User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #2266
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
You mentioned "jiffystand", and since you worked at a H-D dealership maybe you can explain where that term comes from. I'd never heard it until I entered the H-D world.
I would too... Thats the most hilarious term used for kickstand imho.

As for riding long distance with a sportster, I dont see the problem there, I dont need a bigger bike to ride long distance. WIth the 48 you'd just have to stop for gas often.

Imho, forward pegs/highway pegs are useless riding on the slab. Wind tends to try to lift your feet of the pegs, so you're basically doing one massive ab crunch all the way with them. I did 100mph with my sportster regularly riding to work, I suspect midpegs dominate here too.

Only negative thing about them is that they're wider than the forward pegs, so theoretically your lean angle would be even less with them rather than with the forward pegs.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #2267
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,976
See the stand on this VL? It took strength,time and the right location to put the bike on it.

With the side mounted "jiffy stand" you simply pulled up and slid the stand out and parked the bike. Much quicker and easier.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #2268
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
See the stand on this VL? It took strength,time and the right location to put the bike on it.

With the side mounted "jiffy stand" you simply pulled up and slid the stand out and parked the bike. Much quicker and easier.

Lol! Believe it or not, as I was reading Tepi's reply above, I was having a vague recollection of seeing those rear mounted "centerstands" on older bikes and thinking that "Jiffy stand" was probably a marketing term Harley coined way back when...

"See the new H-D, featuring the revolutionary Jiffy Stand.... it makes parking up your bike a "Jiffy" compared to our competitors old fashioned parking stands."

With Harley's unwavering reluctance to let go of its "tradition", I guess they just cling to that old term much like they do to some of their old, outdated "traditional" design choices.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #2269
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Just sounds so redneck, "jiffy"... kinda like jiffylube, "they'll finish the oil change in a jiffy"...
Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #2270
scooterintexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt joker View Post
I just got a pair of sport shocks for mine as well. Working on getting them dialed in.

Sweet ride. What year is that, and what kind of seat is it?
scooterintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #2271
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Eh? I don't know if a 37" inseam qualifies as long legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
... I could see it if you have really long legs or knee issues that prevent bending them to 90*...

but that's what I am workin with lol, and the mid controls were a huge reason why i bought mine. The forward controls are too high and way too close for my tastes- just like the rest of harley's products. If it were possible I would actually move mine back and down 2" to straighten my legs a touch. I am good enough though, that I am not gonna fool with em. I really wish they still built bikes for tall guys....
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #2272
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Just sounds so redneck,

GEESH! We are talking about the same bikes, right? Maybe THAT'S the real reason the term has stuck around all these years...

Hang around most any H-D dealership or hangout and you will quickly get your fill of rednecks! Sorry, I hate to stereotype but it is true....
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #2273
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
but that's what I am workin with lol, and the mid controls were a huge reason why i bought mine. The forward controls are too high and way too close for my tastes- just like the rest of harley's products. If it were possible I would actually move mine back and down 2" to straighten my legs a touch. I am good enough though, that I am not gonna fool with em. I really wish they still built bikes for tall guys....
Yeah, I'd say that would qualify. Maybe H-D doesn't, but have you looked at a GS Adventure?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #2274
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Wow, I step out for a pee -

Quote:
How does that air filter do in the rain? The rear half of the stock "airbox" is under my knee, kind of detracts from the whole slimness of the bike. I thought about something like that but I ride in the rain and I was concerned about it sucking in a lot of water.
I got tired of knocking my knee on the spam can stock filter cover. I always felt a little cocked too. After putting the FW on I still felt a little cocked - it's the footpegs and the clutch hump now.

Anyways, I did ride into (stupidly I guess) a really strong mountain thunderstorm and after a few minutes the engine started missing. It didn't die thank goodness and after a minute or so out of the rain it ran as normal. Was it water going into the intake? I DON'T KNOW!

Quote:
I mean, I can understand razor sharp, track weapon handling not being a first priority, but all else being equal, a well handling bike is so much more enjoyable to ride everywhere and all the time. Having owned 46 bikes I would have figured you would have discovered that by now.
Maybe JerryH has figured out something you have not.
Do you own a Sportster? I doubt you'd go off like this if you did or had. The same lack of understanding might be demonstrated with Airhead BMW's, bigtwin HD, practically any old Brit bike, a few old Jap bikes, etc, etc, etc. The bikes do what they do. the handling may not be "good" in a modern sense but * its good enough * and the bikes have their charm. When you've owned a lot of bikes from different eras you understand, appreciate, and accept what they are.

A Sportster is what it is, a honest motorcycle with relaxed geometry, not the stiffest frame, heavy wheels, and a pretty satisfying engine. It does OK, can be ridden pretty fast if you don't mind some wiggling around, It does best going a natural pace, which for me is a lot faster than a car on a mountain road and somewhat slower than 80mph traffic on the freeway. It's a throwback to another time.

2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #2275
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,798
I have ridden Sportsters. Their handling is not bad at all in large sweeping curves at reasonable speeds. In fact they are quite fun being ridden like that. Despite being small, they feel completely planted, almost like a locomotive in curves. But something that would be at home on a track is absolutely not what I want. I want a nice relaxing ride, at slower speeds, no serious pressure points, something to do nothing but ride down the road on. I am happy to let the bike set the limits, I have no desire to push limits. I am too old and in to much pain for that. I also have a bad back, along with every other kind of orthopedic problem possible, but I still want character, which for me is mostly the shaking and noise that a Sportster makes. My old Triumph shook like crazy and made lots of noise, but it also kept falling apart. With the Sportster it looks like I can get the feel and sound, but have reliability as well. And for a very reasonable price used.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #2276
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post

Maybe JerryH has figured out something you have not.
Do you own a Sportster? I doubt you'd go off like this if you did or had.
Umm... Yes I do own a Sportster.

Quote:
The same lack of understanding might be demonstrated with Airhead BMW's, bigtwin HD, practically any old Brit bike, a few old Jap bikes, etc, etc, etc. The bikes do what they do. the handling may not be "good" in a modern sense but * its good enough * and the bikes have their charm. When you've owned a lot of bikes from different eras you understand, appreciate, and accept what they are.

A Sportster is what it is, a honest motorcycle with relaxed geometry, not the stiffest frame, heavy wheels, and a pretty satisfying engine. It does OK, can be ridden pretty fast if you don't mind some wiggling around, It does best going a natural pace, which for me is a lot faster than a car on a mountain road and somewhat slower than 80mph traffic on the freeway. It's a throwback to another time.
And after riding for over 35 years, and owning and riding quite a few different styles of bikes from different eras, I still have a problem with a blanket statement like, "I don't care about handling". Sorry, as I said earlier, to each his own. But, I've ridden otherwise interesting machines that handled poorly and they just are not my cup of tea. But aside from that, specifically what I was referring to is, given a choice between a Sporty that handles well and one that does not, the one that handles good will be a more enjoyable machine to ride, IMO. Miss the analogy, did ya? But my overreaching point is that a Sporty can be made to handle better, and to me that adds another realm of enjoyment to their other attributes that you mentioned. I mean hell, I didn't want a Sporty to compete at the track with, or even try to keep up with Ricky Racer in the mountains on the weekend. No, I bought it for the character of the engine and the more laid back riding style that it encourages and just a certain look and feel that I can't explain other than to say that I LIKED it.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #2277
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Wow, I step out for a pee -

I got tired of knocking my knee on the spam can stock filter cover. I always felt a little cocked too. After putting the FW on I still felt a little cocked - it's the footpegs and the clutch hump now.

Anyways, I did ride into (stupidly I guess) a really strong mountain thunderstorm and after a few minutes the engine started missing. It didn't die thank goodness and after a minute or so out of the rain it ran as normal. Was it water going into the intake? I DON'T KNOW!

Water injection might actually be useful in an aircooled engine, as it reduces combustion chamber temperatures, prevents knocking, and even gives it a nice steam cleaning.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #2278
pvt joker
Latebird

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterintexas View Post
Sweet ride. What year is that, and what kind of seat is it?
Thanks, its an 06 and its a stock seat.
pvt joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #2279
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,798
I am not looking for ape hangers and highway pegs, but I certainly don't want low bars and rearsets either. Two extremes, and neither will work. And it only needs to be able to handle well enough to be able to keep up with cars without any undue effort. I can assure you the tires WILL have "chicken strips" on them
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #2280
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hang around most any H-D dealership or hangout and you will quickly get your fill of rednecks! Sorry, I hate to stereotype but it is true....
YEah man, I bought my bike when the local HOG chapter had a dealership rally (meet? whatever they're called)... I thought I stepped into the set of pirates of the caribbean Took the 48 on a testride with a goretex jacket and fullface helmet (did wear my normal jeans as I came there by car and sneakers), the pirates were in jeans jackets with vests on and asslesschaps and cowboy boots with open face helmets... I did get some strange looks. However, they were polite though.

Tepi screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 02:49 AM