just bought this bike and as far as I know they are the stock shocks from Harley for the 1200S model. I will take a closer look at them and let you know what I find out.
DS Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #2174
tree88
Adventurer

Talking thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Well, I don't like to put anyone's "thang" down, and I know there are different tastes and priorities when it comes to bikes. But, this forum tends to have more "real riders" than some of the more H-D specific places I've experienced. Not that there aren't real riders there too, but the ratio is much higher here, in my experience. For example, here we are, talking about modifying our low bikes to improve cornering clearance, and I couldn't count the number of times I've read about people LOWERING Nighsters, 72's and 48's over on xlforum. I just don't get it. Seems to be a good bunch over there too, but just of a different mindset I guess. Function seems to take a backseat to form in other places. Here, for the most part, function trumps form.

Welcome to Advrider, btw!

most all of the bikes over there look awesome, but I need functional transportation lol. I have the typical "bar hopper" sitting in the garage- there is a reason it lost it's slot as the day to day ride. I wonder if other makes have the same issues with "fashion police" ?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #2175
tree88
Adventurer

Cool2 as promised-

belt to bellcrank clearance

closeup of above

belt to pulley cover clearance

holes that must be slotted (and half the thickness of the bottom spacer put behind ie: 1/4" in down will require 1/8" of spacers to get the bolts to tighten correctly)

you can just make out the 1/8" of washers behind the bracket.