Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #2236
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Here's a pic of my bike when I got it... It has forward controls here.

This position doesn't allow a 90 degree bend in the knees for me. It makes me reach my feet "forward". I felt like a taco shell reaching forward for the bars and forward for the pegs, like I was trying to touch my toes or something. Put a strain in my lower back and shoulders, as well as concentrating all of my weight on my tailbone, and put my hips at a weird angle.

And here's the same bike after I installed mid controls...

Typical rearsets will place the pegs somewhere around or to the rear of the countershaft cover and beneath the seat.

I found the forwards uncomfortable for several reasons, but the mids solved them and are much more neutral and natural to me. This put me more in an upright position instead of slouched over. It rotated my hips so that the stock seat that everyone complains about, actually became fairly comfortable, and it made the reach to the bars much more natural. All in all, the forwards felt weird and the mids just feel "right".

I test rode an 883 Iron and my bike (1200) (or one exactly like it anyway) back to back. The gearing on the 883 is lower, so around town and at lower speeds, it wasn't bad. But, it did run out of steam quicker and I much preferred the 1200.

Personally I can't see the rationale for buying an 883. They weigh the same, but the 1200 has the better engine. Unless I was to find a screaming deal on an 883 and saved MORE than enough to upgrade it to 1200 spec, I'd just opt for the 1200 to begin with.

Comfortable seat, backrest and luggage rack will have you looking to the aftermarket. But, there are tons of options available. Pipes are the same. Tons available. Some obnoxious, some mellow. Just do some research over on xlforum, or better yet, go to a bike event where you can actually hear a bunch of pipes for yourself.

That's a nice looking bike, and the second picture does have what I call mid controls. Most everybody here calls them feet forward. Supposedly the riding position of a "standard" bike has somehow "changed" over the years, and what used to be standard is now feet forward, and the new standard is rearsets and low bars, what used to be a "sport" riding position. Very confusing, and I don't know where it came from.

Anyway, those feet forward controls are uncomfortable, unless you have a really good seat, higher pull back bars, and a riders backrest. When you have back support, and the bars come back to meet your hands, it's like riding a recliner on wheels. Your weight is mostly on the seat and your backrest, just like sitting in a car. You don't have good control that way, but it's great fro racking up miles on the interstate. I have a bike set up that way. But I want the Sportster for more local riding, just to feel the vibrations and the torque, and listen to that wonderful sound. I've spent too much time on bikes that were too smooth, to quiet, and didn't have much torque.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #2237
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Love the Forty-Eight, not a fan of forward controls.

I asked a Harley dealer in Colorado if they could swap out for mid controls and they said it couldn't be done. Due to the new engine configuration. Salesman actually went and got the service manager. It looks like the guy lost a sale, because he was clueless or just lazy.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #2238
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

So is there anyone on here who likes/owns/rides Sportsters with a standard upright riding position, mid mounted pegs with bars high enough to reach while still having a bend in your elbows?

Yes. I think you are describing an XL1200R, which Harley no longer makes. I put a Sundowner seat and Leatherpro's saddlebags on mine and can pretty much be comfortable on it all day.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #2239
scooterintexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by zataomm View Post
Yes. I think you are describing an XL1200R, which Harley no longer makes. I put a Sundowner seat and Leatherpro's saddlebags on mine and can pretty much be comfortable on it all day.

Nice bike. Do you have more photos?
scooterintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #2240
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Eh? there is a photo of mine a couple pages back( post 2151)

basically what you described- I bought an 883l and modified the suspension. the riding position is pretty much "standard" - I do not like the forwards that come on sportsters as they are not far enough forward for my legs (36" inseam), the mids are perfect. I changed the bars to biltwell chumps- they are the same rise as the factory bars, but with alot less pullback. other things to keep in mind if you go this route- the factory rear views are useless, unless all you want to see is your shoulders, and a tach is not standard equipment. I hope this helps.
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #2241
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
Love the Forty-Eight, not a fan of forward controls.

I asked a Harley dealer in Colorado if they could swap out for mid controls and they said it couldn't be done. Due to the new engine configuration. Salesman actually went and got the service manager. It looks like the guy lost a sale, because he was clueless or just lazy.
Your salesman and sales manager are not too informed about their product then. When I took my test rides last November, I didn't think I'd like the forwards either. In fact that's the only reason I tested the Iron, just to see the difference. And sure enough, I found the Iron to be instantly more natural. I mentioned it several times to the salesman and he never once offered that they could be swapped out. The only thing he said was that the forwards were more comfortable... Everyone likes forwards better. Of course in the course of the discussion I learned that he had never ridden with anything other than forward controls. A little research on xlforum showed me that they could be swapped though, so I pretty much had that in my mind before ever getting the bike. I did ride with the forwards for a bit first, just to make sure that all my years of riding other bikes hadn't created the "illusion" that forwards were just wrong. Didn't take long though... Once I did the swap, I took it for a little test and instantly, I was like, "OH YEAH!" Much better position, in every way, for me.

Everything is the same except for the control mounts, brake linkage and pedal on the right, and the shift pedal and linkage on the left. Mids are all over ebay since a lot of people convert their Irons, Nightsers, etc. to forwards. I looked on ebay and saw several sets of mids go for around $100. Being a cheap ass, I posted to the xlforum's WTB thread, and within a day I had an offer from a member that had did the opposite swap on his Nightster. I paid $65 shipped for the parts to do the swap that you see in the pics above. I've since changed the pegs themselves, but essentially I have what is in that last pic. It's a very simple bolt off, bolt on swap too.

Here's a couple of pics showing the difference on the left side:

With forwards,

and with mids,

That last pic also shows the pegs that I have currently.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #2242
Trail Runner

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
So is there anyone on here who likes/owns/rides Sportsters with a standard upright riding position, mid mounted pegs with bars high enough to reach while still having a bend in your elbows?

Sportsters make. I also want cast wheels and tubeless tires so I won't get stranded by a flat.
http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/sit...019-09-xr-1200
10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #2243
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,338
On the matter of forward controls....one thing they are just great at, is when you duck paddling backwards into a parking spot, the pegs don't beet the shit out of your shins. I found this to be a great help. I got used to riding with them after a few miles as well. They jus are not designed for major work in the twisties.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #2244
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterintexas View Post
Nice bike. Do you have more photos?
Sure do. PM me your e-mail and I will send.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #2245
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
Quote:
There are those who do want what most everyone here calls forward controls. To me they are mid controls. They are positioned where the rider has about a 90 degree bend in their knees, kind of like sitting in a chair. To me, forward controls are several inches forward of that, and rearsets are backward a few inches, where the riders legs are folded up under them. I cannot handle that type of controls, they cause me severe leg cramps and numbness.

So is there anyone on here who likes/owns/rides Sportsters with a standard upright riding position, mid mounted pegs
Still confused I see. Now you are confusing Standard peg position with Rear Sets.

You are right that mids equal a chair. Back a few inches from that is a Standard. (Bar Stool) Rear -Sets are Up and back from that... Like what you find on a Super Sport Bike.

This is what you are looking for Jerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zataomm View Post

Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #2246
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,285
Jerry

I agree with the others, try to find a XL1200 Roadster or if you want a little more performance with standard pegs as Dakez described look into a XR1200.

I picked up my 09 XR for $7k last Sept and looks like prices have come down a little since then.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #2247
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's a nice looking bike, and the second picture does have what I call mid controls. Most everybody here calls them feet forward. Supposedly the riding position of a "standard" bike has somehow "changed" over the years, and what used to be standard is now feet forward, and the new standard is rearsets and low bars, what used to be a "sport" riding position. Very confusing, and I don't know where it came from.
Thanks!

But, on the forwards vs mids... The terminology is mainly applicable in the world of the Sportster. It's not just here that people refer to them with this nomenclature. The modern Sportster has two peg configurations, mids and forwards. The frames have two mounting points, and there are factory available parts designed for each. Outside of that, there are aftermarket parts that allow a rearset position, and I believe that there may be a more forward aftermarket set of forward controls although I'm not too up on that. There are different types of aftermarket rearsets available that place the feet in slightly different postions, but basically the term "rearset" is used to describe a peg location to the rear of the factory available "mid" position.

When you move away from Sportster Land, all bets are off. The "standard" peg position can mean a lot of different things on different bikes and to different people. I consider my R1150GS to be a "standard" as far as ergonomics goes, but it does have pegs that are further back than the mids on the Sportster. Then there's my RZ350 which I believe are further rearward still, yet many would still consider the seating position to be that of a "standard". Same goes for my CB400F. And then there's my Buell S1 and my Ducati, which both have rearsets. I also have a set of aftermarket rearsets for the Buell that move the peg location up and back in relation to the stock rearset position although I've never mounted them because the stockers are high and reaward enough for me.

To me, the most comfortable peg position is on my GS or my KTM 640. But, I'm not too sure how that would translate to the low seat configuration of the Sportster. If you stretch out the distance between the seat and pegs, like on those two bikes, it then becomes possible to move the pegs rearward to a better control position without getting things too cramped. The obsession with low seat height with so many cruiser people really hinders what will work on a Sportster though. I read all the time about people worring about putting longer shocks on their Sportster because they're concerned about losing the low seat height. In some cases it's just a cosmetic thing to them, but with a large number it's more about the actual seat height itself. I don't get that personally. Hell, I'm only 5'7" and ride a KTM with a 37" seat, and my GS is a tall heavy bike and I don't have a problem with either of them. My Sportster feels like a midget bike by comparison.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 06:02 AM
Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #2248
tennmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
1200r owner

I bought a 2004 1200R and I,ve kept it for 5yrs, a record for me. I love it. It is the best sportster HD ever made. Great for Zen riding on 2 lane roads and it has 30k miles with no issues,a real keeper. I have been to the dealers many times and could never bring myself to trade up cause i love it too much.
tennmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #2249
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
o is there anyone on here who likes/owns/rides Sportsters with a standard upright riding position
installed midpegs on my 48 too. The forwards were hurting my back and never really got to like them. Ofcourse the dealership was like "people want them for comfort", but naah... this feels so much better.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #2250
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
installed midpegs on my 48 too. The forwards were hurting my back and never really got to like them. Ofcourse the dealership was like "people want them for comfort", but naah... this feels so much better.
My experience exactly. I know that people are different, but honestly, I don't get the whole, "forwards are more comfortable" thing. I heard it from my salesman, and then he admitted to not ever riding with mids. I could see it if you have really long legs or knee issues that prevent bending them to 90*, but for me at least, it disagreed with the rest of the body. Maybe if you used a back rest and cushy seat even, but I much prefer a more active riding style and don't think it would feel right reclining that way. Then again, I hate the slab and spend all my time on two lane back roads, the curvier the better.

With that said, it may be possible I'll install some "highway pegs" just so I can change my position and stretch my legs out occasionally on longer rides. I know that sometimes on really long rides (8+ hours) on my GS, my knees will start to ache a bit. I've thought about putting some highway pegs on it but generally just rest my ankles on the jugs instead. But for the controls and pegs, I want them farther back in the mid or "standard" position for everyday riding.