Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #2611
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
I'm a recovering aerospace engineer (BS with an emphasis on structures, six years in R&D) so I get what you're saying, but the triangulation from those steel braces greatly reduces lateral flexing and any bending moment on the bolts. They can't flex in (and bend the mounting bolts) without deforming the triangle, which would mean flexing that ~1/8" steel bar. I was thinking about tying off to the passenger footpeg bracket, but after it was all assembled I'm confident it's not necessary.

Well, I'm no rocket scientist, but I'd be concerned more about the torsional load you're placing on the frame struts when the bags are heavily loaded and on rough roads. Triangulation may be all and good but a box is still stronger. Is there any way you can tie the boxes together near the bottom? Maybe run a brace in front of or around behind the rear tire even?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #2612
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Well, I'm no rocket scientist, but I'd be concerned more about the torsional load you're placing on the frame struts when the bags are heavily loaded and on rough roads. Triangulation may be all and good but a box is still stronger. Is there any way you can tie the boxes together near the bottom? Maybe run a brace in front of or around behind the rear tire even?
I could run extra bracing, but I've had my hands on this setup as it is and I'm convinced it's not necessary. Those frame struts have a stout shape to them, twisting them would be the least of my worries. I'm fairly certain that the the bolts and washers would pull through the aluminum skin of the boxes way before anything would happen to the struts.

When I was doing all of searching for an off-the-shelf application I came across a website that showed a dude standing with one foot on each saddlebag. I wish I could find it again, but their system didn't involve any cross-bracing between the bags. And I know dynamic loads are different than static loads, but no bigger than these boxes are the amount of weight I'm going to be carrying is limited anyway.

I'll run it like this for a while and report back if anything twists/cracks/falls off/bursts into flame.
TheOtherBart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #2613
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
And I know dynamic loads are different than static loads, but no bigger than these boxes are the amount of weight I'm going to be carrying is limited anyway.

I'll run it like this for a while and report back if anything twists/cracks/falls off/bursts into flame.
As for dynamic loading I know that the safety harnesses we wear at work must be hooked to something capable of holding 5,000lbs, after the free fall when the lanyard grabs that's the max load osha expects with a 300lb person.

Report back how it works though. I'd like to come up witb something on my bike and there's not much at the bottom to attach to. The footpegs move with the suspension, as we all know, so that makes it harder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #2614
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Well, as I said, I'm not an engineer. The fender struts are stout pieces for sure, but I do believe that they are cast pieces as well. They were designed to hold the rear fender and assorted hardware like lights and such, and support the vertical load of a pillion. I have no idea how well they will hold up to the constant oscillating torsion created by your bag mount when loaded and underway. As you said, they'll probably be fine, but a cracked fender strut would be a bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
The footpegs move with the suspension, as we all know, so that makes it harder.
AFAIK, the passenger peg mounts on the rubbermounts ('04+) are frame mounted and don't move with the suspension. I built a bracket to mount my Licks solo bag that uses this mounting point as well as a P-clamp to the frame beneath the battery cover...

I didn't like the traditional mounting method of the Licks bag because it allows the bag to contact, and eventually wear, painted surfaces on the swingarm and battery cover. With the bracket I was able to create the necessary stand-off and position the bag exactly where I wanted it so that there is no contact between the bag and bike other than through the bracket mounting points.

I wish I could take credit for this idea, but I stole it from HD when I saw their new solo bag for the Sportster. The Harley solo bag comes with a mounting bracket almost exactly like the one I built, and uses the same mounting points. It wouldn't work if the peg mounts moved in relation to the frame.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 10:40 AM
Old 05-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #2615
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post
So, I guess you guys haven't seen the new 883 Iron SE available only in Italy?

Story here.

Typical! Get it right and don't let us buy it in North America. Pirates Only Please, seems to be the theme at the MOCO???
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #2616
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Typical! Get it right and don't let us buy it in North America. Pirates Only Please, seems to be the theme at the MOCO???
Lyle
Sadly, by and large, that does seem to be the largest segment of the HD customer base here. I know it's pervasive in my area. Almost exclusively actually. Most any time I see a gathering of Harleys, or even most solo bikes, it has a pirate aboard. I don't get it... In fact, it was one of the things that kept me away from the brand. Now I just don't give a shit. I don't need to "fit in" to enjoy my bike. I ride what I like and to hell with the rest...

But, as a marketing ploy I guess that the whole "lifestyle" thing has served the MOCO well for quite some time. To each their own I suppose...

Old 05-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #2617
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Well, as I said, I'm not an engineer. The fender struts are stout pieces for sure, but I do believe that they are cast pieces as well. They were designed to hold the rear fender and assorted hardware like lights and such, and support the vertical load of a pillion. I have no idea how well they will hold up to the constant oscillating torsion created by your bag mount when loaded and underway. As you said, they'll probably be fine, but a cracked fender strut would be a bitch.

If a 300Lb biker mama riding on the pillion don't break them off I don't think a a loaded saddle bag is going to do anything

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #2618
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Lyle
HD knows their American customers.

IIRC, wasn't the XR1200 originally slated as a Europe only bike?
They released it in the states after people complained and cancelled the model after poor sales here.
Of course, HDs idea of poor sales would be an increase for most other manufacturers.
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #2619
jnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Sadly, by and large, that does seem to be the largest segment of the HD customer base here. I know it's pervasive in my area. Almost exclusively actually. Most any time I see a gathering of Harleys, or even most solo bikes, it has a pirate aboard. I don't get it... In fact, it was one of the things that kept me away from the brand. Now I just don't give a shit. I don't need to "fit in" to enjoy my bike. I ride what I like and to hell with the rest...

But, as a marketing ploy I guess that the whole "lifestyle" thing has served the MOCO well for quite some time. To each their own I suppose...

Well said...my feelings also...............

09 Versys
jnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #2620
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Here's another modified Sportster 48 I like. This one looks like the rear was raised as well (air suspension), but they need to move the controls from forward to mid, imo. (sorry about the size)

epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #2621
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
Here's another modified Sportster 48 I like. This one looks like the rear was raised as well (air suspension), but they need to move the controls from forward to mid, imo. (sorry about the size)

Actually, that was has been slammed even more than a stock 48. Here's a look at mine when completely stock... Take a look at the swingarm angle and the distance from the rear fender struts to the rear rim. Then look at the forks and compare the distance between the dust cap and the lower triple...

I felt folded over enough on mine when I had the forwards on it. With the 48's relatively low and forward bars, combined with the forward controls, everytime I rode it I couldn't get the image of a taco out of my head. I can't even image riding this one with the flat bars.

Sorry, but that bike is like so many today, and the reason that HD is now lowering all of their Sportsters. It's built to be looked at more than actually enjoyed while riding. Not a bad "looking" bike, but I wouldn't want to own it or even ride it. If that's your cup of tea then more power to ya, but me personally?

No offense intended...

Randy screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 03:07 PM
Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #2622
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
No offense intended...
None taken. I like the style of it - the springer seat, white-walls, and paint job, but I'd make the same mods you did to improve the ride/raise the height.
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #2623
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
None taken. I like the style of it - the springer seat, white-walls, and paint job, but I'd make the same mods you did to improve the ride/raise the height.

Don't get me wrong. I like the LOOK of a lot of the tricked out Sportsters I've seen, including that one, and my own personal 48 before I modded it. And I'm still making concessions to have the look that I want too. Things like putting up with the very limited range of the stock peanut tank for example. The low fuel light comes on at 60-70 miles. I'm used to my GS than can EASILY more than double that range. And then there's the tube type tires necessitated by the spoked wheels.... Ever had a flat on a street bike with tube tires? And speaking of tires.... that big fat front tire isn't the best for unsprung weight, turn in, or holding a line while leaned over and on the brakes.... And there are other little things too... BUT, I do really like the LOOK of those items and they're concessions to looks that I'M willing to make on MY bike.

There was no point to putting up with sub-par braking, IMO though. And the ride quality severely limited my ability to enjoy the ride on anything other than perfectly smooth pavement... something we don't have an abundance of around here. And then there was the lack of cornering clearance.... something that I just couldn't sacrifice because I enjoy a spirited ride without worrying about running out of lean angle prematurely.

Soooo, I decided to keep the elements that I liked and do something about those that I didn't. Everything about motorcycles is a compromise of sorts. And I realize that not everyone places the same priorities on the same things that I do. To each their own.

On the bike above... There's a few things I do like, and even some that I've considered doing myself, and still may....

I was just thinking about bobbing the rear fender the other night. Don't want to chop the fender struts but I was looking at how much could be cut from the fender. Even went so far as to look on ebay for a used fender. FYI, you can buy a brand new fender, in primer, for about half the cost that most are going for on ebay, and that need painting anyway. So, if I decide to do a fender bob I'll keep my stocker stock and get a new one to cut and repaint.

I've also considered relocating the coil to clean up the area above the front rocker cover. But, I don't want to cut my harness and it's not easy to do a wire tuck without removing some of the harness plugs or lifting the tank, neither of which I want to do... so....

The first 48 I ever saw , and actually the bike that was sitting out front and prompted me to go into the HD dealership in the first place, was a customer owned bike and it had a brown springer seat on it. For a time I really liked the looks of those, although my taste has changed on that one now. IDK, since I've never tried one, but I've read that they can be a little "springy" and I don't think I'd like that. And I really like the seat I have now. It's padded and longer than stock so you can shift around a bit. Quite nice, IMO.

The lower, flatter bars is something that I've just recently considered trying after seeing it on the Italian model above. I KNOW it wouldn't have worked for me with the forwards since I don't want to ride touching my toes, but with the mids I might just like a little more forward lean and aggressive riding position. I'd like to try a set to see anyway, but actually the stock bars give me a slight forward cant to my torso now and they seem to be working out pretty well , so IDK...

So, again, it's all about personal taste and although I may not understand some of it, and can at times perhaps make rather brash statements to that effect, I still think that everyone should rock whatever makes THEM smile regardless of who else does or does not "get it".

Same goes for the "lifestyle" comments I made earlier... It's not my cup of tea, but if there are any of those types out there reading this, I sincerely hope you don't take offense with MY lack of understanding of YOUR personal thing. Hell, until a few months ago, it was beyond my comprehension why anyone would even want a cruiser, let alone a "Harley"

Old 05-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #2624
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I like the LOOK of a lot of the tricked out Sportsters I've seen, including that one, and my own personal 48 before I modded it...
I think the only thing left to do on mine is buy a new gas tank and play with metalflake paint, and maybe trade the biltwell chumps out for a nice set of pullback bars. I seem to be mixing the 40s and the 70s style on the 48.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #2625
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotsajerkface View Post
I think the only thing left to do on mine is buy a new gas tank and play with metalflake paint, and maybe trade the biltwell chumps out for a nice set of pullback bars. I seem to be mixing the 40s and the 70s style on the 48.
Those bars are nice looking. I'm not a big fan of the feel with them though. Just doesn't feel right to me.

I have a set of stock buckhorn bars sitting in my garage if you want them. Similar feel at least, but not as many cool points.

What's the general opinion on the mini ape hangers? I have heard that the smaller ones, maybe 10", are actually pretty comfortable. I have enough cable length for 8" i'd say, maybe 10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote