Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #2326
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Aside from how gorgeous it looks (love that blue) I notice that it has things that actually make it usable, like mid controls, standard bars, full seat, and a luggage rack.
Here you go; I just put this pic of mine up in another thread. About 2" lopped off the bars and the controls pushed up as far as they will go on the wiring channel, heated grips, RK air shocks, also have the QD windshield and with the backrest removed, a plate and Givi topbox mount which bolts onto the rack. Very nice tourer and quite capable of cruising at 120kmh all day in comfort. Needs some spotlights for night riding though as the high beam isn't really up to picking out kangaroos at the distance you need to avoid them.

Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #2327
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,262
Did you actually remove your EFI and install a "Super" or is it just the aircleaner? I wouldn't consider that carb an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeppa View Post
I am the 2nd owner of this 08 Roadster; purchased 4 years ago in stock form with less than 400 miles. It now has several upgrades and a lot more miles.

drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #2328
mazeppa
b00n

Oddometer: 3
Thanks eveybody for the compliments, to answer some of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiellswheels View Post
Very nice Sporty. I too have the 1/4 fairing on my 07 1200R. I see you have SS brake lines. What shocks are those?
Rear shocks are Works 14, also the front suspension has Works fork springs and Ricor 39 MM Intiminator. Front XR1200 dual brakes calipers and master cylinder using after market SS brake lines.

Quote:
I noticed you have the sidestand on a 2x4. I'm assuming that's because of the longer shocks. How long are they?
The shocks were custom made for my weight and riding preferences.

The stock sidestand is not too short with the 14" rear shocks, the block is just to hold the bike more upright. The two photos provided were part of a batch I was going use when I was considering selling this bike and getting another Road King, NOW the Road King not happening ~ the Sportster is staying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
It would be nice to see a full-length sheepskin seat cover though.
And the fairing looks good, I am thinking of replacing my National screen, does yours give a degree of wind deflection? It looks rather small.
Rob
The farring gives a little wind deflection, maybe not much more than your National screen, but it is also good place to mount and hide gadgets. The sheepskin cover is a left over from a long gone Road King it is actually mounted backwards on a Mustang seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach View Post
Did you actually remove your EFI and install a "Super" or is it just the aircleaner? I wouldn't consider that carb an upgrade.
S&S air cleaner assembly is made for EFI bikes, I did not/would not do away with the EFI.
mazeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #2329
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 138
So you are quite happy with FI? I ask because my wife has a 2012 FI Sporty 1200, and it never feels/sounds right at low RPM. My ride is a 1200 carby and if my idle/slow running sounded like that, I'd be be looking for an induction air leak. Local HD dealership seem to think that it is fine.
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #2330
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Eek yay for epa tuning

Quote:
So you are quite happy with FI? I ask because my wife has a 2012 FI Sporty 1200, and it never feels/sounds right at low RPM. My ride is a 1200 carby and if my idle/slow running sounded like that, I'd be be looking for an induction air leak. Local HD dealership seem to think that it is fine.
from the factory, sportsters are ridiculously lean. mine was so bad it would "pop" out the throttle body when accelerating- even if I let it warm up for 10+ minutes... and that was in stock form. And of course, when asking the local dealer (and demonstrating the condition) I got the ol' standby answer- "they all do that". Adding a fuel tuner gets rid f the surging, rough running, lazy response, and sputtering.

As much as I love Harley Davidsons- I swear that they do this shit on purpose to sell parts.
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #2331
theKite
Ulyssean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
from the factory, sportsters are ridiculously lean. mine was so bad it would "pop" out the throttle body when accelerating- even if I let it warm up for 10+ minutes... and that was in stock form. And of course, when asking the local dealer (and demonstrating the condition) I got the ol' standby answer- "they all do that". Adding a fuel tuner gets rid f the surging, rough running, lazy response, and sputtering.

As much as I love Harley Davidsons- I swear that they do this shit on purpose to sell parts.
Fuel tuner? Is that the $500 electronic Box of Bastards that she had to buy when we put on the SE parts? Because the bike still does not run as well as my old carby bike. Power is better, but fuel consumption is about the same. About 5 litres per 100km. (Wozzat, about 48 mpg)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #2332
tree88
Adventurer

Cool2 yes sir.

Quote:
Fuel tuner? Is that the $500 electronic Box of Bastards that she had to buy when we put on the SE parts? Because the bike still does not run as well as my old carby bike. Power is better, but fuel consumption is about the same. About 5 litres per 100km. (Wozzat, about 48 mpg)

couple questions-
what type of fuel tuner did you purchase?
who installed it?

the reason i ask is some tuners require setup on a dyno (for example: the harley screamin eagle SERT has to be dyno tuned)

and if your tuner is a power commander or power vision, I can point you in the correct direction to get a map that works better.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #2333
theKite
Ulyssean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
couple questions-
what type of fuel tuner did you purchase?
who installed it?

the reason i ask is some tuners require setup on a dyno (for example: the harley screamin eagle SERT has to be dyno tuned)

and if your tuner is a power commander or power vision, I can point you in the correct direction to get a map that works better.
Screamin Eagle EFI super tuner part number 32109-08c.
It is not really installed, just has a plug in the end to interface with the bike's system, I take it. Purchased from Sunshine Coast H-D, here in Queensland.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #2334
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
REAL luggage rack for 2009 XL883L

Does anyone build a real luggage rack for this model? I'm not talking about the small toy racks Harley builds.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #2335
tree88
Adventurer

Quote:
Screamin Eagle EFI super tuner part number 32109-08c.
It is not really installed, just has a plug in the end to interface with the bike's system, I take it. Purchased from Sunshine Coast H-D, here in Queensland.
If the bike has not been dyno tuned (the tuner's parameters set) that thing is not doing much of anything. If you buy the software (why does the moco do that shit?) you can record (using the button on it) the bike behaving badly, and tweak the fuel and timing yourself- if not I would try to find an independent shop that can do the job, and get it tuned properly.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #2336
tree88
Adventurer

Laugh Ask and Ye shall....um, get replies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
Does anyone build a real luggage rack for this model? I'm not talking about the small toy racks Harley builds.
as in sissybar mount or fender mount?

for fender mount-after a quick google search
http://www.customcruisers.com/Custom...n-uk/d789.html

you can contact a givi dealer wherever you are with the part number, and they should be able to get one for you

for sissybar mount

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ71340

HD makes several that are in that size/price range, but are not on their web page. I have the 5 bar one on my bike, and it isn't horrible.

I hope this helps you.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #2337
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeppa View Post
Thanks eveybody for the compliments, to answer some of the question.

Rear shocks are Works 14, also the front suspension has Works fork springs and Ricor 39 MM Intiminator. Front XR1200 dual brakes calipers and master cylinder using after market SS brake lines.

The shocks were custom made for my weight and riding preferences.
So, you're running 14" shocks on a rubbermount, with no interference between the lower run of the belt and the rear master cylinder linkage?

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #2338
mazeppa
b00n

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
So, you're running 14" shocks on a rubbermount, with no interference between the lower run of the belt and the rear master cylinder linkage?

My shocks are 14 center to center. With the bike supported on a lift and the rear suspension at full drop (rear tire in the air), there is a minimal clearance with the rear master cylinder linkage to the rear brake pedal. This clearance does increase as the rear suspension compresses. I have about 9K miles using these 14 shocks and there is no visual evidence of any rear drive belt rubbing or wear.

The rear OEM mufflers like I am using is something else to consider when lengthening the rear shocks on a rubbermount. To the best of my knowledge the Roadsters and the standard XLs were unique where they came stock with 13-1/2 rear shocks, and they also had a unique rear muffler with an indention for clearance of the rear axle bolt. Notice on the OEM lowered Sportsters the rear axle is visible above the rear muffler, their rear mufflers do not have this indention for the axle bolt clearance. So at full rear suspension drop my rear axle bolt BARELY clears the muffler in this indention area, I am sure there would be a clearance problem with non-Roadster OEM type rear mufflers. With an aftermarket exhaust system like everybody else runs except me; there may not be this exhaust clearance consideration.
mazeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #2339
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,826
The performance of all FI Harleys can be improved, easily, but not cheaply. You have to buy what is called a Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (Harley's version of the Power Commander) I was told by someone who should know that the Screamin Eagle tuner is specific to Harley, or rather the Harley system is specific to it, so other tuners will not work. They call it a "race tuner" for legal reasons, because after you use it to remap the FI system so the bike will run right, it is no longer street legal. Other than making their system specific to their tuner, which I assume was purely for profit, they had no choice but to make the system too lean to begin with, because of the EPA, That evil organization that is trying to take away your right to ride and drive what you want.

I'm looking for a carbed Sportster, because I want to tinker with it, I unnderstand carbs, and jets are cheap. We have motorcycle emissions testing here (at least for now, it was outlawed in '08, but still here) and I have to have two carbs for my XT225. One for riding (runs great) and one set up for emissions testing (runs like shit but will pass the stupid test) I swap them out once a year. Not going to mess with the one I have set up perfectly.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #2340
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,366
Quote:
The performance of all FI Harleys can be improved, easily, but not cheaply. You have to buy what is called a Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (Harley's version of the Power Commander) I was told by someone who should know that the Screamin Eagle tuner is specific to Harley, or rather the Harley system is specific to it, so other tuners will not work. They call it a "race tuner" for legal reasons, because after you use it to remap the FI system so the bike will run right, it is no longer street legal. Other than making their system specific to their tuner, which I assume was purely for profit, they had no choice but to make the system too lean to begin with, because of the EPA, That evil organization that is trying to take away your right to ride and drive what you want.

I'm looking for a carbed Sportster, because I want to tinker with it, I unnderstand carbs, and jets are cheap. We have motorcycle emissions testing here (at least for now, it was outlawed in '08, but still here) and I have to have two carbs for my XT225. One for riding (runs great) and one set up for emissions testing (runs like shit but will pass the stupid test) I swap them out once a year. Not going to mess with the one I have set up perfectly.
You know JerryH, the bullshit and misinformation you spew actually could cause people some grief if they are actually naive enough to believe you. You should start doing a lttle research before you post. (If you are trolling, as has been suggested, you are an even bigger jerk than you first appear to be. Google Dynojet, Thundermax and TTS for starters, they all have systems that work quite well on Harleys. You are not even close to being an expert, you have no experience with these bikes so please stop giving out bad advice that could cause some folk to waste money.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote