Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #2626
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Those bars are nice looking. I'm not a big fan of the feel with them though. Just doesn't feel right to me.

I have a set of stock buckhorn bars sitting in my garage if you want them. Similar feel at least, but not as many cool points.

What's the general opinion on the mini ape hangers? I have heard that the smaller ones, maybe 10", are actually pretty comfortable. I have enough cable length for 8" i'd say, maybe 10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
The chumps are pretty nice. Just on a recent trip, I really wanted to lean back into my pack so I wanted to bring the bars back a bit, and ran across those. I'm not sold on the rabbit ears, I just want narrow, with some pullback. I have the luxury of legal lanesplitting and don't want my arms too far out. I wish I could just have the chumps, but a few degrees more inward. But I also really like these.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #2627
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,400
Not really big on the huge front tyre, or graphics on the tank of the 48.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #2628
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Lyle
Cool thing about capitalism is you don't have to buy it. And it's a "tire" here in 'Merica.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #2629
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
Quote:
Lyle
Well, that, like most things in motorcycling, is a matter of personal taste.

I actually like the look of the fat tire, although as I alluded to earlier, it isn't the best thing from a performance perspective.

And the "graphics" are the same. I'm not crazy about 'em on all of the colors, but on my gold metal flake, Hard Candy Custom paint job I really like it. Not sure what technique was used to accomplish it but the "graphics" show up differently depending on lighting. Photographs don't do that paint job justice, IMO, and rarely ever show the way the "graphics" look in person.

Take this pic of mine for example...

Compared to...

It's sorta like a ghost flame effect or something...

This is the best paint I've ever seen on a production motorcycle and was one of the things that originally captivated me when I first saw it..

But, once again, to each their own...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 07:53 AM
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #2630
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Lyle
I like the tires, especially with white-walls, and it's consistent with the vintage look they're going for. Yeah, they're not helping performance, but someone buying isn't cross-shopping it with a Ducati.
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #2631
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, so maybe it doesn't fit into the "Go" dept, but I thought I'd post my most recent addition to my Sporty anyway.

As we all know, the Sportster has NO onboard storage at all. So shortly after becoming infected with the Sporty bug I started looking around and learning about them a bit. During all this I discovered the Licks solo bag and liked the looks and the idea of having a little storage for "stuff".

So, after a bit I found a "new" used one for sale by a member over on xlforum and picked it up for a decent price. I didn't want to bother mounting it until I got the suspension stuff sorted so I just stuck it back. But, I did read about how to mount them and didn't really like what I found. They basically just strap on at a few points and this allows them to rub on various painted parts of the bike. I really didn't want to chafe the paint on my new bike...

Then as time went by I discovered that Harley had came out with their own version of the solo bag. But, Harley actually did a good job, IMO, by developing an actual mounting bracket with theirs. And actually, the HD bag is a pretty good deal all things considered. But, I already had a nice Licks bag, and I actually liked the trimmer design of the Licks bag over the larger HD unit. SO, I started thinking... Yeah, a dangerous thing sometimes, I know...

So, anyway, a little investigation and starting a thread over on xlforum gave me an idea! I'd see if I could replicate my own version of the HD mounting bracket to use to mount my Licks solo bag.

It took a little thinking and a little work but I turned out this...

And mounted in place....

And with the bag attached....

It's sturdy as hell, and as you can see, mounted this way it makes no contact with the battery cover, swingarm, or any other painted surface...

If anyone is interested in how I built it I did a full write-up on it HERE.

Licks also makes a bag for the right side. Now that I've figured out the bracket I'm considering adapting my design to make one for the right side bag too, just for a little more storage capacity, just in case....

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #2632
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Ok, so maybe it doesn't fit into the "Go" dept, but I thought I'd post my most recent addition to my Sporty anyway.
I think of the thread title now more like "Go Team".

You sure are right about NO storage! Thanks for the mounting info, Randy!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #2633
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
I think of the thread title now more like "Go Team".

You sure are right about NO storage! Thanks for the mounting info, Randy!
Yeah, I never was sure how that title was meant to be taken, but back earlier in the thread I saw where someone had taken it as "Go" Sportsters as opposed to "Show" Sportsters, so I just sorta went with that as being the theme.

And Jesus H! I just realized that I had already posted about my Licks bag mount back on the last page! I must be losing my freakin' MIND!

Oh well, at least I added a couple of pics and the link to my write-up thread in the last one...

GEESH!

Old 05-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #2634
skysailor
Rat Rider

Ha a look at a 1200C yesterday. Holiday weekend, so the shop closed early. I was ready to put a deposit on a black one. The fit and finish on H-D "out of the box" is second to none. The seating position was perfect for me. Not normally a Harley guy, but it "spoke" to me. Looked at a few other bikes yesterday as well. Want to replace my present ride with one with "soul".
How does the C handle compared to other Sportsters? Wasn't crazy about the large front tire, but I can't see it from the saddle, and I've been told it improves handling.
Lyle
Old 05-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #2635
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ha a look at a 1200C yesterday. Holiday weekend, so the shop closed early. I was ready to put a deposit on a black one. The fit and finish on H-D "out of the box" is second to none. The seating position was perfect for me. Not normally a Harley guy, but it "spoke" to me. Looked at a few other bikes yesterday as well. Want to replace my present ride with one with "soul".

Yep. Pretty much the same here.

Quote:
How does the C handle compared to other Sportsters? Wasn't crazy about the large front tire, but I can't see it from the saddle, and I've been told it improves handling.
Lyle
AFAIK, the C is the same bike as the 48 outside of the styling differences. The wheels are cast instead of spoked but the tires are the same, as is the suspension, so I would assume that the handling is the same as well. Mine handled fine outside of the limited cornering clearance and ride quality that I've posted about in this thread. It's not a razor of course but it handles predictably and I'm happy with it for the purpose I had in mind for it. At least now that I've done my mods. Of course your needs and expectations may not be the same as mine so mods are optional.

Did you take a test ride yet?

Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #2636
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,928
Quote:
[RE fat front tire:] and I've been told it improves handling.
Lyle

Remember that "handling" to Harley gys is stability in a straight line or slightly leaned in a wide sweeper which a big front tire will certainly help with.

Actual handling, IE being able to change direction quickly, having low effort steering and being easy and controlled to flick over to any angle you want any time? Well a fat front tire hurts every single one of these.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #2637
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Remember that "handling" to Harley gys is stability in a straight line or slightly leaned in a wide sweeper which a big front tire will certainly help with.

Actual handling, IE being able to change direction quickly, having low effort steering and being easy and controlled to flick over to any angle you want any time? Well a fat front tire hurts every single one of these.
In theory yes, but tire size is but one part of the equation. There's also other things to consider, like tire profile, chassis geometry, etc. The radius of the tread area has a lot to do with "handling", speed of turn in, and transitions.

Granted, a wider front tire moves its contact patch further from the centerline when leaned over as compared to a narrower tire. This does create the tendency to "stand up" when on the brakes and leaned over, and it's relative speed of direction changes. But keep in mind too that the front tire on the 48 and C is a 130. Most sport bikes use a 120 front, so we're only talking about 10mm (about 0.40") in total width, with half (0.20") of that being on each side of the tire centerline. The real visual difference in these tires is due to the fact that they have a taller aspect ratio and are mounted on a 16" rim so that they have roughly the same overall height as a lower profile tire mounted on a larger rim.

And, just to be clear, I'm not a "Harley guy". In fact before this bike I've always been pretty much hard core anti-Harley. My taste has always leaned more toward "performance" in some area or another, and I never saw harleys as performing in ANY area. But, now that I've actually ridden one I've had to admit that my bike actually doesn't handle too bad at all. It's not a Ducati, but then again I didn't expect it to be. And it's actually surprised me in the fact that it now handles pretty damn well. If you're not planning to chase Ricky Racer down the local twisty road, and are just wanting to take a nice ride in the country side, enjoy the scenery, and still be able to wick it up and have a nice blast in the twisties on occasion, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I know I'm not. Now that I increased the ground clearance at least.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #2638
skysailor
Rat Rider

I'm pretty sold on it. I owned an '05 1200C. Really liked it. My Bandit is just too hard on my wrists....and it's just not happy below 130 kph. (80 mph). I like a little more of an upright riding posture, and the forward controls are not very extreme, and are nice when I'm paddling the bike around in my driveway. I don't bash my shins on mids. I'm curious. What do they go for stateside? With a chrome package, it runs about 12500$ here. I don't think that's too out of line.
Lyle
Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #2639
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm pretty sold on it. I owned an '05 1200C. Really liked it. My Bandit is just too hard on my wrists....and it's just not happy below 130 kph. (80 mph). I like a little more of an upright riding posture, and the forward controls are not very extreme, and are nice when I'm paddling the bike around in my driveway. I don't bash my shins on mids. I'm curious. What do they go for stateside? With a chrome package, it runs about 12500$ here. I don't think that's too out of line.
Lyle
MSRP is listed as starting at $10,499 for the custom here according the HD site. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...00-custom.html

No idea what that translates to in the dealership though.

Forwards vs. mids are a personal taste thing. I hated them and found them to place an inordinate amount of weight on the wrong part of my ass. Even the stock 48 seat was pretty comfortable for me once I switched to the mid controls, not to mention the more neutral riding position. They also took a lot of the feeling of control away, IMO, and I didn't like the way they affected my perception of the bike's handling. The mids are a much better "control position" to me. Less like just being taken for a ride and more like RIDING.

And, while I've read that before, I still have as of yet to bash my shins. Maybe if all someone has ever used has been forwards... but for me every bike has it's pegs down there around my ankles/shins when my feet are on the ground so I've never seen the issue with that.

Good luck on getting the bike you like.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #2640
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
[QUOTE=Randy

As we all know, the Sportster has NO onboard storage at all.

[/QUOTE]

I put Leather Pro's saddlebags on mine; they are larger than just about any thing I've seen on a Sportster, but I want to actually carry stuff. Next thing may be a solo seat and luggage rack, but all the racks I can find look they were designed to carry maybe a beach towel and a sandwich.