Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 05:21 AM   #2341
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
You know JerryH, the bullshit and misinformation you spew actually could cause people some grief if they are actually naive enough to believe you. You should start doing a lttle research before you post. (If you are trolling, as has been suggested, you are an even bigger jerk than you first appear to be. Google Dynojet, Thundermax and TTS for starters, they all have systems that work quite well on Harleys. You are not even close to being an expert, you have no experience with these bikes so please stop giving out bad advice that could cause some folk to waste money.
Yep, beware the JerryH! I've seen a lot of his posts just being generic regurgitated bs but this one is simply wrong.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #2342
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The performance of all FI Harleys can be improved, easily, but not cheaply. You have to buy what is called a Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (Harley's version of the Power Commander) I was told by someone who should know that the Screamin Eagle tuner is specific to Harley, or rather the Harley system is specific to it, so other tuners will not work. They call it a "race tuner" for legal reasons, because after you use it to remap the FI system so the bike will run right, it is no longer street legal. Other than making their system specific to their tuner, which I assume was purely for profit, they had no choice but to make the system too lean to begin with, because of the EPA, That evil organization that is trying to take away your right to ride and drive what you want.

I'm looking for a carbed Sportster, because I want to tinker with it, I unnderstand carbs, and jets are cheap. We have motorcycle emissions testing here (at least for now, it was outlawed in '08, but still here) and I have to have two carbs for my XT225. One for riding (runs great) and one set up for emissions testing (runs like shit but will pass the stupid test) I swap them out once a year. Not going to mess with the one I have set up perfectly.
I would guess that "someone who should know" doesn't....

Actually, the SE tuner is not only not the only one available, it also is not the best one available. Currently, the "best" tuner for the Sportster is the Dynojet Power Vision. It is not a piggyback system that tricks your ecm into adding more fuel like most others. It actually reflashes your ecm with a completely new tune, and can then be removed from the bike. It also has many parameters that are adjustable and can be reconfigured anytime you like, or need to in order to address any further mods you make to your bike.

Another nice thing is that you can store many different maps, so if you have emissions tests its a simple matter to temporarily reinstall your factory map for the test and then reinstall your custom map once done.

They are not cheap though. You can expect to pay around five bills for the PV, and then you can spend even more if you want to get the autotune feature which gives it even more flexibility and simplifies tuning.

BUT, if you have emissions tests... rather than having to buy another carb, and swap them out back and forth, or rejet your one carb every year... yeah, plugging in the PV and hitting a few things on a touch screen would be MUCH easier and quicker. I sorta like carbs myself, but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't even consider a carbed bike for that reason alone...

I'm definitely not an expert, but there is a wealth of tuning knowledge on the Power Vision available over on XLForum.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 10:09 AM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #2343
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I would guess that "someone who should know" doesn't....

Actually, the SE tuner is not only not the only one available, it also is not the best one available. Currently, the "best" tuner for the Sportster is the Dynojet Power Vision. It is not a piggyback system that tricks your ecm into adding more fuel like most others. It actually reflashes your ecm with a completely new tune, and can then be removed from the bike. It also has many parameters that are adjustable and can be reconfigured anytime you like, or need to in order to address any further mods you make to your bike.

Another nice thing is that you can store many different maps, so if you have emissions tests its a simple matter to temporarily reinstall your factory map for the test and then reinstall your custom map once done.

They are not cheap though. You can expect to pay around five bills for the PV, and then you can spend even more if you want to get the autotune feature which gives it even more flexibility and simplifies tuning.

BUT, if you have emissions tests... rather than having to buy another carb, and swap them out back and forth, or rejet your one carb every year... yeah, plugging in the PV and hitting a few things on a touch screen would be MUCH easier and quicker. I sorta like carbs myself, but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't even consider a carbed bike for that reason alone...

I'm definitely not an expert, but there is a wealth of tuning knowledge on the Power Vision available over on XLForum.

I concur. The Power Vision definately fit my needs (2008 Softail, but a HD product as well). It was easy to use, even by a mechanically challenged guy like me. My bike runs great and any future engine modifications I do can be accomidated easily. I really like fuel injection, carbs suck. (literally)
Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #2344
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I use the Zippers Thundermax with auto tune on my 07 Sportster and it works very well. It is easy to set up and program - I would personally never want to go back to a carb'ed bike.

My experience is that the Thundermax will make the bike run better BUT it won't make it a rocket. If you really want more power you'll have to invest in engine work, such as new camshafts.

Regarding emissions testing (not required for bikes in California) I would think that you're much better off with an EFI bike and an aftermarket tuner such as Thundermax because all you'd need to do is hook it up to your laptop, load a stock fuel map, get it tested, and then reload the performance map again - voila.
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #2345
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,285
So, after the very kind salesman (Bob) at Scottsdale Harley took me for a few miles on the 72, I'm having a really hard time NOT buying one. But for one thing, the seat is hideous! Of course, the range is only about an hour at any speed at all, so I might even get past the seat. Anybody else totally in lust with the 72?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #2346
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I love that little bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
So, after the very kind salesman (Bob) at Scottsdale Harley took me for a few miles on the 72, I'm having a really hard time NOT buying one. But for one thing, the seat is hideous! Of course, the range is only about an hour at any speed at all, so I might even get past the seat. Anybody else totally in lust with the 72?
Lyle
would make an awesome lil hotrod (88" kit and headwork) but, I really have no "need" for another barhopper... but I damn sure do want one lol
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #2347
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Lyle
I have the 48 but put higher bars on it. It's basically a blacked out 72. I picked up the lepera cherokee and it should be here in a week or so. I've read good things, and it would look awesome on a 72.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #2348
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
would make an awesome lil hotrod (88" kit and headwork) but, I really have no "need" for another barhopper... but I damn sure do want one lol
I don't think I've gone to one bar on my 48 yet. I put 1000 miles on in the first month and got a shocked look when I went into the dealer to pick up oil for my 1000 milke tune-up.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #2349
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,285
I really like the Iron 883 as well. If they still made the Nightster, I'd already own one.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #2350
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,330
"I really like fuel injection, carbs suck. (literally)" So does fuel injection. How do you think the air/fuel mixture gets into the engine? That's right, it gets sucked in by engine vacuum just like with carbs.

I'm so tired of looking at junk, I'm about ready to buy a new 883 Iron or SuperLow, and fix it up myself over the next few years. You can get all the parts you need from the aftermarket, and not have to give more money to Harley. Harley dealers here love to sell 883s. People buy them, spend a small fortune at the dealer for parts to fix it up the way they want it, then get tired of it and come back in and trade it in on a big twin. Local dealers get as many of them as they can. They are a huge money pit for the owner, and a cash cow for the dealer.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #2351
tree88
Adventurer

thats how it was after I bought my dyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotsajerkface View Post
I don't think I've gone to one bar on my 48 yet. I put 1000 miles on in the first month and got a shocked look when I went into the dealer to pick up oil for my 1000 milke tune-up.
I put almost 3000 miles on it in a month, and 22k the first year. Then I blew the motor (twice- both times my stupidity) re-did that, got hit on it, and deployed twice. have only managed about 3000 in the last 4 years. Been riding my sportster everywhere I go, but, with no job... that isn't very far (I did however manage to pick up a nail in a brand new tire grrrrrrr). I used to wonder how people could have bikes for years with next to no miles- I recon Mr. Murphy decided to teach me.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #2352
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
When did they get the vibes under control?

Can someone tell me the year HD began building the rubber-mounted engines in the Sportster line? TIA
Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #2353
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletreat View Post
can someone tell me the year hd began building the rubber-mounted engines in the sportster line? Tia

OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #2354
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
I put almost 3000 miles on it in a month, and 22k the first year. Then I blew the motor (twice- both times my stupidity) re-did that, got hit on it, and deployed twice. have only managed about 3000 in the last 4 years. Been riding my sportster everywhere I go, but, with no job... that isn't very far (I did however manage to pick up a nail in a brand new tire grrrrrrr). I used to wonder how people could have bikes for years with next to no miles- I recon Mr. Murphy decided to teach me.
You say you don't have a job, so you can't ride as much and I say I have a job so I can't ride as much.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #2355
tree88
Adventurer

that would be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
Can someone tell me the year HD began building the rubber-mounted engines in the Sportster line? TIA
2004 was the first year of rubbermounts, efi came along in 2007, with a change in ecm placement in 2009 (went from under the seat to down in the frame)