Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #2371
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Go to xlforum and start doing some reading to get a better feel for these bikes. I haven't read much about the older models but there is a wealth of info there...

I can't say for sure, but it seems like I remember a shift shaft seal being a pretty simple job. I think all you really need is to pull the primary cover to replace it. But it's been a while since I read anything about it and I've never actually had to do it yet....

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #2372
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
1986 is the BEST year for the 4 speed Evos.

In 1986 heads on both the 883 and 1100 had bigger valves than any other year.

The shift shaft oil leak will be EASY to fix. There is a seal in the primary cover that the shift shaft passes through. Its a $5 part. You may also need a new primary gasket. Even with no experience wrenching on a Harley, its a 20 minute job, tops.

Sportsters are unit construction (primaty, tranny, and crank case are all 1 piece... well, its 2 actually, but they are pressed together). The tranny and primary share the same space and fluid, so the only place the shift shaft can leak from is the primary shift shaft seal. It is a fairly common failure.

Do not let anyone diss the 4 speeds either. The final drive ratio of the 4 speeds and the 5 speeds (with stock gearing) is basically the same... so your highway RPMs are about the same too. I prefer the 4 speed, these bikes have good low down torque (even the 883's) so less shifting is nice, and they really arent any slower for the lack of 1 gear.

Make sure it charges. The 4 speed sportsters had issues with the magnets falling off of the stator (it was not very common, but it happened enough to get a reputation). If that 1986 charges and runs, buy it. They are as close to maintinance free as a bike of that age can be.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #2373
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
1986 is the BEST year for the 4 speed Evos.

In 1986 heads on both the 883 and 1100 had bigger valves than any other year.

The shift shaft oil leak will be EASY to fix. There is a seal in the primary cover that the shift shaft passes through. Its a $5 part. You may also need a new primary gasket. Even with no experience wrenching on a Harley, its a 20 minute job, tops.

Sportsters are unit construction (primaty, tranny, and crank case are all 1 piece... well, its 2 actually, but they are pressed together). The tranny and primary share the same space and fluid, so the only place the shift shaft can leak from is the primary shift shaft seal. It is a fairly common failure.

Do not let anyone diss the 4 speeds either. The final drive ratio of the 4 speeds and the 5 speeds (with stock gearing) is basically the same... so your highway RPMs are about the same too. I prefer the 4 speed, these bikes have good low down torque (even the 883's) so less shifting is nice, and they really arent any slower for the lack of 1 gear.

Make sure it charges. The 4 speed sportsters had issues with the magnets falling off of the stator (it was not very common, but it happened enough to get a reputation). If that 1986 charges and runs, buy it. They are as close to maintinance free as a bike of that age can be.
It was sold last night....

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #2374
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
I'd really like an Iron 883 in 1200. Anybody have left over Nightster?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #2375
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,371
Pic from a recent ride.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #2376
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #2377
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
nice

More pics, info, link please...
2002 Sporster 883 (traded for Zed)
1984 Honda V45 Sabre (sold and missed)
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #2378
Red eyed and Rollin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Sweet
Red eyed and Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #2379
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Yes, AWESOME indeed! More details and pics would be great!
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #2380
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yes, AWESOME indeed! More details and pics would be great!
Yeah. Details, details, details. Awesome looking Sportster.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #2381
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
You asked...

It is a Storz conversion done by Team Latus in Portland Oregon in 1995. One owner and she likes to say "NO it is NOT for SALE!!!" (before you even ask)

Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #2382
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
another new one.....

Hi all- newbie here. Not new to bikes, been riding since '68. Last 20 years or so have been mainly euro bikes, Ducati, Guzzi and the occasional Beemer. Self maintained. I sold my RSL 1100 BMW due to knee replacement issues making it painful to ride. Bought a V Star 1100 Yammie as a replacement. Great bike. Reliable, handles ok for a cruiser. It just doesn't trigger that something in me the Guzzis did. Local shop's had an '05 883. 15k miles. Full service and new tires + battery. Kinda groady, needs the alloy polished. Cleanup's easy, I restore vintage drum sets! I've got this stuff down.
Well, the HD shop called. Said they had the bike ready, did I want to come ride it? After all the discussion I'd read about vibes, I was almost afraid to. The thing feels great! If you lug it in the wrong range, sure it'll vibrate. At speed, it's smoother then my V Star 1100 was. Really like the lighter, narrower feel. Feels a lot like my SP 1000 Guzzi to ride. Came with Screaming Eagle pipes and jet kit, Corbin seat, leather hard bags, batwing fairing, s/s lines, oil temp gauge, new tires, battery, and tender harness. Was at dealers, so it had full service and CPS replaced! They were about to up the price tag on it, but they honored their original quote! I'm very happy with it. Simple, and real. Already added Street Glide air shocks and Mustang vintage solo seat..........
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #2383
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
bdonley

Thats a slick Sporty!
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #2384
s&s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Make sure it charges. The 4 speed sportsters had issues with the magnets falling off of the stator (it was not very common, but it happened enough to get a reputation).
It's more than common, happened to almost every 4 speed evo I know (and to many late 84-85 ironheads, too). The magnets are not falling just for glue letting go, usually they fall off after hitting stator, contact is caused by clutch basket wobbling on the transmission main shaft. Ask me how I know... My advice is to avoid late 84-90 4 speed Sportsters.
s&s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #2385
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
Hi all- newbie here. Not new to bikes, been riding since '68. Last 20 years or so have been mainly euro bikes, Ducati, Guzzi and the occasional Beemer. Self maintained. I sold my RSL 1100 BMW due to knee replacement issues making it painful to ride. Bought a V Star 1100 Yammie as a replacement. Great bike. Reliable, handles ok for a cruiser. It just doesn't trigger that something in me the Guzzis did. Local shop's had an '05 883. 15k miles. Full service and new tires + battery. Kinda groady, needs the alloy polished. Cleanup's easy, I restore vintage drum sets! I've got this stuff down.
Well, the HD shop called. Said they had the bike ready, did I want to come ride it? After all the discussion I'd read about vibes, I was almost afraid to. The thing feels great! If you lug it in the wrong range, sure it'll vibrate. At speed, it's smoother then my V Star 1100 was. Really like the lighter, narrower feel. Feels a lot like my SP 1000 Guzzi to ride. Came with Screaming Eagle pipes and jet kit, Corbin seat, leather hard bags, batwing fairing, s/s lines, oil temp gauge, new tires, battery, and tender harness. Was at dealers, so it had full service and CPS replaced! They were about to up the price tag on it, but they honored their original quote! I'm very happy with it. Simple, and real. Already added Street Glide air shocks and Mustang vintage solo seat..........
Nice sporty.

Yeah, I had always heard about the paint shaker vibes too. My '13 has no objectionable vibes at all. Of course they have been rubber mounted since '04 so I'm sure that makes a huge difference. I've yet to sample a pre-'04 solid mount. Wanting to build a project sporty though and for various reason sorta think I wanna base it on a solid mount. Need to check the vibes on one first though...