Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
What year?
That is a very good buy!
Ad says '04.

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/mcy/3747664946.html

I'm really wanting to pick up another for a build project too. Of course, as often happens, the good deals come along when I'm least able to take advantage of 'em. After just getting married, moving my new wife and daughters half way across the country, burying my father, and spending money on my 48, I don't have ANY disposable income right now. If not for that fact, I'd love to find a decent 1200 Sporty for 4 grand or under.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #2597
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,017
Why isn't the C more popular?

4.5gal tank and doesn't look as slammed.

The cast wheels and fat front tire look sharp with yellow paint too.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US....html#!gallery
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #2598
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 231
So, I guess you guys haven't seen the new 883 Iron SE available only in Italy?

Story here.

gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #2599
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post

Not sure. But, I can say that out of 4 or 5 HD dealerships I've been to in the last few months I haven't even seen one. I didn't even know this model existed until a couple of pages back.

But, I'm pretty sure that its the same as the 48, only with a larger tank, longer rear fender, two up seat, different front fender and absence of a fork brace, cast wheels (same tires though), and a few other doodads and finish differences. In fact, those same wheels are available as an accessory for the 48. I guess what I mean to say is that I'm pretty sure it's the same bike underneath, including the suspension spec. same height, etc. Just dressed up a little differently.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #2600
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post

Story here.

Nice looking bike!

3.3 gallon tank, mid controls, 48 seat and rear fender, but with low bars and what appears to be longer shocks, and perhaps forks as well. Hard to tell for sure about the suspension though. And they added a little cowl around the headlight. Not a bad looking bike at all, IMO.

ETA: After looking at some of the other pics in the article I can tell that indeed, the shocks are longer. The swing arm angle is positive instead of negative like on the 48. And there is more clearance from fender to rear tire. They also added a little chin faring/spoiler thingy. Overall I like it! Hmmm... Wonder how I'd like those bars on my 48?

Old 05-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #2601
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,635
That is a great buy.
1st year of the rubber mounted motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Ad says '04.

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/mcy/3747664946.html

I'm really wanting to pick up another for a build project too. Of course, as often happens, the good deals come along when I'm least able to take advantage of 'em. After just getting married, moving my new wife and daughters half way across the country, burying my father, and spending money on my 48, I don't have ANY disposable income right now. If not for that fact, I'd love to find a decent 1200 Sporty for 4 grand or under.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #2602
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
That is a great buy.
1st year of the rubber mounted motors.
Yeah, I'm generally a little leery of first year models after a major design change. Never really researched them to see if the '04's had any known "issues" but if I were seriously interested in the bike (read, could afford it ) I'd want to investigate that a bit before plunking down my cash. Nothing stands out in memory though so they're probably fine.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #2603
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
My "Bagster"

I finally finished mounting the paniers on my Roadster. Like I said before, a bike doesn't do me much good without a dry place to carry my books and computer. I looked at all of the normal Harley and aftermarket options but wasn't happy with the cost-benefit ratios they offered. I looked for companies that made aluminum paniers but none were the right size. Then I started looking into companies that custom make boxes and ended up buying from MuffinTop. The transaction was almost completely hassle-free. There was a mixup on their end with the shipping, but they had it fixed before I even knew anything was happening.

I had aluminum spools turned to space the boxes out. They have grooves that will still allow me to use my detachable backrest (although I cocked up one of the measurements, so I'll have to do some monkeying with the backrest to make it work).

Then I bent up some steel struts to stiffen everything up.

All the hardware is Grade 8, and I put black RTV around all of the holes to keep the boxes watertight. I haven't had much chance to ride with them yet, but I am very happy so far. The only thing I'm not totally crazy about is the lids. I didn't think about it when I ordered them, but these have a latch at each end and lift completely off. The way I use by boxes I'd really rather have a hinge at one end and a latch on the other.

Does anyone know of a hinge that I could retrofit? The lid overlaps the box all the way around, so there would have to be some kind of offset in the hinge leaves.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #2604
jnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
I finally finished mounting the paniers on my Roadster. Like I said before, a bike doesn't do me much good without a dry place to carry my books and computer. I looked at all of the normal Harley and aftermarket options but wasn't happy with the cost-benefit ratios they offered. I looked for companies that made aluminum paniers but none were the right size. Then I started looking into companies that custom make boxes and ended up buying from MuffinTop. The transaction was almost completely hassle-free. There was a mixup on their end with the shipping, but they had it fixed before I even knew anything was happening.

I had aluminum spools turned to space the boxes out. They have grooves that will still allow me to use my detachable backrest (although I cocked up one of the measurements, so I'll have to do some monkeying with the backrest to make it work).

All the hardware is Grade 8, and I put black RTV around all of the holes to keep the boxes watertight. I haven't had much chance to ride with them yet, but I am very happy so far. The only thing I'm not totally crazy about is the lids. I didn't think about it when I ordered them, but these have a latch at each end and lift completely off. The way I use by boxes I'd really rather have a hinge at one end and a latch on the other.

Does anyone know of a hinge that I could retrofit? The lid overlaps the box all the way around, so there would have to be some kind of offset in the hinge leaves.
I like it !!!!

09 Versys
jnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #2605
s&s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post

Story here.

Looks like an ok start but IMO they should have gone deeper to the parts bin... Dual front brakes, XR1200 rearsets, 2-1 exhaust and gunfighter style long solo seat. That would be something
s&s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #2606
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:

Some beautiful work there, but the engineer in me says that you should really add some sort of bottom bracing to prevent the bags from lateral flexing. There is an incredible amount of leveraged bending stress being placed on your two mounting bolts up top without anything at the bottom. A brace from the rear foot pegs would would reduce flexing and stress by a lot.
Superzoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #2607
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,813
Quote:
I finally finished mounting the paniers on my Roadster.

I dig that setup and have been contemplating something similar.

What are the box measurements?
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #2608
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
Some beautiful work there, but the engineer in me says that you should really add some sort of bottom bracing to prevent the bags from lateral flexing. There is an incredible amount of leveraged bending stress being placed on your two mounting bolts up top without anything at the bottom. A brace from the rear foot pegs would would reduce flexing and stress by a lot.
Agreed on all accounts. Especially that that is a sharp set up.

You might also consider running a brace from bag to bag behind the tire. That's what HD does on their baggers, but they hide it just inside the rear fender. You might be able to do something similar. As it is now, if you ever dropped the motorcycle, I'd hate to think what would get tweaked.

RE: the hinges you asked about. Two things come to mind. The hinges used on ammo boxes might work. Also, door hinges for wheelchairs have extra offsets, so the door swings flat against the wall. Sometimes that extra inch or two is what a wheelchair requires. Check with a handicap accessible shop or catalog.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #2609
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post

IMO it's the best option available in the current sporty lineup. I'm not a fan of the fat front tire though, and it needs another disc in the front.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #2610
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
I'm a recovering aerospace engineer (BS with an emphasis on structures, six years in R&D) so I get what you're saying, but the triangulation from those steel braces greatly reduces lateral flexing and any bending moment on the bolts. They can't flex in (and bend the mounting bolts) without deforming the triangle, which would mean flexing that ~1/8" steel bar. I was thinking about tying off to the passenger footpeg bracket, but after it was all assembled I'm confident it's not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I dig that setup and have been contemplating something similar.

What are the box measurements?
The boxes are 13" high, 18" long, and 9" wide. I sized them to be just big enough for the backpack and gym bag I always carry.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote