User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #2566
ADK
abluted

Oddometer: 8,173
Laugh

Randy, I admire how much patience you have for that troll NJ-Brett.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #2567
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Randy, I admire how much patience you have for that troll NJ-Brett.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #2568
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

And in case you missed it, I posted about my mods in THIS post, back a few pages ago...

Started with this...

And here's the result so far;;;

All told, I have about $250 in the suspension, and another $21 in the longer side stand to match the taller suspension.

I designed that custom leather seat because I wanted it that way, but for the same money I could have had Ed custom build it taller if I had wanted.

As I've said before, these bikes are very adaptable. Read through this thread to see tons of examples. Build it to suit your own individual needs or tastes... or just sell it and move on.... the choice is yours to make....

Of the seven bikes currently in my garage, only one of them (CB400F Supersport) is stock 'cause I restored it to that condition. I like making them mine.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 08:18 PM
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #2569
isldtime
The oldest kid I know

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Hey look, suspension travel and a real seat!
That is a Mike Corbin before he got too big for his breaches...

It was hand made to order and didn't cost that much!

The Good Old Days
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #2570
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I put a new seat on mine, which is enough for me. I may do the suspension but it's really not that big of an issue for me. I did a 300 mile day and it was totally fine, could have gone more if I wasn't at my destination.

Here's the new seat. Also, I don't care about my plate being obscured.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #2571
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 142
Eek

I put Intiminators in my '04 1200, but the improvements did not come until I drained the fork oil and refilled with HALF the original amount.
Thanks for the hint re the Roadster damper rods. I will be doing that.
Next Year, the Ulysses AGM will be in Alice Springs NT, and it will be the 35th anniversary of my first journey ther in 1979.

So I'll be re riding the route that I took on my BMW R60/? that used its cylinder head as a pivot point to roll completely over and try to drown me in a muddy rain rut.

Yes the roads are better now, but longer travel is always good. The Northern Territory dirt roads still have those giant ruts, and if there is no rain they fill up with dust instead, looking like a solid surface. Hit them at speed and you will take two trips; first over the bars and then to hospital.

Rob
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #2572
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
I put Intiminators in my '04 1200, but the improvements did not come until I drained the fork oil and refilled with HALF the original amount.
Thanks for the hint re the Roadster damper rods. I will be doing that.
Next Year, the Ulysses AGM will be in Alice Springs NT, and it will be the 35th anniversary of my first journey ther in 1979.

So I'll be re riding the route that I took on my BMW R60/? that used its cylinder head as a pivot point to roll completely over and try to drown me in a muddy rain rut.

Yes the roads are better now, but longer travel is always good. The Northern Territory dirt roads still have those giant ruts, and if there is no rain they fill up with dust instead, looking like a solid surface. Hit them at speed and you will take two trips; first over the bars and then to hospital.

Rob
Yeah, I think the longer dampers are the real key since they add a lot of travel to the short forks that are coming stock on the current Sportsters. Of course it depends on which model Sportster you have. Not all of the Rubbermounts had short forks. I know that the XL1200C and the XL1200R had the longer travel suspension and use the same damper rods. The improved damping of the Intiminators would help by themselves I'm sure, but there's just so much you can do with the limited travel of the stock set-up on the newer lowered models. Put the two together and you have a really noticeable improvement.

You did switch to 5W fork oil with the Intiminators, right? Their damping is set specific to that oil viscosity, and they recommend sticking close to stock oil height after installation. The main purpose of a specific fork oil height is to create a specific quantity of trapped air in the forks. This trapped air gets compressed with fork compression and acts as a very progressive spring that helps prevent hard metal to metal fork bottoming. But if your current set-up is working for you...

Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #2573
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The pegs were too far forward for me, the seat too low.
I hear you on that. The one thing I have noticed on the Sporty isn't that the pegs are too forward but that the seat is too far back. I am playing with the idea of a bench seat that allows a bit more movement fore and aft.

Quote:
A wide gas tank (4.5 gallons) on the sportster puts your legs apart and in the wind, which is nasty at 70 mph.
I have to say that I still do not understand this. I rode my bike through several states prior to having wind protection and have never experienced any real wind blast on my legs unless I purposely opened my knees out wide. The tank is wide up front and narrow towards the rear causing the wind to be forced out around my legs. I can actually feel the wind pushing my legs towards the tank, not away.

Quote:
That is a very common trend on almost every new street bike, you get one place to sit, no moving.
That is something I don't understand and I agree. It seems that most modern bikes are less ergonomically compliant than the older bikes. My CB750 is the epitome of ergonomically perfect for me. How did they get it so right in 78' yet seem completely incapable in 2013?

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #2574
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I

That is something I don't understand and I agree. It seems that most modern bikes are less ergonomically compliant than the older bikes. My CB750 is the epitome of ergonomically perfect for me. How did they get it so right in 78' yet seem completely incapable in 2013?

Form trumps function on modern bikes. It's everywhere. If it looks cool, it's in, but forget how it affects long term comfort, performance or reliability...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #2575
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotsajerkface View Post
I put a new seat on mine, which is enough for me. I may do the suspension but it's really not that big of an issue for me. I did a 300 mile day and it was totally fine, could have gone more if I wasn't at my destination.

Here's the new seat. Also, I don't care about my plate being obscured.
Looks like a great set up. I never seen bags mounted like that before. How far do you get on a tank of gas?
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #2576
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

I have to say that one of the things I like about this thread is that the ADV crowd seems to enjoy going away from the typical "praise the lowered" mantra that is all too common with Sportsters. Most here are taking a bike that started as a standard,was then slammed to the Earth by the MOCO and turning them back into the wonderful standards that they were originally. I also did the +2 ride height thing by using Works shocks and fork cartridges. For a small investment the bike now rides fantastically.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #2577
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Form trumps function on modern bikes. It's everywhere. If it looks cool, it's in, but forget how it affects long term comfort, performance or reliability...

It's very frustrating to say the least. But we also have bikes that are so purposely built that it's seems as though aesthetics wasn't even a consideration. The VStrom comes to mind. Great bike but holy hell does that thing look like......A VStrom.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #2578
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,095
Quote:
It's very frustrating to say the least.

No kidding. I was looking at HD's 2013 Sporty line-up the other day, and every single one is "low."

So basically, to get the bike I want, I'd have to buy one of those, then spend a shit-tonne more money on the thing just to put the suspension back where it is supposed to be!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #2579
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
No kidding. I was looking at HD's 2013 Sporty line-up the other day, and every single one is "low."

So basically, to get the bike I want, I'd have to buy one of those, then spend a shit-tonne more money on the thing just to put the suspension back where it is supposed to be!

Sad that we lost the X and the R. Not enough sales in the US for them to be kept in the lineup. They just aren't what the herd wants to buy.

It can actually be raised back to where it should be for around $150-200 dollars if you shop wisely. Get some used shocks from an S or R or even some RK shocks. Throw in new damper rods and you will have 2 more inches of useable travel at both ends. I decided to go for suspension that was built for me to my specs so it cost me a round $800 but it can be done for 1/4 of that.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 07:07 AM
Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #2580
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,369
I had the 4.5 gallon tank which was as wide in the back as it was in the front, or very close.
Loved the range, but picture sitting on a low stool, with your knee's out past your hips, then adding a 75 mph wind blast...

No problem if your feet are back more, or lower, or if you had a taller seat, but for a tall person, it did not work at all.
At low speeds, it was ok, but not the best.

Yes, they make lots of tanks for sportsters, another thing to fix.

But why put a big tank on a bike with little room, not much suspension, mid pegs, big pull back handlebars and a thin hard seat?

I am well aware I was stupid for buying the bike, but it did look stunning and I liked all the other Harleys I have owned.

I wish I knew you could change the damper rods to get more then 3 inches of travel out of the forks, that is a GREAT tip.

Quote:
I hear you on that. The one thing I have noticed on the Sporty isn't that the pegs are too forward but that the seat is too far back. I am playing with the idea of a bench seat that allows a bit more movement fore and aft.

I have to say that I still do not understand this. I rode my bike through several states prior to having wind protection and have never experienced any real wind blast on my legs unless I purposely opened my knees out wide. The tank is wide up front and narrow towards the rear causing the wind to be forced out around my legs. I can actually feel the wind pushing my legs towards the tank, not away.

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote