ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #2356
tree88
Adventurer
 
tree88's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Killeen TX
Oddometer: 39
yessir

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotsajerkface View Post
You say you don't have a job, so you can't ride as much and I say I have a job so I can't ride as much.
It's the whole time/money thing that never seems to be in the right ratio. At least when I was working (stateside), I could ride there.
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #2357
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer
 
eliotsajerkface's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Oakland
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
It's the whole time/money thing that never seems to be in the right ratio. At least when I was working (stateside), I could ride there.
I only live 2.5 miles from work so I bicycle. I don't want to look like a typical harley rider. Most of my riding is done on the nights, weekends, or vacation days.
__________________
1996 R1100GS
2013 HD '48
eliotsajerkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #2358
tree88
Adventurer
 
tree88's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Killeen TX
Oddometer: 39
yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotsajerkface View Post
I only live 2.5 miles from work so I bicycle. I don't want to look like a typical harley rider. Most of my riding is done on the nights, weekends, or vacation days.
I suppose I am genetically pre-disposed to looking like a typical harley rider (big and ugly lol) but I can see why you would bike it, besides- short tripping (not really running it long enough to reach operating temp) an engine isn't really good for it.

My hope was to find a job on post here (fort hood), but with the sequestration, and drawdowns, my skill set is no longer as valued commodity as it once was. Now looking at Austin or Waco (40-60mi) so if I do get a job, I will at least have some quality riding time every day.
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #2359
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotsajerkface View Post
I only live 2.5 miles from work so I bicycle. I don't want to look like a typical harley rider. Most of my riding is done on the nights, weekends, or vacation days.
Have to laugh. I live 8 miles from the airport (where I work) when I take my truck.....when I take the bike, it turns into 28 miles.....how DOES this happen?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #2360
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
I suppose I am genetically pre-disposed to looking like a typical harley rider (big and ugly lol) but I can see why you would bike it, besides- short tripping (not really running it long enough to reach operating temp) an engine isn't really good for it.

My hope was to find a job on post here (fort hood), but with the sequestration, and drawdowns, my skill set is no longer as valued commodity as it once was. Now looking at Austin or Waco (40-60mi) so if I do get a job, I will at least have some quality riding time every day.
What is your "skill set". I have two cousins that live in Waco, and my company has facilities in Houston....
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #2361
tree88
Adventurer
 
tree88's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Killeen TX
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
What is your "skill set". I have two cousins that live in Waco, and my company has facilities in Houston....
PM sent
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #2362
tree88
Adventurer
 
tree88's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Killeen TX
Oddometer: 39
Cool2 typical enough for ya? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotsajerkface View Post
I only live 2.5 miles from work so I bicycle. I don't want to look like a typical harley rider. Most of my riding is done on the nights, weekends, or vacation days.


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #2363
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Scrivens's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: usually the garage
Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Have to laugh. I live 8 miles from the airport (where I work) when I take my truck.....when I take the bike, it turns into 28 miles...
Yeah. With the 3.3 gallon tank I have to fill the Sportster up every second day. I get about 170km to a tank before the 'reserve' light comes on and the service station I use is about 3km away and just at the foot of a very nice bit of bikers road. As I can't make a U-turn (divided main road) to go back home from the servo I always end up going the long way - and get home with about 75km of the fuel gone. On more than a few occasions I've had to return to the servo a few hours later and refill it, never having made it home.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #2364
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
Yeah. With the 3.3 gallon tank I have to fill the Sportster up every second day. I get about 170km to a tank before the 'reserve' light comes on and the service station I use is about 3km away and just at the foot of a very nice bit of bikers road. As I can't make a U-turn (divided main road) to go back home from the servo I always end up going the long way - and get home with about 75km of the fuel gone. On more than a few occasions I've had to return to the servo a few hours later and refill it, never having made it home.
Man, that inconvenience must SUCK!
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #2365
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b
 
HapHazard's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Central CT
Oddometer: 2,184
Pretty quiet - everybody must have been out riding their Sportsters today. I was, first time this cold, snowy year! I think it's the latest first ride yet for me. Sunny, comfortable temp for my gear and light traffic (and more sand on the roads than the Sahara).
Hope everyone had a good ride!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #2366
pvt joker
Latebird
 
pvt joker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cucamonga
Oddometer: 113
I was, some really good canyon riding today. Azusa Canyon > East Fork > Glendora Mountain Road > Glendora Ridge Road > Mount Baldy > home. Didn't stop to for any pictures just took in the beauty of it all.

So, here's a picture from when I swapped in some new/old shocks from a sport model a few weeks ago.

pvt joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #2367
studad
Studly Adventurer
 
studad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Willow Springs, MO
Oddometer: 801
Great looking 883r! I've got a guy wanting to trade his sportster sport for my road king. I'd love to molest it up with some 883r tank badges.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #2368
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
Pretty quiet - everybody must have been out riding their Sportsters today. I was, first time this cold, snowy year! I think it's the latest first ride yet for me. Sunny, comfortable temp for my gear and light traffic (and more sand on the roads than the Sahara).
Hope everyone had a good ride!

Nope, not riding, just working on things in preparation for my upcoming suspension upgrades, Phase I...

Ricor intiminators are ordered, longer Roadster damper rods are ordered, Amsoil 5W fork oil (recommended by Ricor) ordered, Roadster side stand bought from ebay, almost new longer Roadster shocks on hand (also from ebay), and the springs and top caps are removed so I can take then to work for sandblasting so I can powder coat them matte black. Roadster sidestand will also get blasted and powder coated once I get it.

Friday I purchased a new lift stand to facilitate this work since my paddock stands don't work on the Sportster. Also picked up an impact wrench to help with damper rod removal. Also picked up a powder coating thingy, specifically for the above mentioned parts, but I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it since I'm always coming up with things that make me say, "Man, I wish this was powder coated black!"

Then yesterday, I assembled my lift, gathered some misc. supplies, made a fork spring compressor and fork oil level adjusting device.

So, now, I THINK I have everything to make this happen once all the parts arrive and I find the time to dive in.

Phase 2 will include Ohlins, and possibly Works dual rate fork springs if the stock springs aren't up to the task once they have a little help from Ricor... We'll see... But that'll all have to wait until I recuperate from the financial drain of the wedding and my new wife's upcoming move half way across the country,

In the meantime though, I hope to gain some much needed cornering clearance, and do something to alleviate the spine shocking harshness of the stock short travel lowered suspension.


__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #2369
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Gladwin, Mi
Oddometer: 1,777
So, I've always been interested in Sportsters, they just weren't practical enough for me as a main bike. I would love to have one to play around with.

I have been considering doing some trading for an 86 Evo 883 turned 1200. The owner says its leaking oil from the shift shaft. He says its got new oil lines, a new tank, new clutch, new rear tire, new chain. He says its got a couple paint defects and the carb needs to be cleaned.

Are these bikes pretty reliable, or am I opening a can of worms? I don't want to invest a ton of money into it. Just something to wrench on and ride for fun. I am thinking I could probably get a historical plate for it. ;)





The apes, tassles, and the highway pegs would have to go, but it looks like it could be a fun project to customize.
__________________
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S
2001 Yamaha TW200 (Wife's bike)
2005 Yamaha FZ6

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #2370
studad
Studly Adventurer
 
studad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Willow Springs, MO
Oddometer: 801
from what i understand, its hard to go wrong with an evo. that oil leak sounds like a pain, but they're easy to work on at least.

If the price is right, go for it. you can turn it into anything, and bet your ass somebody'd come buy those apes if they were put on CL.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014