Old 03-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #2221
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
Yep.
You are nuts. The 883 is as heavy as the 1200, but with far less power.
I have often thought that HD only build it for the Midlife Crisis People. You know:
"Ive worked all my life!/Done nothing but bring up kids! Never had no fun! I'm gonna get a motorbike! A Harley!"
(But later: "Yes a Harley, but the smallest one")
But I think the 1200 conversion should not invalidate your warranty.
Rob
yes the harley 883 is the least powerful, but the fuel injected ones arent exactly slouches- mine makes 57hp- with a quiet pipe and moco air filter.

As long as the parts are installed by a dealer, the warranty on all parts and accessories is 2yrs, and will not void your powertrain warranty.

In the grand scheme of things, any sportster is a pretty good choice- It is always more fun to ride a slow bike fast than vice-versa.

And screw the whole "smallest one" noise. If you like it,and it suits you- buy it. F*ck the harley haters, and fashion police.
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #2222
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
yes the harley 883 is the least powerful, but the fuel injected ones arent exactly slouches- mine makes 57hp- with a quiet pipe and moco air filter.

As long as the parts are installed by a dealer, the warranty on all parts and accessories is 2yrs, and will not void your powertrain warranty.

In the grand scheme of things, any sportster is a pretty good choice- It is always more fun to ride a slow bike fast than vice-versa.

And screw the whole "smallest one" noise. If you like it,and it suits you- buy it. F*ck the harley haters, and fashion police.
But why buy the 883 then punch it out to 1200? Mine was an 883, and the first owner had it bored out to 1200. I never understood why he did that.

It's a great bike! It just passed the 200 000 km mark and I did about 190 000 of those. It is reliable, economical and comfortable.

Fast? Fast enough. Just check the demerit points on my Driver's Licence...

Rob
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #2223
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,452
First I wanted a 1200R, they dropped that one. Next I wanted a 1200 Nightster, then the ass holes, um, er design team at the MOCO dropped that one. The IRON is the last of the "standards". News flash! Not everybody wants forward controls....that said, I really LIKE the look of the 72!
Anybody know any left over Nightsters out there?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #2224
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
First I wanted a 1200R, they dropped that one. Next I wanted a 1200 Nightster, then the ass holes, um, er design team at the MOCO dropped that one. The IRON is the last of the "standards". News flash! Not everybody wants forward controls....that said, I really LIKE the look of the 72!
Lyle
Yeah, they dropped the 1200R. I sometimes wonder what the design staff are drinking. I too, like the 72. As it is I cannot sell my aging 883/1200 because I would just have to build up another one for my own delight.
Rob
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #2225
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Not everybody wants forward controls...
Lyle
You're right, but it seems that the overwhelming number of people do. But, I didn't like the forwards either. Knew before I even got the bike (48) that I'd switch to mids. $65 from a member on xlforum (came off his Nightster), and an hour or so spinning wrenches and I have mids. Can sell the forwards for more than I paid for the mids too... Next up is the suspension... increasing the travel to that of the Roadster, along with other upgrades, to increase cornering clearance as well as improve ride quality...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 03:33 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #2226
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Okay, so I really like the Iron 883.
Question: If I have it made into a 1200 before I even pick it up (new from a dealer) by the dealer, am I risking warrantee? How would it compare with a factory 1200? And lastly, cost? Am I nuts here? Thanks
Lyle
I test rode the 48 and the Iron back to back. Other than the mids on the Iron I much preferred the 48. The gearing is shorter on the Iron, so it wasn't bad at lower speeds, but it did run out of steam faster.

One of the great things about the Sportster is the parts interchangeability and adaptability. Pick a bike from '04 and up and you can pretty much mix and match parts to build what you want out of it, within reason of course....

Ask your dealer about how the warranty would be affected... I have no idea what the cost difference would be, but I'd say that if you pay the dealer to turn an Iron into a 1200, plus change the gearing to suit, etc. it'd end up being more expensive than buying a 1200 to start with. If you like the 48 or 72, just get one. You can always swap the controls, tanks, seats, etc, and probably sell your originals for more than the cost of the replacements. Lots of parts out there on xlforum and ebay.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 03-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #2227
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Cool2 Because of the moco has decided to axe the choice

Quote:
But why buy the 883 then punch it out to 1200? Mine was an 883, and the first owner had it bored out to 1200. I never understood why he did that.

It's a great bike! It just passed the 200 000 km mark and I did about 190 000 of those. It is reliable, economical and comfortable.

Fast? Fast enough. Just check the demerit points on my Driver's Licence...

Rob
because some features (fenders, front ends, controls) are only offered on the 883, and the least expensive route is to get the parts you want is to buy the smaller engine and upgrade it. the nightster is no longer in production- so if you want a new 1200 in a nightster package- you can buy a 48, change out the triple trees, tank, fender, and wheels... or buy an iron and do the conversion.

It's no longer the case that you can get the 883 or 1200 with any configuration. and I am pretty sure the reason behind this is the moco hopes to drive parts sales up.
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #2228
Red eyed and Rollin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Sporty

Quote:
Yep.
You are nuts. The 883 is as heavy as the 1200, but with far less power.
I have often thought that HD only build it for the Midlife Crisis People. You know:
"Ive worked all my life!/Done nothing but bring up kids! Never had no fun! I'm gonna get a motorbike! A Harley!"
(But later: "Yes a Harley, but the smallest one")
But I think the 1200 conversion should not invalidate your warranty.
Rob
This is exactly what happened to me! For years I wanted a black Sportster, I bought a rubber mounted base 883 in 2004. I loved it and had a ton of FUN. Bought into the bigger is better nonsense for a few years and had a few baggers. Great bikes but fun? No no no. Just bought a new 11 XR 1200 X. Sportsters rule.
Red eyed and Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #2229
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 440
Cool2

XR's, the one "True Sportster"
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #2230
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 395
Yep, love me a XR

Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #2231
Red eyed and Rollin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
Yep, love me a XR

Do you have the small windshield on the ride. Very nice what kind of exhaust??
Still have snow on the ground. Springs a comin
Red eyed and Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #2232
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Lyle

i hear ya :)

good thing i picked my 1200 roadster in 2005 :)

i hate forward controls
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #2233
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
There are those who do want what most everyone here calls forward controls. To me they are mid controls. They are positioned where the rider has about a 90 degree bend in their knees, kind of like sitting in a chair. To me, forward controls are several inches forward of that, and rearsets are backward a few inches, where the riders legs are folded up under them. I cannot handle that type of controls, they cause me severe leg cramps and numbness.

So is there anyone on here who likes/owns/rides Sportsters with a standard upright riding position, mid mounted pegs with bars high enough to reach while still having a bend in your elbows? I find myself getting closer and closer to buying a Sportster, mostly because I like the looks and especially the engine. I am NOT looking for a sport bike, but I'm not looking for a chopper either. And I have no interest in chrome, skulls, ape hangers, or handlebar fringe. Not looking to be a pretend pirate. Lots of black would be great.

Basically I just want a bike to ride around locally on, not long distances. I am looking for the Harley experience on a budget. I have 500-600 miles on a couple of 883 Sportsters and really liked them. For what I want, will an 883 work fine, or is a 1200 a lot better. I notice used prices are about the same. I am looking to spend $6000-$7000 from a private seller. I want a comfortable seat, backrest and luggage rack, and also some sensible pipes that are not too loud, but that still let you hear that wonderful sound Sportsters make. I also want cast wheels and tubeless tires so I won't get stranded by a flat.

So I guess the main question I have is, should I be looking at both 883s and 1200s, or is one way better? I've never ridden a 1200, so I don't know how much difference there is. I know an 883 can be converted to a 1200, so I'm assuming the bottom ends are the same. Would appreciate any and all advice, but again, not interested in a sport bike.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #2234
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
There are those who do want what most everyone here calls forward controls. To me they are mid controls.
Here's a pic of my bike when I got it... It has forward controls here.

This position doesn't allow a 90 degree bend in the knees for me. It makes me reach my feet "forward". I felt like a taco shell reaching forward for the bars and forward for the pegs, like I was trying to touch my toes or something. Put a strain in my lower back and shoulders, as well as concentrating all of my weight on my tailbone, and put my hips at a weird angle.

And here's the same bike after I installed mid controls...

Typical rearsets will place the pegs somewhere around or to the rear of the countershaft cover and beneath the seat.

I found the forwards uncomfortable for several reasons, but the mids solved them and are much more neutral and natural to me. This put me more in an upright position instead of slouched over. It rotated my hips so that the stock seat that everyone complains about, actually became fairly comfortable, and it made the reach to the bars much more natural. All in all, the forwards felt weird and the mids just feel "right".

I test rode an 883 Iron and my bike (1200) (or one exactly like it anyway) back to back. The gearing on the 883 is lower, so around town and at lower speeds, it wasn't bad. But, it did run out of steam quicker and I much preferred the 1200.

Personally I can't see the rationale for buying an 883. They weigh the same, but the 1200 has the better engine. Unless I was to find a screaming deal on an 883 and saved MORE than enough to upgrade it to 1200 spec, I'd just opt for the 1200 to begin with.

Comfortable seat, backrest and luggage rack will have you looking to the aftermarket. But, there are tons of options available. Pipes are the same. Tons available. Some obnoxious, some mellow. Just do some research over on xlforum, or better yet, go to a bike event where you can actually hear a bunch of pipes for yourself.

Randy screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 10:29 PM
Old 03-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #2235
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,333
Yes, the bottom end of the motors are the same. However, the 883 comes from the factory with lower gearing than the 1200. So if you convert an 883, you still don't end up with the same package as a motor that started out as a 1200. I'm just the opposite from you as I've never ridden an 883, so I can't tell you what the difference is.

I will say that you shouldn't need to spend $6-7K to buy a good used Sportster. It's true that a lot of them are advertised in that range, but if you look for awhile, you can easily find them for $5-6k. I bought my Roadster last year for $4300 with only 3750 miles. There are good deals out there, it just takes patience and diligence to find them.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote