Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #2476
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
I ride my 48 in sunshine and in rain, heres my bike from thursday.

Got some washing to do...
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #2477
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 786
Wicked

[/QUOTE]
After all your research, it has opened up the 48/Nightsters market to me. Like you, I like the 48/Nightsters but the low bit I could live without. Now that you tested the re-made suspension I can start looking for the right bike.

Oh, for a bit more range, the Nightster tank does fit the 48.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #2478
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post

After all your research, it has opened up the 48/Nightsters market to me. Like you, I like the 48/Nightsters but the low bit I could live without. Now that you tested the re-made suspension I can start looking for the right bike.

Oh, for a bit more range, the Nightster tank does fit the 48.

It really isn't all that difficult to get decent ride height, although some of the things I have done may or may not work well for you, depending on your weight. But of course those things can be adjusted to suit. The shocks for instance. I used the stock Roadster shocks as an interim solution until I can afford better. They seem to be working our pretty well for me now, although I have heard that they don't work real well for heavier riders. Same goes for the stock fork springs. I reused the stock factory 48 springs in the forks. I actually had to cut them down 2.5" in order to get the sag set right for me. I may or may not upgrade to better springs later on too, depending on how well these work once I've had time to evaluate the new suspension a bit more. But, again, they also seem to be working pretty well for me as is for now. All in all though, all it takes is the longer dampers to get the fork length back, and then longer shocks of your choice for the rear. The details, like shocks and fork springs, are up to the individual.

One thing to note however... I found that for my bike the 13.25 shocks are about as long as I can run without further mods. At full extension the belt runs pretty close to the stock exhaust's rear cross-over tube support bracket. Of course if running an aftermarket exhaust that does away with this piece, then you may have a little more room before running into clearance issues with the rear brake master cylinder bell crank. I have seen other solutions to these issues, but I wanted to keep it simple and do what I could to improve an otherwise basically stock bike.

While longer range would be nice, for me, the looks of the peanut tank was one thing that initially drew me to the bike. I just like the proportions it gives the bike. That and of course the Hard Candy Custom gold metal flake paint!

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 08:53 AM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #2479
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
... I found that for my bike the 13.25 shocks are about as long as I can run without further mods. At full extension the belt runs pretty close to the stock exhaust's rear cross-over tube support bracket...
I presume that is the eye to eye measurement. There should be plenty of 13" options available, yes?
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #2480
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
I presume that is the eye to eye measurement. There should be plenty of 13" options available, yes?
Yeah, 13.25", eye to eye is the stock shock length for the Roadster. There are quite a few options available in this range. Progressive, Works, Ohlins, Ricor... all have shocks in this length. I also believe that YSS and Hagon do as well.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #2481
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
I ride my 48 in sunshine and in rain, heres my bike from thursday.

Got some washing to do...
Well, I have to admit that a "real" rider does ride in all weather.

I've never really been a fair weather rider myself either, actually. Maybe after the "new" has worn off this bike, and I've been caught out in the rain a few times, I'll change my perspective. But as it is now, the bike is new with less than a thousand miles on it, and it was a surprise gift from my GF (now wife), so it has a little sentimental thang going on. And then there's the leather seat that I'd just prefer not to get wet. I'll probably get Ed to make me up another seat like this one, in vinyl, a little later on, but for now I'll just try to avoid nasty weather on this bike.

If it's gonna rain and I want to ride anyway, I'll take the GS. It's seen LOTS of rain and crap!

Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #2482
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
My '99

on a road trip yesterday in western Virginia. Simply a great machine.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #2483
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
And then there's the leather seat that I'd just prefer not to get wet.
On just treat it with some leatherbalm, it should be fine. Yeah mines last years model, about 2600miles on it ATM, last summer was terrible to ride, only did close trips due to rain...
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #2484
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 425
nice job randy
Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #2485
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,744
The majority of my riding is commuting, so a bike doesn't do me much good if it doesn't have some kind of waterproof luggage for my laptop and papers. Thus the project to convert my Roadster to a bagger:

TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #2486
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
The majority of my riding is commuting, so a bike doesn't do me much good if it doesn't have some kind of waterproof luggage for my laptop and papers. Thus the project to convert my Roadster to a bagger:

I own a set of Happy Trails sitting on a shelf waiting for a Sportster to put them on. Can you provide more details on the mounting brackets, and how you fabricated them to the Sportster? HT doesn't offer a bracket ready made for Harley, I've asked them.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:10 AM   #2487
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Check it out..

beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #2488
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper View Post
Check it out..

That's weird. That bike is an exact copy of the build done by Burly (LINKY) over on chop cult. I woulda thought that if a kit was forthcoming, that Burly would have marketed it directly.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #2489
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
I own a set of Happy Trails sitting on a shelf waiting for a Sportster to put them on. Can you provide more details on the mounting brackets, and how you fabricated them to the Sportster? HT doesn't offer a bracket ready made for Harley, I've asked them.
I called in a favor to have a set of custom aluminum spools made to bolt through at the top, now the next step is to bend up some simple steel bracing to get rid of the bounce. Let me get it all finished up and then I can document it.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #2490
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,793
Is there a two-into-one upswept exhaust available for sporties that doesn't make them too damn loud?

For some reason I've suddenly having a jonesin' for a sporty 883 with mid controls, lower, flat bars, some sort of cafe fairing, improved suspension and a better (not louder!) exhaust...

Some light bulbs went off in my head the other day. What I really want right now is a simple, easy to work on bike with no fairings. I don't want more than two cylinders, I don't want a huge bike, and I want something that has a classic "motorcycle look" but doesn't look like a cruiser. I just want a standard naked bike with some decent suspension mods. I could just get a Bonneville, but the parts availability for the HD seems much better.

So I got on HD's website the other night and am sorely disappointed at the current selection of available sporties...the 883 Iron is cool except it's lowered and the suspension looks WORTHLESS. None of the other sporties look like a good platform for making a decently competent bike (no triple discs, lowered, wire spoke wheels (don't want tubes), etc. :/

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote