Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #2536
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
The width of the engine cases really precludes any sort of spirited riding: you just have to get in a no-rush cruiser mentality to ride one, for good or bad. .
Not really sure what you mean by that actually. My Sportster measures right at 13" across the cases. My Ducati measures right at 16". My Buell S1 has the same cases as my Sporty and you can lean it over just about as far as you'd care to. Now if we're talking about the stock lowered variety, or the slammed custom jobs, then sure, but if you get the cases up off the ground they aren't the limiting factor. Granted, the Sporty is no real sport bike, but it is still capable of relatively "spirited" riding if set up properly. Of course, that does depend on your definition of "spirited"

But, honestly, after years of riding sportier bikes, I did want something a little more tame and relaxing. I decided maybe it was time to slow down a bit and wanted something that I still found satisfying to ride even at a more sedate pace. The Sportster fit the bill perfectly for that role for me. And, now with a few simple mods, I can still enjoy a few twisties on occasion, even if at less than a race pace. I find that riding it I am less likely to find myself riding 80 on a backroad like I often do on other bikes. Now I can look down and see my speedo reading 60 instead, and find that I'm enjoying myself just as much. Reducing my overall road speed, without reducing the enjoyment can't be a bad thing. Safer for my health AND my license! To me it's more about having fun and not so much how fast I can go down a certain stretch of road... more about the perception of speed than the actual speed at which I'm moving...

Then again, IDK, maybe I'm just getting old...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 06:22 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #2537
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
...Now I can look down and see my speedo reading 60 instead, and find that I'm enjoying myself just as much. Reducing my overall road speed, without reducing the enjoyment can't be a bad thing. Safer for my health AND my license! To me it's more about having fun and not so much how fast I can go down a certain stretch of road... more about the perception of speed than the actual speed at which I'm moving...

You pretty much described me also, although my current primary ride is a modded 07 Triumph Speedmaster bagger.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #2538
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
Well, it does not have to be a sport bike, but any bike should be able to go around turns at a reasonable rate of speed and lean angle.
Lean angle is not something I like to run out of early, and I know of many people who ran out (on Harley's) mid turn and hit guard rails and so on.

I never thought the motor was too wide to allow a good lean angle if it was high enough off the ground....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #2539
NJ-Brett
Brett

You are just getting smarter most likely.
If you can have fun at 60 or 70 mph, why go 140 if you are not making lots of money doing it?

Quote:

But, honestly, after years of riding sportier bikes, I did want something a little more tame and relaxing. I decided maybe it was time to slow down a bit and wanted something that I still found satisfying to ride even at a more sedate pace. The Sportster fit the bill perfectly for that role for me. And, now with a few simple mods, I can still enjoy a few twisties on occasion, even if at less than a race pace. I find that riding it I am less likely to find myself riding 80 on a backroad like I often do on other bikes. Now I can look down and see my speedo reading 60 instead, and find that I'm enjoying myself just as much. Reducing my overall road speed, without reducing the enjoyment can't be a bad thing. Safer for my health AND my license! To me it's more about having fun and not so much how fast I can go down a certain stretch of road... more about the perception of speed than the actual speed at which I'm moving...

Old 05-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #2540
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Well, it does not have to be a sport bike, but any bike should be able to go around turns at a reasonable rate of speed and lean angle.
Lean angle is not something I like to run out of early, and I know of many people who ran out (on Harley's) mid turn and hit guard rails and so on.

I never thought the motor was too wide to allow a good lean angle if it was high enough off the ground....
I know that's right! Pretty much anything can run out of lean angle at some point. I've drug hard parts on my GS and on my Duc. Never a good feeling when you're worried about levering a tire off the road.

The first time I went 'round a decent curve, at a very modest pace, on my Sporty I drug the inside peg pretty good. Hard enough to fold the peg up and scare the shit out of me! Granted, it did have the feelers on the pegs, but that was a warning to me and told me that something had to be done so I could feel safe, let alone have some fun. That's when I started looking into what I could do, and what I ended up doing... Since doing the mods to my bike I've taken it down a nice curvy local back road several times at a fairly brisk pace and haven't even touched the peg feelers down yet. That's probably about as hard as I need to be riding anyway, and since I still haven't touched the long feelers down I would assume that I still have a fair safety margin before I hit real hard parts. I still plan to push it more in small increments up until I drag the pegs, just so I can find the safe limit, but honestly I'm pretty happy with that aspect of the bike now.

Still planning to get better shocks (Ohlins) at some point, and I'm pretty convinced that I need to upgrade the fork springs as well, when money allows, but for now I'm pretty happy with both the improvement in ride quality AND the cornering clearance. It isn't a sport bike anyway and I'm not trying to turn it into something it isn't meant to be. If I had wanted another sport bike I could have gotten one just as easily. But, I wanted something different... something I could enjoy while not always needing to push it. So, I go the Sporty, and now when ridden within reasonable limits it's actually pretty capable. I'm lovin' it!

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #2541
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You are just getting smarter most likely.
If you can have fun at 60 or 70 mph, why go 140 if you are not making lots of money doing it?
That's my point exactly!

Unless you're racing, or have something to prove to your buddies, or the squids on racer road, what's the point of worrying about what bike can make the best time down a particular stretch of road? I think too many years of reading magazine road tests may be partly responsible for that mindset. If you can have the same level of fun at lower over the road speeds, why not?

Say I ride two different bikes back to back down the same stretch, riding at the same RELATIVE pace, and on one find that I'm averaging 80 and one the other I'm averaging 60. I enjoy each trip equally. Which is the better choice for real world road riding? Unfortunately an awful lot of guys would say the one that you ride faster because it's more capable. But, IMO, the one that allows you to have the same level of enjoyment while traveling slower is the better choice for the real world on real roads full of unknowns and crazy drivers. Too many people treat roads as if they were on a race track. Race tracks are a controlled environment. No dogs, no deer, no unexpected crap in the road, and no stupid drivers. Roads are very unpredictable and the slower you're going the more time you have to deal with the unexpected...

IDK, maybe I am just getting old... But I know that since I've had the Sporty I find that my average speed has gone down. Not so much that it isn't capable of more, it's just that the feel of the bike somehow makes up for the speed in ways that other bikes don't and therefore require me to ride faster to find that "happy zone".

And remember, this is all coming from a guy that looked down his nose at Harleys for years because they didn't "perform" for shit!

Randy screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 08:08 PM
Old 05-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #2542
Tucson1200low
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Help!!!

Hey Everybody,

Im new to this forum and I need some help. I got a 2009 Sporty 1200 low and the mid controls are killing me :-/
Is there anybody out there who would be interested in swapping forwards for mids? Or maybe where I can get an
inexpensive set?
Tucson1200low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #2543
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson1200low View Post
Hey Everybody,

Im new to this forum and I need some help. I got a 2009 Sporty 1200 low and the mid controls are killing me :-/
Is there anybody out there who would be interested in swapping forwards for mids? Or maybe where I can get an
inexpensive set?
Ebay, or trying posting a request HERE.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #2544
NJ-Brett
Brett

What size are you?
I had the same bike, and the same problem, and I do not like forward controls, so I sold the bike.

Look on Craigslist for someone who wants to swap, or buy new parts at the dealers and sell your bits or keep them for resale with the bike.

The mids do not work at all on new sportsters unless you are very small.

Quote:
Hey Everybody,

inexpensive set?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #2545
NJ-Brett
Brett

You should try a TU 250.
Do 80 and it feels like 150 on other bikes, yet its stable and smooth.
You get to ride like a maniac and not get in trouble.
Plus, if something goes wrong, its a lot better at lower speeds....

Its much better for me to ride a bike that feels fast at low speed, then it is to ride a bike that feels slow at high speed.....
Its also a LOT more fun.

I know a number of guys with big powerful (expensive) bikes that find riding very boring, same old roads, same old ride, no place interesting to go in the few hours they have to ride.

I get a thrill just running to the store, its a road race, throttle pinned, fast shifting at the power peak, zooming through turns, all at legal or almost legal speeds.....
I drag race cars away from EVERY light, and often win!

Quote:
That's my point exactly!

Unless you're racing, or have something to prove to your buddies, or the squids on racer road, what's the point of worrying about what bike can make the best time down a particular stretch of road? I think too many years of reading magazine road tests may be partly responsible for that mindset. If you can have the same level of fun at lower over the road speeds, why not?

Say I ride two different bikes back to back down the same stretch, riding at the same RELATIVE pace, and on one find that I'm averaging 80 and one the other I'm averaging 60. I enjoy each trip equally. Which is the better choice for real world road riding? Unfortunately an awful lot of guys would say the one that you ride faster because it's more capable. But, IMO, the one that allows you to have the same level of enjoyment while traveling slower is the better choice for the real world on real roads full of unknowns and crazy drivers. Too many people treat roads as if they were on a race track. Race tracks are a controlled environment. No dogs, no deer, no unexpected crap in the road, and no stupid drivers. Roads are very unpredictable and the slower you're going the more time you have to deal with the unexpected...

IDK, maybe I am just getting old... But I know that since I've had the Sporty I find that my average speed has gone down. Not so much that it isn't capable of more, it's just that the feel of the bike somehow makes up for the speed in ways that other bikes don't and therefore require me to ride faster to find that "happy zone".

And remember, this is all coming from a guy that looked down his nose at Harleys for years because they didn't "perform" for shit!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #2546
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You should try a TU 250.
Do 80 and it feels like 150 on other bikes, yet its stable and smooth.
You get to ride like a maniac and not get in trouble.
Plus, if something goes wrong, its a lot better at lower speeds....

Its much better for me to ride a bike that feels fast at low speed, then it is to ride a bike that feels slow at high speed.....
Its also a LOT more fun.

I know a number of guys with big powerful (expensive) bikes that find riding very boring, same old roads, same old ride, no place interesting to go in the few hours they have to ride.

I get a thrill just running to the store, its a road race, throttle pinned, fast shifting at the power peak, zooming through turns, all at legal or almost legal speeds.....
I drag race cars away from EVERY light, and often win!
Oh, the whole, "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" concept is not lost on me. It definitely has merit when it comes to fun. I enjoyed the RZ 350 for much the same reason. You had to really RIDE it to go fast, and the sound of a well ridden two stroke is quite a nice racket too!

I wouldn't really quite put the Sporty in that same category. The Sporty is more about he visceral feel from the engine throbbing out its power pulses. And the SOUND. Yeah, I do like the SOUND of a proper V-Twin. Either 45* or 90* will do.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #2547
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,340
Quote:
The mids do not work at all on new sportsters unless you are very small.

This is simply not a true statement. While I agree that the stock seating position can be a bit uncomfortable , unless you have a 34+ inch inseam, the mids can be set up for all day comfort. Even with a 34+ inch inseam it is still doable, it just takes a bit of know how.This bullshit myth that a Sportster is "too small" has become tedious. Just because a person does not no how to correctly fit themselves to a bike doesn't make it the bikes fault.

I'm a tick over 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam and my ex is 5'10" with an inseam over 33 inches. Below is a pic of us on my bike when it was less than a week old...Stock suspension, stock seat and mids. This was taken on a ten hour day ride down to Key West and back.

Harden the fuck up people.....

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 07:57 AM
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #2548
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,340
And just to squash this silliness that the TU250 is a "better" bike for taller riders than the Sporty...The ergo pics below are set for my height and inseam. 5'10" and 32 in respectively.

Please note the closeness of the hands to the knees and the bend in the knee. The Sportster has a more relaxed rider position. Ergonomically the TU250 is more cramped than a stock Sportster S or R and since all parts are easily obtained, setting up a Sporty to be comfortable is cheap and easy.

I'm glad that you love the TU. I am a fan of it as well but at nearly 1/2 a foot shorter, ain't no way now how that it is less cramped than a Sportster. Please, please stop trying to convince people otherwise.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 08:20 AM
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #2549
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
This is simply not a true statement. While I agree that the stock seating position can be a bit uncomfortable , unless you have a 34+ inch inseam, the mids can be set up for all day comfort. Even with a 34+ inch inseam it is still doable, it just takes a bit of know how.This bullshit myth that a Sportster is "too small" has become tedious. Just because a person does not no how to correctly fit themselves to a bike doesn't make it the bikes fault.

I'm a tick over 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam and my ex is 5'10" with an inseam over 33 inches. Below is a pic of us on my bike when it was less than a week old...Stock suspension, stock seat and mids. This was taken on a ten hour day ride down to Key West and back.

Harden the fuck up people.....

+1

I don't get that either. Granted, I'm not big... 5'7" on good day, and weigh about 145, but I also ride an R1150GS among others, so I just don't get the whole "the Sportster is too small" thing at all. There are a lot of smaller bikes out there.

I do agree that the seat is really too low, and for no good reason. Again, it's probably just another concession to the "looks" thing. That, and people's preoccupation with a low seat height. Hell, I have a 30" inseam and even after lifting my bike 2" I can still EASILY flat foot the bike and still have plenty of bend in my knees, so I really don't get the whole "low seat" thing either. Even still, add some height to the seat if you need to increase the peg to seat distance. But as it is, I don't have a problem with my low seat and mid controls. IMO, it's much like sitting in a dining room chair as far as knee angle goes. The bend in my knees with my seat and mids is less severe than aboard my Duc by a fair margin, and about on par with some older UJMs like my CB400F, which btw is a much smaller bike. I think it may have something to do with Harley people just having this idea in their heads that they need to be all stretched out and laid back.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #2550
s&s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Hey Everybody,

inexpensive set?
There's still one possible option.. Rear sets. I'm 6' 1" w/ 33" inseam and I prefer rear sets over mids or forwards.

s&s is offline   Reply With Quote